Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:42 PM

52 posts, read 195,129 times

Advertisements

The dog barks all the time and simply will not stay quiet. It barks early in the morning, late at night and all through the day. It is a huge disturbance because of the loudness and high pitch of the barking. There is no way I can do anything at home now.

What are my options here? Thanks.

I have never met this neighbor and don't know the person at all. This is in an apartment complex.

I'm really not sure if meeting with the neighbor and talking with them is a good idea. I have heard loud crashing noises from their apartment numerous times as though someone in there is going berserk with rage and throwing things around. I really do not want to get on the radar of someone who seems like they have a very bad temper and little self control.

I have tried calling the police. The dog goes silent for a few hours and then starts up again. Apartment management is simply not helping, strangely enough. I have no idea why.

Could anyone please let me know what my options are at this point?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 03:51 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,164,862 times
You need to get the management on the case. Pester them daily until they do something.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 PM

294 posts, read 337,107 times
See if other neighbors are being bothered and willingly to go in on a complaint with you

Or buy a bark control and see if it will reach to their unit?

Old 10-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
You need to get the management on the case. Pester them daily until they do something.
I have been informing the management daily now, even multiple times a day. I have never received any message back from them. They seem completely indifferent. I find that baffling, to be honest.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
See if other neighbors are being bothered and willingly to go in on a complaint with you

Or buy a bark control and see if it will reach to their unit?
A lot of my neighbors are not at all fluent in English. And anyway I think I'm the only one situated where I can hear the dog all the time. Although I'm not certain of that.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman23 View Post
I have been informing the management daily now, even multiple times a day. I have never received any message back from them. They seem completely indifferent. I find that baffling, to be honest.
Have you spoken to a real person, or just informed them by email ?

Old 10-15-2016, 05:49 PM

This same neighbor has been extremely noisy before and then when I spoke to someone at the office, they told me all they would do was send her a warning and after that, it was up to me to talk with "the authorities".

I have spoken to someone at the office about the dog barking. And the office person told me that every time it barked late at night and early morning, I was to call the office and leave a message for them about it.

I have also sent them emails and left them voicemail messages.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,542,507 times
Call the numbers shown at:

Animal Control Complaints Issues

Old 10-16-2016, 09:51 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times
I would call the police. I feel sorry for the poor dog, who is clearly neglected.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,899 times
I may be the exception but I would go and talk to them. I'm a firm believer of trying to resolve issues face to face before involving anyone else and if you're nice to them they'll often be reasonable. It may be they have no control over the dog or aren't home when he is barking. If you're not home you really can't do anything...

But after that I'd continue to pester the apartment management and if it continues I'd negotiate to get out of your lease early and get the hell out of there. Also call the animal control numbers - the dog may be the one being abused hence the barking. Or maybe a noise complaint with the cops? I don't know if that really applies to a dog that barks or if it is just parties and such.

One other idea - get this on video/audio with a timestamp. Evidence will be your friend in finding any kind of resolution. If you can prove to the apartment management they're more likely to let you out of your lease early or do something to resolve the issue. And if you can provide it to animal control or the police it's evidence. People like concrete proof otherwise it's a he said/she said type situation.

In the meantime does playing music help at all? For your sanity I mean, not to shut the dog up. Or a white noise app/machine? May be worth a shot while it's getting worked out.

Good luck, hope you get some relief soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary