Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
For a cheaper option, look at a trail camera. Dicks has them on sale right now. Motion activated, can record or simply snap a picture. no wifi or anything, but you can monitor the SD card when you get back.
What a good idea. I'm doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 03:00 PM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
What a good idea. I'm doing this.
The problem with a trail cam is they are made to be mounted on a tree. You can probably rig it up for indoor use, but if someone breaks in and sees it, they will steal it along with the sd card inside of it. I think they make some cell capable trail cams now, so you can view them online, but for the cost you are better off with x10 or some of the other dedicated indoor camera companies.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
I use arlo for interior, and will be using this for exterior. https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Secur...%2Bsystem&th=1

Arlo is good and could be used for both, but I plan to mount up high and dont want to change batteries.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:47 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Spinning this off from the apartment thread to see if anyone has recommendations to pass on for interior home security cameras which can detect motion, record, notify.

I am looking for a simple apartment-sized solution to catch if anyone enters our place while we are out.

Some Google and Amazon searches brought up a few in the $200 range, one called Blink looked good and easy but as usual, the comments gave cause to consider other makes.
$80

https://youtu.be/HdDXjYGfTSY

Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
https://www.techbargains.com/deal/12...-free-shipping

shows a great deal on a camera I have installed.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
For those that have cameras with motion detection, do you find that you get a lot of false alarms? The last thing I want is my phone blowing up with an intruder alert every night.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
For those that have cameras with motion detection, do you find that you get a lot of false alarms? The last thing I want is my phone blowing up with an intruder alert every night.
No, once you set sensitivity % & what part of the image you wish to detect motion in.

Motion detection is a very adjustable parameter in the D-Link cams.

See: How to Set Up Motion Detection on Your D-Link Camera | D-Link Blog

Old 12-22-2016, 06:20 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
For those that have cameras with motion detection, do you find that you get a lot of false alarms?
Yes. I have four different D-link cameras, and while the camera itself isn't too bad, the software is weak. Even after tweaking the motion detection sensitivity, sometimes it will record a delivery to my front door, sometimes not. Then other times, turning off my front porch lights will trigger an alert.

Yes, you can select what area of the picture to detect motion. but you are stuck with using a a square or rectangle with lines that are parallel to the picture frame. You can't "draw" the area with a "pencil," specifically to the area you want.

They disconnect from the network frequently. Sometimes fail to save your settings. Ie: I have one camera set to record over old footage when the SD card is full. The small radio button is lit, yet I still get messages that the card is full "what do you want to do." Ie: tell the camera to record continuously, but it doesn't.

They have a more robust software you can download, but it won't recognize the cameras and crashes the computer occasionally. I need to continue my search for a third party program that will work.

I know some people have success with these, but I am not impressed. They are not reliable. Very frustrating.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:46 PM
NDS

58 posts, read 65,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Blink looks pretty attractive, until I read that it can't detect motion through glass, so that rules out recording the person approaching my front door. I have no areas outside protected by the weather, and their website has no mention about placing outdoors.

In my experience, the weak link in the consumer-level products is the web interface and/or phone app. The cameras have improved nicely, but if the software can't function reliably and consistently, what's the point?

This may not be local, but I don't mind it here at all -- there are a number of people on this board who have opinions I trust, which is more than I can say for some of the people on Nextdoor.com.
I just set up Blink this week, having purchased the 5-camera pack off the BF sale. So far nothing but positive things to say.

- *Super* light - have stuck them to walls in convenient places using sticky strips
- Acceptable quality video - can make out face of person from up a full flight of stairs
- Very easy set up - took me 15m total to figure out how to unbox, setup, and view all 5 cameras
- Motion detection works well the couple of times I've tried it, and unlike the Arlo cameras is pretty
instantaneous

- Have *not* tried it as an outdoor camera/detect motion outdoors, it's not rated for outdoors i.e.
not waterproof
- It *does* now integrate with SmartThings, so you could purchase a cheap Iris motion detector
from Lowe's, put that outside on your front walk, and have it "trip" via the SmartThings hub to turn
on your Blink camera. Several folks on the various automation forums (Reddit/etc) have reported
success in that approach.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
I'm interested in learning more about this issue without taking over the topic. I think something in/at/near the front door peephole would be good for me. From general laziness of I don't want to go look through the peephole to see if it's a neighbor or a sales person to taking video of people approaching the door when I'm not there. Any recommendations for a place to read up on security cameras for someone who isn't too tech savvy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary