Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexniner View Post
But there is this place...Arrogant Swine
with NC all over its menu and decor Menu

Right. There's zero reason for it NOT to be there. This entire idea is so silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 AM

11,220 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Do they only serve authentic Sichuan food or do they also have an Americanized menu? Because I think we have a lot of delis here, but not authentic NY delis — they've been North Carolina-ized. You can get some NY style items like Neal's pastrami, but it has a Carolina twist, too.

Not picking on you, NorasMom, but several other posters mentioned Indian restaurants and other non-North Carolinian fare, too. Y'all are saying you want an authentic NY Deli, and then pointing out these other types of restaurants, but I don't think they're going to be much at all like a real Indian restaurant in India, y'know? We have a lot of places that call themselves delis and can serve you a pastrami on rye, but they're not going to be like it is in NY just like the Chinese restaurants aren't going to be like they are in China.
When I go out to Indian with my Indian Co-workers, they say it's pretty authentic. I'm sure it's not EXACTLY the same, nothing could be.

When I go out to Superwok or Taipei 101 in Cary, or other "authentic" places, I see a lot of (assumed) Chinese Patrons, so that is indicative that it's fairly authentic.

As for NY deli, I mentioned that it should be in RTP, as that is where the concentration of Lunch goers are. IMO, it's the most logical place to have it. If a really good, fast, deli went into the same strip as Randy's, it would still have to do all the other things right, but it would have a chance of succeeding. (Of course, they'd either need to build a parking deck, or run shuttle service, as parking is already tight, but it's doable, IMO.)

No, it won't be exactly like a NY deli, nor should it be exactly like it, but I do believe enough people would come for the food to support a business. (And for all the analogous Americanized Chinese and Indian Diners of Deli-food, there is always Jasons, McAllisters and several other places...)

Old 10-31-2016, 07:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexniner View Post
But there is this place...Arrogant Swine
with NC all over its menu and decor Menu
But it's not the authentic BBQ joint experience like Grady's or Allen & Son or Bill's or Parkers, etc. I have no doubt it could be good, but what I'm reading on here is people want the old school shouty NY Deli experience. The Arrogant Swine looks hipster rather than Good Ol' Boy. You're not going to find "spicy tamarind dip with crispy shallots" at Allen & Son. We have Lucky's and Neal's, but they are too hipster Carolina-ized and not authentic NY enough for folks on this thread, although if they try them they may find that they really like it.

You're not going to find a real authentic NC BBQ shack in NY. You just can't. The "real" ones have been here for 50 years and the pitmasters learned from their daddies, etc. Same deal with the "real" NY Deli. It's got to be in NY.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Same deal with the "real" NY Deli. It's got to be in NY.
Um...no.

That's what we are all saying.

We don't need shouty. In fact, that has nothing to do with it. You're putting your own perspective on it, which is totally fine, that's your opinion, but that's not actually what we mean.

*shrug*

Old 10-31-2016, 07:43 AM

BTW, the NYTimes had a nice feature called "Can The Jewish Deli Be Reformed" that features Neal's in addition to other new delis in Brooklyn, Montreal, and Portland, etc.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Um...no.

That's what we are all saying.

We don't need shouty. In fact, that has nothing to do with it. You're putting your own perspective on it, which is totally fine, that's your opinion, but that's not actually what we mean.

*shrug*
No, I'm not. That's what the OP said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Yes, I know you can get pastrami on a biscuit (sacrilege!) at Neal's, and I know there is a place called Lucky's in Durham that just opened that is trying to do some of these things. But there isn't a real deli in this area, and the supermarket delis make me want to cry, because there are only so many kinds of ham one can eat.
He mentioned Lucky's and Neal's as not being good enough for him. Neal's pastrami is consistently raved about, but people don't think it's NY enough?

You're not going to find a NY deli in NC because it's NC not NY. The Arrogant Swine restaurant is absolutely equivalent to Neal's or Lucky's. Yes, you can find food like that in NY, but you can get great pastrami in North Carolina, too, it's just going to be in a NC deli and not a NY deli!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:53 AM

598 posts, read 332,497 times
Quote:
He mentioned Lucky's and Neal's as not being good enough for him. Neal's pastrami is consistently raved about, but people don't think it's NY enough?
There's more to a Jewish-style deli than pastrami. It has nothing to do with it being "NY enough."

Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 AM

What do you want to eat? Chances are you can find it in the Triangle, but I don't think you can recreate the atmosphere. We have bialys and knishes. We have pastrami and half sours.

Twingles mentioned the shouting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'll be honest here, the reason it won't work here is the attitude that goes along with NY deli - and I mean this in all sincerity as a former NYer. One of the hallmarks of the NY deli experience is knowing what you want when you step to the counter, moving things along, a lot of shouting. I remember going to a deli here and even though there was NO ONE in the place, the counter guy wrote my order down, mosied on back to the kitchen area, and I waited while that person got themselves prepared to make a sandwich ... it was all just a tad annoying. I don't think people here are ready to deal with all that a NY style deli entails and there obviously has not been enough call for that kind of food here, for whatever reason.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:10 AM

42 posts, read 72,027 times
The heart attack rate in NC is high enough without the addition of authentic NY Jewish-style delis. The stuff is so heart-unhealthy that there are shakers of Crestor on Katz's fat-stained tables.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM

C'mon over to Carrboro and try Neal's pastrami and get your half sours, Home - Neal's Deli | Lunch, Dinner, Carrboro North Carolina Neal's Deli | Lunch, Dinner, Carrboro North Carolina

For those of you craving knishes, check out Knish-a-licious - Kosher Food Raleigh, North Carolina .

I think we've got some good new delis in the area, but reviews on Weinberg's attempt at a NY Jewish Deli were pretty mediocre and it is no more. I just think the people with the energy and drive to open and run a restaurant want to do their own thing like Neal's or Lucky's, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary