Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Does anybody remember the Gene Jenkins "mayor for raleigh" (I think) radio campaign? Maybe around 1988?

The radio ads featured this guy names Jene Genkins. He always started out by saying something like "That's Jene with a J and Genkins with a G."
You have to have been living here to really appreciate the impact "Jene Genkins" had on the community and Raleigh Radio in general.

Anybody else remember???????
I do, indeed, remember the PSAs. I was living near Goldsboro at the time and I remember that EVERYONE was talking about the spots. They were too bizarre to be taken seriously and too sincere and homespun to be discounted. They were hilarious. And within no time more people knew the name Jene Genkins than the name of then-Governor Whoseywhatsit.

For years I would tell my kids -- who were too young to get them at the time -- about the radio spots, the candidate and his proposals, but I could never do them justice.

Now that they've resurfaced I am just about as pleased as a pig on the fourth of July.

________________YourFriendinFuquay________________
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
For those of us that lived out in the country going to Raleigh was a big deal just like it was for Andy and Barney. Anyone remember the Collins and Warren restaurant? My mom would take her mom shopping in Raleigh which always meant lunch at C&W, Woolworth's or maybe even K&W. Of course we would visit Grandaddy at Montlawn and feed the ducks. Mr Peanut welcomed us to town of course and the hot dogs and apple pies at the Hardee's across the street were always a treat. My oldest brother drove a 63 Beetle and I remember going to the dealer in town on one occasion to get a new radio speaker for the Bendix radio. I got to keep the magnet from the old speaker! Wasn't that Harmon VW? Remember coming into town on South Saunders st and seeing the big natural gas tank near DuPont Circle? Anyone remember seeing planes at the Raleigh Municiple Airport? Shopping at Kings Dept Store?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
and there was another Andy's location. Anybody remember?
The Andy's Pizza at North Hills had a different owner, but the pizza always tasted the same to me.

My parents still call Triangle Town Center "the new mall".

Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Couple years late here, but my family and I used to go to Skate Town all the time growing up. We knew Ben the owner and all the workers there. When he decided to close my dad asked ben if he could come in and take up the floor so for 2 days straight my dad took up the floor piece by piece. Then he laid it back out in our living room, put a sealant over it and now it's our living room floor. Very special to us!

Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The Andy's Pizza at North Hills had a different owner, but the pizza always tasted the same to me.

My parents still call Triangle Town Center "the new mall".
The North Hills Andy's gave me the worst heartburn which I rarely get. Quail Corner's was fine.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 AM

Here's an old one for you Raleigh folks...The Rock Store

Old 10-31-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy3342 View Post
Couple years late here, but my family and I used to go to Skate Town all the time growing up. We knew Ben the owner and all the workers there. When he decided to close my dad asked ben if he could come in and take up the floor so for 2 days straight my dad took up the floor piece by piece. Then he laid it back out in our living room, put a sealant over it and now it's our living room floor. Very special to us!
I skated there a few times in the early 70's, but spent lots of time at Wayne's Rollercade earlier. My wife went to Skate Town when she was coming along. She knew all those folks too.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:12 PM

164 posts, read 143,789 times
You know you are from Raleigh if...

... you have traveled every path that US1 has taken

... you remember when there were motels on Hillsborough Street between the Fairgrounds and Cary

... you know where the bones of the old oval tracks are buried.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy3342 View Post
That's awesome! I remember Skate Town from when I was really young; I think it closed when I was still in elementary school in the late 90s. We'd go for what seemed like the whole day (but not because it was slow/boring).

Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeerHeer View Post
You know you are from Raleigh if...

... you have traveled every path that US1 has taken

... you remember when there were motels on Hillsborough Street between the Fairgrounds and Cary

... you know where the bones of the old oval tracks are buried.
Yes
Yes
Yes-if you mean the speedway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary