U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM

58 posts, read 222,447 times
Default Are your sewer charges more than your water charges?

We just got our water bill from Aqua North Carolina and it breaks down as follows:

Customer charge water 13.49 (flat charge to get water to the house)
5500 gallons @ .00394 21.67*
Sewer charges 48.81

Does this seem correct? I am amazed at how high the sewer charge is! It seems a little steep. Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

*The number of gallons seems high, but we have 7 people in the household. It actually worked out to less than 30 gallons per day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM

8,395 posts, read 15,186,972 times
Raleigh it's about even.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM

913 posts, read 2,044,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mommy View Post
We just got our water bill from Aqua North Carolina and it breaks down as follows:

Sewer charges 48.81

Does this seem correct? I am amazed at how high the sewer charge is! It seems a little steep. Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

*The number of gallons seems high, but we have 7 people in the household. It actually worked out to less than 30 gallons per day.
They based on how much water you used if i m not mistaken

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,923,006 times
Quote:

Sewer charges 48.81

Okay, this made me look at my bill from Aqua! But, I just had the flat fee of 13.00, then the water fee of 13.26, but no sewage fee. I looked at more than one of them as well, they are all the same, the flat fee, then the water usage fee. So, basically, I have no answer for you, but at least I looked over my bill for 10 minutes!

Leigh

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Hmmm

I'll have to investigate this mysterious sewer charge!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 378,142 times
Most municipalities operate the same way. Here are the basics:

If you have public sewer, you will also be buying the public water. Therefore, the price that you are charged for being on public sewer is usually directly related to the amount of public water that you use.

If you are on private sewer (septic system) then you should not have a charge for sewer.

So, if you are on public water and your own septic system, you would only be charged for public water. If you are on public water and sewer, it is typical to see your sewer portion to be twice the charge as for the water portion.

To help put it into perspective: 5,500 gallons is almost the amount of the gasoline tanker tractor-trailers that you see unloading at the gas stations. Just imagine that this is the amount of water that you say that you use monthly in your home and for that priviledge, you are paying less than $40.00

Then keep in mind, the water that you brought into your house leaves through your sewer lines with anything else that your family has added to the "mix." Can you think of a scenario where you would not welcome paying a company the $50 or so dollars a month to haul off "raw sewage" that is almost the quantity of that tractor-trailer sized tanker?

To me, it sounds like a bargain.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,923,006 times
Quote:
I'll have to investigate this mysterious sewer charge!
Didn't you tell me your neighborhood had some kind of community septic or was that someone else? I felt like your neighborhood has a neighborhood system, whereas mine has individual septic systems. Am I dreaming this? Maybe, if that is the case, then aqua is also dealing with the septic issue, thus charging you for it as well. For us, if there is a problem with our septic, we have to take care of it out of pocket because it is ours alone.........maybe with yours that is not the case?

Leigh

Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 AM

414 posts, read 909,842 times
Cary works that way as well. Our bill looks like this:

Water Base Charge: $3.07
Water @ 3.28 Per 1000 gallons 2.420: $7.94
Total Water $11.01

Sewer Base Charge: $3.07
Sewer @ 5.25 Per 1000 gallons 2.420 $12.71
Total Sewer $15.78

Thats for a period of 22 days btw, its our first bill in our new home.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,315,892 times
Hasn't sewer always cost more?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM

This is our first experience with sewer being billed as a separate line item. My previous experience was that the two were combined into one charge. I didn't know what percentage of the bill was attributable to the water vs. the sewer. I'd much rather get validation here than sit on hold waiting for customer service! Now, do I think it worth the price to have my waste water plus "additions" carted off? You betcha!

My primary point in posting the question was to see if my charges were consistent with what others were charged. On the flip side, the neighborhood where we live does have a fairly complicated internal water treatment thing going that LeighBhe mentioned (no you aren't losing it). Apparently, we have a grinder that grinds the sewage and then sends it along to the treatment facility. Somewhere during this procedure grey water for the neighborhood irrigation is extracted. I guess the sewage that gets "ground" has to go somewhere else, thus the sewer charge. Clearly, I have a shallow understanding of this. I'll have to ask around and get the real scoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary