Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

A group of Democrats started a go fund me and asked other Dems to donate to pay for the damage and raised $13,000
https://www.gofundme.com/reopen-a-nc...3fbc764e065f4f

Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Let's allow the police to investigate this crime.

I'm disgusted by this whole mess. No matter who did it, no matter what their motives, it's horrible. Someone could have been hurt.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
I can't believe that some people have the nerve to try to blame this on Republicans to fit their preconceived notions of what they are like. Yeah, it's kind of ugly if the story ends up making one's group look bad; but instead of victimizing the victims a second time; why not fix your own party's issues?

You know, most of the intimidation and unpleasantness I see comes from the supposedly liberal left. Most Republicans I know pretty much have shut up because it's so unpleasant out there.

I miss the days when people could disagree and be civil. They, along with my youth, are gone.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
I can't believe that some people have the nerve to try to blame this on Republicans to fit their preconceived notions of what they are like. Yeah, it's kind of ugly if the story ends up making one's group look bad; but instead of victimizing the victims a second time; why not fix your own party's issues?

You know, most of the intimidation and unpleasantness I see comes from the supposedly liberal left. Most Republicans I know pretty much have shut up because it's so unpleasant out there.

I miss the days when people could disagree and be civil. They, along with my youth, are gone.
Let's be fair to everyone. There are extremists on both sides. The closer you move toward the middle, the more rational the discourse (and behavior) becomes.

The far left is definitely liberal. That doesn't mean there aren't irrational people there.

The far right is definitely conservative. There are irrational people there, too.

Until investigators sort this out, we'll have no clue. This could have been radical conservatives. Or radical liberals.

Or kids pulling a prank. Who knows?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
What Redzin said.

I want to note, though, that even Ben Howe from Red State - an avid Never Trumper, and also a solid conservative from NC - wondered via twitter whether it was a Trump supporter who did it.

Regardless of the motive it's definitely an extremist; you're not likely to see a firebombing planning meeting taking place over coffee and baked goods at area various Weaver Street Markets.

Some area democrats started a Go Fund Me to help rebuild the HQ.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:58 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
All conspiracy theories and wishes aside, this is just indicative of the widespread publication of the continuing devolution of political discussion and climate.
Ugly breeds ugly breeds more ugly.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
It's deplorable that someone would do this. Part of a democracy is encouraging both sides to vote and speak up even when you disagree with them. My first thought was whether a trump supporter did this to gain national attention followed closely by wondering if it was some sort of fraternity hazing from UNC. Who knows...whoever it was was definitely an extremist.

I'll be the first to admit that I cannot stand Trump or anyone involved in HB2 but this isn't the solution. Everyone should have freedom to support whoever they support without the fear of this kind of thing happening. Thank God no one was hurt.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post

First, the act itself, regardless of the motives, is heinous and criminal. Fires kill people, often those responsible for extinguishing it, and this needs to be viewed as more than vandalism.

Second, please don't act as if though there isn't any reason to suspect members of the Republican party. This has been the ugliest, most violent of election cycles I have ever witnessed and there is rage emanating from all sides. Donald Trump's campaign has exposed a very real, very scary element within our free society that cannot be ignored or dismissed, one which is clearly capable of irrational and inappropriate behaviors, including arson.

I know someone right here in the Triangle who has vowed to leave the Republican party because of how it's abandoned its presidential candidate, believing that party loyalty supersedes individual opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
All conspiracy theories and wishes aside, this is just indicative of the widespread publication of the continuing devolution of political discussion and climate.
Ugly breeds ugly breeds more ugly.
This is really just the predictable outcome of a media who is relentlessly fanning the flames regardless of who gets burned in the resulting inferno. I don't think the passion or political partisanship that exists is any different than when our country first formed, only now we're being influenced with soundbites to increase ratings and ad revenue. I'm embarrassed by how easily we are all manipulated.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:09 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A group of Democrats started a go fund me and asked other Dems to donate to pay for the damage and raised $13,000
https://www.gofundme.com/reopen-a-nc...3fbc764e065f4f
Wow, that is impressive.

I can't wait for this election to be over. It has been unnecessarily ugly.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:19 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times
Back in 2000 there were some pretty deep divisions that I didn't thing would be surpassed. I remember a big turn-out at my polling place. I expect the same this year.

The other races should be interesting, especially the NC general assembly. The Republicans have a pretty solid hold, so we'll what happens.

I think crazy statements by any candidate need to be challenged by the news media. Playing devil's advocate is part of their job. But now, it's suggested that even *challenging* a statement is "unfair."

Arson, violence, etc. is very bad for our process, but what I think could have a longer, more damaging impact is the drum beat of "It's rigged" "They are going to cheat." If people don't trust the process, we're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary