Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,532,772 times

Advertisements

This isn't really that old...but does everyone remember that Hotel (I think it was a hotel, want to say a marriot, but I really have no clue) that was near Crabtree Valley Mall that looked like a smiley face on the side? It had two large bay windows at the top (it was probably around 15-20 stories high) and then some words written in red letters as the "mouth". I think the "mouth" was taken down several years ago, and then they imploded that building (it was a huge story and a big crowd gathered to watch it) just a few years ago; I want to say 2004 or 2005. Back in the mid 90's when we first moved to the Triangle and lived in N. Raleigh (even I as a "newcomer" always considered Crabtree N. Raleigh) my kids used to love that building and make some comment anytime we would drive them buy it. I never actually knew what it was though, always a assumed a hotel or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 22,633 times
Here are a few food related one.

-Crossroads Restaurant above Crabtree
-Chi Chi's restaurant on Old Wake Forest
-The Free Standing All Star Bike shop next to Chi Chi's on Old Wake forest 1981?
-Suds? laundry/bar on Western Blvd
-Hearts Delight Ice Cream on Millbrook Road.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,795,807 times
MMM! Chi Chi's! My first encounter with fried ice cream!

Anyone go to Camp Ranoca as a kid?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:03 AM

932 posts, read 1,264,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
MMM! Chi Chi's! My first encounter with fried ice cream!
I second that! I remember my dad taking me there for my 13th (?) birthday! SOOO yummy!

I had also forgotten about darryls on hillsborough- used to go there for dinner before school dances!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,426,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This isn't really that old...but does everyone remember that Hotel (I think it was a hotel, want to say a marriot, but I really have no clue) that was near Crabtree Valley Mall that looked like a smiley face on the side? It had two large bay windows at the top (it was probably around 15-20 stories high) and then some words written in red letters as the "mouth". I think the "mouth" was taken down several years ago, and then they imploded that building (it was a huge story and a big crowd gathered to watch it) just a few years ago; I want to say 2004 or 2005. Back in the mid 90's when we first moved to the Triangle and lived in N. Raleigh (even I as a "newcomer" always considered Crabtree N. Raleigh) my kids used to love that building and make some comment anytime we would drive them buy it. I never actually knew what it was though, always a assumed a hotel or something.
Are you thinking about the Sheraton?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh2Cary View Post
Here are a few food related one.

-Crossroads Restaurant above Crabtree
-Chi Chi's restaurant on Old Wake Forest
-The Free Standing All Star Bike shop next to Chi Chi's on Old Wake forest 1981?
-Suds? laundry/bar on Western Blvd
-Hearts Delight Ice Cream on Millbrook Road.
CrossRoads Restaurant above Crabtree - what's up with that property?? Can anybody tell me the history of that place?

I ate lunch there about 15 years ago...

A friend of a friend remembers when COWS used to graze at Crabtree Valley - I can't imagine that?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 PM

3,367 posts, read 7,726,594 times
The last time I drove by that way on the way to the mall it looked like there had been a fire and much of the building was destroyed.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,532,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Are you thinking about the Sheraton?
I honestly don't know. I just remember it was a tall buliding that on one side, only had 2 windows and they were at the very top. Then below those two windows, there was some large plastic words (can't remember what it said) and it made it look like the building had a face on that side. I believe it sat empty for a while, and they imploded it (one of those big spectator demoltions that was on the news and drew a big crowd) just a few years ago.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I honestly don't know. I just remember it was a tall buliding that on one side, only had 2 windows and they were at the very top. Then below those two windows, there was some large plastic words (can't remember what it said) and it made it look like the building had a face on that side. I believe it sat empty for a while, and they imploded it (one of those big spectator demoltions that was on the news and drew a big crowd) just a few years ago.
I'm 99.999999% sure it was The Sheraton. They used to have a great Sunday breakfast buffet in the early 80's....

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,035,985 times
Default reply

That hill above Crabtree where Crossroads used to be was originally the home of Kidd Brewer. It was always known as Kidd's Hill. He built it in the early 50's prior to his running for governor and going to federal prison. There was a large pond where the mall is today and cows as well. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary