Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:06 PM

224 posts, read 296,866 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from college back in May of this year for Management of Information Systems. I am wondering how easy is it to find good work in Raleigh, I have about 2-3 years of experience working for employers and about 8 years of self taught IT stuff and I am still learning stuff on my own free time for IT. I am just wondering how well I could find a job with my limited experience. Is the job market flooded there? I really need to just find good work for good pay and have relatively low cost of living.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 05:07 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
I recently graduated from college back in May of this year for Management of Information Systems. I am wondering how easy is it to find good work in Raleigh, I have about 2-3 years of experience working for employers and about 8 years of self taught IT stuff and I am still learning stuff on my own free time for IT. I am just wondering how well I could find a job with my limited experience. Is the job market flooded there? I really need to just find good work for good pay and have relatively low cost of living.

What are your thoughts?
Solid market in the Triangle. Lots of existing threads on this topic. Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com should give you a good idea of open positions.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,190,459 times
move back to Ohio from Austin, where your comfort and familiarity level are much higher. If there are opportunities there - and hey, there are IT opportunities in ANY city > 60K people - then why chase them in areas that are known as "Silicon Valley, Jr"'s - like Austin and RTP?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:13 PM

346 posts, read 338,803 times
Market is good especially if you can do a little coding along with sysadmins skills. Jr level sysadmins can expect anywhere from 35k - 60k really depends on what you can negotiate

Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post

What are your thoughts?
I assume you have a BS or BA?

If so, look at the larger companies and see if they have any new graduate programs.

I know that Cisco, MetLife, GSK, and IBM have or used to have such programs. They're all fairly large employers that are either IT businesses or have IT divisions here.

There are likely many others, but you get my point.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 10-30-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
move back to Ohio from Austin, where your comfort and familiarity level are much higher. If there are opportunities there - and hey, there are IT opportunities in ANY city > 60K people - then why chase them in areas that are known as "Silicon Valley, Jr"'s - like Austin and RTP?
Your a real estate agent? Why would I ever buy anything from you with that kind of attitude? In fact as I look at your profile it seems you ALWAYS have a negative attitude towards about everything? Just fyi, I have really close friends there and no I haven't gotten a chance to talk to them about this. So maybe before you just spew out anything you ought to ask questions? Thankfully, I know most people aren't like you there, and I know people there already who are good people, unlike you. Next time maybe you ought to keep

Old 10-30-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I assume you have a BS or BA?

If so, look at the larger companies and see if they have any new graduate programs.

I know that Cisco, MetLife, GSK, and IBM have or used to have such programs. They're all fairly large employers that are either IT businesses or have IT divisions here.

There are likely many others, but you get my point.

Best of luck in your search!
Yes I do have my BS in Management of Information Systems. I was asking this question because where I live at now the market is flooded with IT people I mean so much so that people are taking any jobs they can get. I did a ton of research before I moved there too. So that is why I am asking the locals first here in Raleigh.

In addition to this comment, lots of people are leaving Austin too. For this very reason, I have friend now who is from Idaho and he is planning on leaving, after I have spoken to many people who have lived here, many are leaving because the cost of living is getting out of control and the wages are really, really low.

Last edited by Buckeye5b; 10-30-2016 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Solid market in the Triangle. Lots of existing threads on this topic. Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com should give you a good idea of open positions.
I did do a search already and it didn't seem like there were a whole lot of jobs. I did find lots of coding jobs, but not so much for infrastructure. I can do .net programming, but I would prefer field tech work.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
What is you previous IT experience? Helpdesk? Windows sysadmin? Linux sysadmin?

Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,580,710 times
It would really depend on your exact skill set. Market is overall good but can be hard to break into. For example where I work you need at least (at a minimum) 5 yrs experience to even make the interview process. But there are other companies with training programs for newer graduates if you're willing to work hard and take a lower salary.

I'd look to companies who traditionally hire right out of school. Or ones with internships which could turn into paid positions...at worst you get experience and at best a great job. Whatever path you take be prepared for long hours the first several years...I worked upwards of 80 hours a week (sometimes even 100!) for the first 5 years in the industry. But then it backs off again and now I work 45-50-ish.

Good luck. I'd try to secure a job before making the move if possible so you know that it's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary