Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,225 times

Advertisements

Nightmare. Down since 10/16/2016 for upgrading. Anyone else had success in getting through to First Citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 AM

16,413 posts, read 12,476,648 times
This is according to their FB page:

First Citizens Bank

Update on Digital Banking; 10/25, 8:30 a.m.
First Citizens Digital Banking is now up and running for our Personal Online Banking (POB) and Mobile Banking customers. After launching this new product Monday, Oct. 24, we experienced some technical challenges that prevented us from providing you the type of user experience you deserve. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
You should now have access to your accounts through online banking from your computer, tablet and mobile phone. We are aware that some customers are experiencing limited functionality and a slight delay when logging in and accessing certain information. We are working quickly to improve the user experience for all of our customers.
If you have questions regarding your accounts, you can call our Customer Care Center at 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please be advised that our Customer Care Center is experiencing high call volumes, which may result in long wait times. We are working to assist you as quickly as possible.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,612,273 times
I knew there was a reason I didn't try to logon yesterday! Will cross my fingers that I can this evening. Also hoping they didn't change the platform/functionality very much. The reason I went with First Citizens after Wells Fargo bought Wachovia is because First Citizens had the same online banking system as Wachovia. I don't like change when something is working perfectly fine!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This is according to their FB page:

First Citizens Bank

Update on Digital Banking; 10/25, 8:30 a.m.
First Citizens Digital Banking is now up and running for our Personal Online Banking (POB) and Mobile Banking customers. After launching this new product Monday, Oct. 24, we experienced some technical challenges that prevented us from providing you the type of user experience you deserve. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
You should now have access to your accounts through online banking from your computer, tablet and mobile phone. We are aware that some customers are experiencing limited functionality and a slight delay when logging in and accessing certain information. We are working quickly to improve the user experience for all of our customers.
If you have questions regarding your accounts, you can call our Customer Care Center at 1.888.FC DIRECT (1.888.323.4732) between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please be advised that our Customer Care Center is experiencing high call volumes, which may result in long wait times. We are working to assist you as quickly as possible.
I got all the way through setting up new password and agreeing to 16 pages of consent, etc. and then nothing. 360 minutes wait when calling 888-323-4732. Hopefully some First Citizens Bank employees are shown the door for this debacle.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
I recently signed up for a First Citizens checking account online. I have a checking account in my previous state, but I wanted one here that I could transfer money into so I could easily get bank checks and things like that.

I went through the whole process, got the account setup, and went to transfer money only to realize that I was never given the account number. I called them and they told me I had to physically go to a branch to get my account number for "security reasons". This is a number which is PRINTED ON EVERY SINGLE CHECK - there is absolutely nothing secure about it.

Anyhow, the whole thing just left a bitter taste in my mouth. What's the point of offering online signup if you have to go to a branch to get your account number?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM

188 posts, read 151,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I recently signed up for a First Citizens checking account online. I have a checking account in my previous state, but I wanted one here that I could transfer money into so I could easily get bank checks and things like that.

I went through the whole process, got the account setup, and went to transfer money only to realize that I was never given the account number. I called them and they told me I had to physically go to a branch to get my account number for "security reasons". This is a number which is PRINTED ON EVERY SINGLE CHECK - there is absolutely nothing secure about it.

Anyhow, the whole thing just left a bitter taste in my mouth. What's the point of offering online signup if you have to go to a branch to get your account number?
I seem to be understanding their logic better than yours. If an account number is printed on every single check, then it should be easy for the owner of that account to obtain versus some random hacker/scammer to guess at. It wouldn't be highly secretive to the owner, but it is somewhat more secure as an identifier because who else would be able to access it so easily but the owner?

So I'm not sure I understand why its easy and insecure yet difficult for you to produce at the same time? Sorry but I see a contradiction in your complaint.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:01 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I seem to be understanding their logic better than yours. If an account number is printed on every single check, then it should be easy for the owner of that account to obtain versus some random hacker/scammer to guess at. It wouldn't be highly secretive to the owner, but it is somewhat more secure as an identifier because who else would be able to access it so easily but the owner?

So I'm not sure I understand why its easy and insecure yet difficult for you to produce at the same time? Sorry but I see a contradiction in your complaint.
I didn't order checks because I didn't need them. I tried logging into online banking, but you cannot get your own account number through online banking either.

Any time you write a check to someone, your account number is on that check. There is nothing secure about it whatsoever and it doesn't need to be protected.

Quote:
That is my complaint.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:19 PM

188 posts, read 151,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I didn't order checks because I didn't need them. I tried logging into online banking, but you cannot get your own account number through online banking either.

Any time you write a check to someone, your account number is on that check. There is nothing secure about it whatsoever and it doesn't need to be protected.

That is my complaint.
An account number that even the owner of the account doesn't know seems very secure to me!

Really though, no single identifier (even your SSN) is in itself "secure". A bunch of information, such as the other stuff you would need to interact with an online account, create a certain security level that would separate the owner from a random person off the street. That's all.

People you write checks to are not typically big threats to try to copy your account number, because the check is easily traced back to them (among other things). So, in itself it is no big secret, but it does provide ADDED SECURITY in the sense that if the person entering the data is able to produce the number, then the system has an increased level of confidence that the person entering the data is who they say they are.

What does that really mean? Depends on the system. I can't tell you what is going on with the bank's system behind the scenes, but sometimes whenever all ADDED SECURITY measures are provided, it circumvents some other step (for example the whole thing being transferred to a fraud department for additional scrutiny.

So I think you might be confusing the issue of security with the notion that there could be one magic secure number that is super private and holds the conclusive key to whether someone is who they say they are or not. Security just doesn't work that way.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:20 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,612,273 times
I am able to login however my bill pay history seems to be gone - I used to be able to access past electronic bill copies from the website and that feature seems to be gone. I hope they are migrating them over somehow because otherwise that's something they should have given advance warning about. :-/

edit: Now Bill Pay isn't working at all. Yay!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,267 times
I worked for a division of this bank in IT years ago.

Lousy then, seems to be lousy again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: