U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM

142 posts, read 187,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl97 View Post
What a great thread! I've had a blast reminiscing about the ways things were... some of the places mentioned were before my time, but for the children of the 80s, remember The Closet at North Hills? And Thom McCann and Kinney's shoes at Crabtree? I vividly remember those shopping trips. We also did a lot of shopping at the Belk's downtown (The Bargain Basement).

Good times!!
I remember all of this. The best shoes ever came from Kinneys and the best clothes (ESPRIT, Bongo) from The Closet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
The time capsule will be opened in 2018 I believe...I'll check for sure. I live in Midtown in the old North Hills Estates. The Cardinal theater actually was where the Bone Fish is now.

I remember all that stuff..here's a few. Dunn's Ice Cream, Roy's on Downtown Blvd across from the ballpark, The Broiler, Chargrill on Downtown Blvd next to the ballpark, Homer Briarhopper's, The Wake Theater downtown, Woodrow, The Hat Ladies, Bell's Drive Inn, The Windmill, the original Forest Drive Inn on capital just inside the beltline, jumping off the old overhead bridge at Lassiter Mill....very interesting thread. I plan on going back and reading all the replies first chance.
My mom & dad met at Homer Briarhoppers! Where was that place??

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 AM

11 posts, read 15,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
For some reason I thought that place had a restaurant at the top that spins...really slowly of course, but maybe I'm going crazy. I still call it the Holiday Inn.

Anyone willing to add to the list? I think it would be fun!

ROTFL...that would be the Space Needle in Seattle Wa.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM

2,503 posts, read 2,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc789 View Post
My mom & dad met at Homer Briarhoppers! Where was that place??
On Poole Rd. on the right just before the Neuse River. After the club closed an auto body shop went in along with an "open air market" in the front. I'm not sure how the building is being used now. It was one swinging joint in it's day.

Homer A. Briarhopper

Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM

8,061 posts, read 10,578,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltwistr View Post
There are lots of places with restaurants on top that revolve, not just in Seattle (I've been in one in Atlanta, to name just one). I, too, remember a rumor back in the 70s that the Holiday Inn restaurant revolved, but I think it was just a rumor. I was too young to ever go. Did you ever actually live in Raleigh, or are you just butting into the thread?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
On Poole Rd. on the right just before the Neuse River. After the club closed an auto body shop went in along with an "open air market" in the front. I'm not sure how the building is being used now. It was one swinging joint in it's day.

Homer A. Briarhopper
Thank you soo much! I probably drive right past it twice a day LOL!!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Here are the things I remember/miss the most:

The original playground equipment at Pullen Park
Pinestate ice cream sandwiches
Hayes Barton - learned to swim there - remember the swings?
Shoneys - S. Wilmington St.
Godfathers Pizza somewhere near Shoneys
Ducks at Montlawn (still there I know)
Finchs - my dad's first job
Pigeon feeding
PM Magazine - an evening news/talkshow (I was on it when I was in 4th grade)
Thalhimers - Cameron Village
Kmart - the one that flooded Wake Forest/Six Forks
Farm Fresh - bag your own grocery concept
Golden Skillet - best chicken
The Mecca - lunch with my dad (he went there everyday)
North Hills - Moonlight Madness sales, the pet store & Andy's pizza
Crabtree- the fountainm, the arcade & the pet store
Cary Towne Center was Cary Village Mall and it had an arcade

I was born (1974) at the Old Rex

Old 05-08-2011, 12:46 AM

2,569 posts, read 4,366,587 times
^Great additions. Some things I can remember!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM

2,231 posts, read 4,066,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are lots of places with restaurants on top that revolve, not just in Seattle (I've been in one in Atlanta, to name just one). I, too, remember a rumor back in the 70s that the Holiday Inn restaurant revolved, but I think it was just a rumor. I was too young to ever go. Did you ever actually live in Raleigh, or are you just butting into the thread?
The former Holiday Inn downtown Raleigh did indeed used to rotate just like the one on top of the Westin Peachtree downtown Atlanta. It would take one hour to make a full rotation. I'm not sure if the restaurant is still open now that it's a Clarion but if it is go pay a visit. The gap in the floor where you step onto the turntable is still visible even though it no longer rotates.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM

2,569 posts, read 4,366,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltwistr View Post
So did the Holiday Inn in Raleigh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary