Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 01:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Don't get hung up on the price of the add-on, just worry about the price for the car you want, equipped the way you want it, versus comparable alternatives.

That is to say, if you want the paint protection, then great. It has a price. Other cars and other dealers offer paint protection, so figure it into your calculations. If you don't care one way or the other about mud flaps, then tell the dealer you don't want them, and to price a car without them. They will either find a car to your spec, and price accordingly, or (more likely) will say "if I can give them to you for $xx, will you take the one on our lot?"

Ultimately, don't worry about how they structure their price, worry about what the price is "out the door" for the car you want. Buy the best suited match. (Same with dealer fees and delivery. I really don't care if they add them or not, but I'm still going to buy the car that is the best deal. If you can beat someone elses deal AFTER you charge me $800 for documents, then you still beat their deal. OK with me.)
You put that so much better than I did.

If I go knowing I am willing to pay X plus or minus 500 dollars for a car (for example), I really do not care about what they are charging per line item. I only care about whether or not I met my price and got a car I wanted.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:06 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,466 times
I'm negotiating a used car right now that 2.5 hours away. I asked the salesman what the dealer fees are. $699 admin fee, and $700 environmental fee. That covers the interior from stains/paint protection and I laughed. I said no offense but that is a junk fee and I will NOT be paying it. Still negotiating with them so we will see what happens. The $699 admin fee is ridiculous too, but if I can get them down on price enough I will pay it. Just bought my wife a car and the only dealer fee was $189. I wish I could buy from them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 05:54 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I'm negotiating a used car right now that 2.5 hours away. I asked the salesman what the dealer fees are. $699 admin fee, and $700 environmental fee. That covers the interior from stains/paint protection and I laughed. I said no offense but that is a junk fee and I will NOT be paying it. Still negotiating with them so we will see what happens. The $699 admin fee is ridiculous too, but if I can get them down on price enough I will pay it. Just bought my wife a car and the only dealer fee was $189. I wish I could buy from them again.
The environmental fee is pure BS. The admin may not be negotiable, but the dealer can cut the price to compensate.

Tell the dealer what my dad once told an Edsel dealer when they charged junk fees for the oil filter and air cleaner. He offered to grease the front end so the car could be garaged where the sun don't shine.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:50 PM

4,535 posts, read 3,738,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Double edged sword with new models.

Might get new features.

Might also get lots of bugs and become a close friend of your Honda dealer.

Yup, correct. I know there are people here who bought brand new generation Hondas with no problems. But one thing to look out for is that Honda is not very good at transmissions in the last decade. Toyota/Lexus definitely beats transmission quality than Honda/Acura. Transmissions are a very important aspect of a car -these can cost thousands of dollars to repair or replace.

The new 2017 Honda Odyssey will use a new 7 speed or higher transmission and I can assure you, even Honda fans are nervous about the new trannys. Definitely check out odyclub.com for more enthusiast owners and their thoughts.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:04 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times
Is that crap already on the car and the dealer is trying to get you to pay for it, or is it stuff you want for free? I haven't known Honda to pull that crap. Toyota is the worst b/c of their distributor model. There is a middle man who "upgrades" the cars between the factory and dealer and they make every car unique so it is hard to shop dealers.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:38 AM

43,262 posts, read 77,033,287 times
I pay any fee they want, as long as the final bottom line check I write is acceptable.
"One money, from one pot."

If they cannot grasp that, they need to have a vehicle I really really want, because I have to work a bit harder to educate them about basic finance.

LOL ETA....
I just tossed my hat into the Carolina Ford Dealer multi-dealer cockfighting ring on a quote for a new car.
VERY entertaining so far.....

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-05-2016 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Yup, correct. I know there are people here who bought brand new generation Hondas with no problems. But one thing to look out for is that Honda is not very good at transmissions in the last decade. Toyota/Lexus definitely beats transmission quality than Honda/Acura. Transmissions are a very important aspect of a car -these can cost thousands of dollars to repair or replace.

The new 2017 Honda Odyssey will use a new 7 speed or higher transmission and I can assure you, even Honda fans are nervous about the new trannys. Definitely check out odyclub.com for more enthusiast owners and their thoughts.
I have the CVT on my 2016 FIT.

The CVT is one reason I purchased a HondaCare extended service plan.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:28 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
Great post in here!

Here are my simple 6 rules in buying a 'New' car. I have 10 for 'Used' cars.

1. Dealer has the car but you have the money. Always remember that.

2. Go in with your price based on Kelly Blue Book for new cars. Forget True Car and the others that offer you the best price. No such thing. The price you determine you want to spend is the best price....period. If the dealer gave you their Invoice price or below Invoice how long do you think they will be in business? Advertising gimmicks at their best!

3. Set your price as the Drive away price includes all the add-ons, taxes, fees, options, and graft and corruption the dealer wants to add into your invoice. Set your price and stick with it.

4. If your price is not met, thank the dealer and say call me when you want to meet my price. It works...it might take a day a week a month but they will call and they will be closer. If they are closer they can meet your price or they would not be calling you would they? Remember #1 above. They need you - You do not need them.

5. Try if at all possible to take the car off the lot. These are the ones they are paying on and will deal the most on.

6. Know when to say no. Most dealer will allow you to get their Internet Price. Get it and then visit the dealer and see if you can beat it on oyur own, if you can't and the internet price is want you want to pay just hand them the print out of the internet price and they have to meet it. Its that simple. You closed the deal.

Oh yea....never buy a car when you have to only buy a car when you want to......you will save the most by doing this.

May the negotiating mysteries be with you!

Old 11-08-2016, 05:34 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I pay any fee they want, as long as the final bottom line check I write is acceptable.
"One money, from one pot."
Yeah that is a good tactic. I tell the dealer I want 2k more in the deal, I don't care if it's my trade, msrp, or the silly fees you tack. Those where my exact words at the dealer a few years ago.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Great post in here!

Here are my simple 6 rules in buying a 'New' car. I have 10 for 'Used' cars.

1. Dealer has the car but you have the money. Always remember that.

2. Go in with your price based on Kelly Blue Book for new cars. Forget True Car and the others that offer you the best price. No such thing. The price you determine you want to spend is the best price....period. If the dealer gave you their Invoice price or below Invoice how long do you think they will be in business? Advertising gimmicks at their best!

3. Set your price as the Drive away price includes all the add-ons, taxes, fees, options, and graft and corruption the dealer wants to add into your invoice. Set your price and stick with it.

4. If your price is not met, thank the dealer and say call me when you want to meet my price. It works...it might take a day a week a month but they will call and they will be closer. If they are closer they can meet your price or they would not be calling you would they? Remember #1 above. They need you - You do not need them.

5. Try if at all possible to take the car off the lot. These are the ones they are paying on and will deal the most on.

6. Know when to say no. Most dealer will allow you to get their Internet Price. Get it and then visit the dealer and see if you can beat it on oyur own, if you can't and the internet price is want you want to pay just hand them the print out of the internet price and they have to meet it. Its that simple. You closed the deal.

Oh yea....never buy a car when you have to only buy a car when you want to......you will save the most by doing this.

May the negotiating mysteries be with you!
This was true when my husband just bought a new Chevy truck. He knew what a fair price was, offered that amount and didn't budge. They did the usual let me go check with my manager came back shaking their heads "just can't go that low etc." he walked out they called him when he was 2 miles down the road not only met his price but he then insisted they go a little lower for wasting his time. This was a king cab 4 wheel drive truck on the lot, it's an expensive vehicle and they wanted the sell.

Ridiculous you have to play all these games but do your research and you'll get a fair price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary