Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,835 times

Advertisements

We have been looking into this area and have found a couple of home we really like. Does anyone know the area? Or what restrictions there are?

The one thing that is a concern is the commute to work from there as well. Are there any 'short cuts' to Raleigh? It seems an easy drive, but it also looks like it will be a busy one on the weekdays when everyone is rushing to get to work. Can someone tell me the typical commute time? It took us about 30 minutes at 5:00 on a Saturday.

Are there parks near by? We kind of tried looking, all we saw was the Clemmons Educational Park, but thought that there may be more. It looks like a nice area, but we want to make sure! We plan on moving as soon as possible.. after we compare a few places and get some other things set in stone.

Being that this is our first home.. we don't know anything about closing costs, how much less you can put in for a house (I am guessing not much..?) The house we like is on the border of what we were preapproved for.. which means no money to get appliances/etc (we don't want to be too tight!) If anyone has any advice, please feel free to let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM

266 posts, read 1,050,696 times
Default You do not give enough information...

so that we can answer everything you ask. Negotiation wiggle room will depend on many factors. Commute time and short cuts will depend on where you are going. I can tell you that if iot took 30 minutes on a weekend, it will take at least 50% more during the week, depending on time of day. It is great if you have some flexibility with your work hours. That helps tremendously as it is best to avoid peak hours. Restrictions can be found at the Johnston County register of deeds, where they must be recorded.
Johnston County parks can be researched at:
Johnston County - Johnston County Government

Last edited by House Lady; 02-24-2008 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: wrong thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,175,404 times
Are you talking about Plantation Pointe that is located inside of Flowers Plantation? If so, there are built by Robert Massengill. I actually showed the Lakeside Townes, which are the townhouses built by him. My client and I thought they were quite nice and you got alot of extras for the price.

As for how much you should put down and how much your closing costs will run, I'd suggest you contact your lender that did your pre qualification and ask them for a good faith estimate. This will give you a very good estimate of what monies you'll need for closing, etc.

Ask about the first time homebuyer's plan, as the interest rate is usually lower and its truly an advantage to first time homebuyers, if you qualify.

Other than that, your best bet is to find a Realtor that you can trust and that knows the area and has experience with first time homebuyers.

Do understand that the onsite people work for the builder/seller. You need an agent that works for you. You do not pay your agent so its free to you but will save you tons of money. Good luck!

Vicki

Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Thank you,

There is flexibility for work hours, as long as the 8 hours are put in.. would leaving to get to work earlier or later be better? Typically speaking.. we'd leave the house about 8-8:30. But that would be rush hour I think? (Sorry.. I grew up in a SMALL town, population 700.. not close to big cities!) I just thought there may be some shortcuts to get to 40 or something we didn't know about, instead of going straight through the city of Clayton.

Thank you for the link! I will go read the restrictions, I appreciate your help!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 AM

266 posts, read 1,050,696 times
Default Flexible work hours are great...

and I wish we all had them. We would have far less traffic everywhere! Early is usually better. For most areas you would need to leave before 7:30 AM to escape the worst traffic. It seems strange, but once you get your timing down, it will be easy. Then you will see that a drive that takes thirty minutes when you leave at, say, 7:25 will take 30 minutes. If you leave 5 minutes later it can take you 45 minutes or more. That's how fast the traffic can build up. The actual town of Clayton is small and you usually do not go through it to get to I-40 from most of the neighborhoods. It can be misleading to go by the addresses of homes you see online. They may have a mailing address for a certain town, but be a very long distance from the town proper. It's just the way the post office designations work. Be sure to map any you see online (if you are looking there yet)
The previous link I gave you was for parks and other area info. Try this one to see documents associated with Plantation Point. Go to the bottom left for pages. This one is to Page 1. There have been several amendments to the covenants (restrictions) so you may want to look at all of them on Pages 3 and 4. PM me if you have any problems. Johnston County Register of Deeds Online Search

Last edited by House Lady; 02-25-2008 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: page number

Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 AM

214 posts, read 700,799 times
From Flowers, you can go the back way to Raleigh depending upon where exactly you are going. You can go down Pritchard Road (the one that goes by Riverwood) and that turns into Smithfield Road in Wake COunty. There are a number of roads off this that will take you into Raleigh such as Poole Road. Or you can take it to 64 and this will take you to Raleigh or to 540.
As for parks, there is a nice one off Amelia Church called Clayton Community Park. Softball fields, tennis courts, walking track, volley ball, playgrounds, etc. The town is also going to build a new one off Glen Laurel Road. Can't help you much with the real estate stuff but we used a buyer's agent and she was great. Maybe the appliances will be included in the home if it is brand new.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

850 posts, read 3,621,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrylicPrism View Post
We have been looking into this area and have found a couple of home we really like. Does anyone know the area? Or what restrictions there are?
Its in the Flowers area...I drive by it almost daily. Lovely area. There's the Archer Lodge community center nearby with a small playground, tennis/basketball courts, baseball diamond. There are a number of really big parks in Clayton;

Clayton, NC - Parks and Recreation

Quote:
The one thing that is a concern is the commute to work from there as well. Are there any 'short cuts' to Raleigh? It seems an easy drive, but it also looks like it will be a busy one on the weekdays when everyone is rushing to get to work. Can someone tell me the typical commute time? It took us about 30 minutes at 5:00 on a Saturday.
Where we are here, you can go a couple different ways to Raleigh depending on where in Raleigh you are going. My dh commutes to the RTP, he goes what we call the "back way". You take Buffalo Road to Smithfield Road to 64/264. And take that to either 440 or 540. There are some places in Raleigh we're only 20 minutes from, others 40. Just depends. Takes dh about 50 minutes.

Plantation pointe has walking trails..or rather the flowers area.

Good luck!
lauren

Old 02-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Thank you, I am not sure what other information you need to answer the 'wiggle room' question.. but I think the realtor is going to handle that for us.

The area he works is off of Lake Boone Trail, which is very near Cameron village (where I work). it is about 25-26 miles to his work from the area using mapquest, but that is on the main roads. I guess we may have to go out and do the drive some day and just see how it is (using backroads.. as well as during the week to see how bad the traffic is).

His work is flexible.. and he is a full timer, but me I am an administrative assistant and I only work part time.. I may look for another one to either get full time, or get part time in Clayton instead of traveling all the way to Raleigh from Clayton for 4 hours of work, and return home.. I just don't know if it's worth it.. I will wait to see what the commute is.

The are IS absolutley gorguess! We're just a bit nervous that it MAY be out of our price range, despite being approved for that amount. As is, we are not married and he is getting the house on his salary, I am his girlfriend and will just be living with him, all I end up paying is for groceries, the dog, and cleaning supplies. Really it is all I could afford.

I appreciate everyone's responses. I think it's a great and growing area, and even the neighbors seemed nice!

EDITED TO SAY: Yes it is in Flowers Plantation, this was the area we could afford =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary