Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:38 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yes, he persists in pushing this incorrect description of the intersection despite repeated attempts to correct him. There are indeed three left turn lanes feeding into the three straight lanes on Wake Forest. Things are a bit better since they refreshed the lane striping through the intersection maybe a year ago, but people still fail to negotiate it correctly because they're not paying attention.
I just sat at the Wake Forest Road & Six Forks Road intersection for a whole cycle and I'd say about 50%+ of the drivers in the dual left turn lanes didn't pay any attention to the guide lines and sometimes were in the other lane's turning path......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I just sat at the Wake Forest Road & Six Forks Road intersection for a whole cycle and I'd say about 50%+ of the drivers in the dual left turn lanes didn't pay any attention to the guide lines and sometimes were in the other lane's turning path......
You can't fix stupid. Regardless, the point being that the number of turn lanes equals the number of thru lanes.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:20 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
I wish they would stop putting them on Erwin Rd in Durham!

Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I emailed Raleigh City Council and NCDOT about replacing sagging wire-hung signals with metal pole mast arms like Cary has.

Every other American city including Charlotte is replacing wires with poles.

Unfortunately, I predict Raleigh won't ever embrace this huge aesthetic improvement to intersections as a priority.

They all replied how expensive it is, so I say let private citizens sponsor an upgrade to the intersection of their choice.
I believe Durham has a mix of Wire fixtures (most of the signals on 15-501) and Pole mast fixtures (most of the fixtures around Southpoint Mall). From an aesthetic standpoint, I like black pole mast fixtures and streetlights better. I would prefer roundabouts to signalized intersections where possible, but as evidenced by the one on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh, it wouldn't work out.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:49 AM

544 posts, read 852,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I would prefer roundabouts to signalized intersections where possible, but as evidenced by the one on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh, it wouldn't work out.
I think the problem with the Hillsborough traffic circle is that it's too small and the topography screws up the approach from Oberlin. Drivers on Hillsborough can bomb through very quickly, whereas from Oberlin, you have to go more slowly. If the circle were bigger and drivers approached at the same (reasonable) speed, I think it would work better.

They are also installing roundabouts at Brooks Avenue, Dixie Trail, and Rosemary/Shepherd Streets.

We'll see how that goes.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
To a degree....I see the efficiency argument for the damned yellow blinking arrows for left turns. I do think they still throw people off when the light for the thru-traffic is red but but the arrow is blinking yellow....turning left at a red light has always been illegal so I think that still throws a little people off.

What angers me to no end is when there is a TON of oncoming traffic, the left turn lane is backed up.....and you go the whole cycle with NO left turn right of way (green left-arrow)...just the damn yellow blinker. People turning left often have to wait 2 or 3 cycles before maybe 1 or 2 cars can actually turn left safely...often when the left turn lane is 10+ cars deep. Give us a green arrow..even if it's just for 10-15 seconds!

I see this regularly in Chapel Hill turning off 15-501 to Culbreth.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To a degree....I see the efficiency argument for the damned yellow blinking arrows for left turns. I do think they still throw people off when the light for the thru-traffic is red but but the arrow is blinking yellow....turning left at a red light has always been illegal so I think that still throws a little people off.

What angers me to no end is when there is a TON of oncoming traffic, the left turn lane is backed up.....and you go the whole cycle with NO left turn right of way (green left-arrow)...just the damn yellow blinker. People turning left often have to wait 2 or 3 cycles before maybe 1 or 2 cars can actually turn left safely...often when the left turn lane is 10+ cars deep. Give us a green arrow..even if it's just for 10-15 seconds!

Depends what the left turn and oncoming thru traffic movements are at that intersection - usually there are reasons why there isn't a protected left for that movement. I live near an intersection where everybody wants a protected left for this one side street but apparently the left turning volumes don't meet warrants for putting in a protected left.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

Yeah, those are useless. Even more so when the blinking yellow is the last light on the signal (no green whatsoever ).

Here's a scenario where a blinking yellow would be a GREAT idea, and it's the exact opposite you describe.

If, say, there's an intersection where you want to make a left turn/U-turn, and there is no traffic coming opposite you for a good 30 seconds at minimum... but you can't turn left because all you get is a solid red arrow.

The intersection at Louisburg and Spring Forest/Kyle is what I describe. To make matters worse, that light is programmed for the shortest left-turn phase I've found in the entire county.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Yeah, those are useless. Even more so when the blinking yellow is the last light on the signal (no green whatsoever ).

Here's a scenario where a blinking yellow would be a GREAT idea, and it's the exact opposite you describe.

If, say, there's an intersection where you want to make a left turn/U-turn, and there is no traffic coming opposite you for a good 30 seconds at minimum... but you can't turn left because all you get is a solid red arrow.

The intersection at Louisburg and Spring Forest/Kyle is what I describe. To make matters worse, that light is programmed for the shortest left-turn phase I've found in the entire county.
The flashing yellow arrow is a pretty new thing so they've probably only implemented it at signals where changes needed to be made anyways etc....

Old 11-03-2016, 03:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
The flashing yellow is simply a new display for solid green ball, left turns permitted but yield to oncoming traffic.

I think they decided that people are too stupid to discern the difference between solid green ball left turns from protected green arrow left turns.

Almost all of Atlanta's intersections allow lefts on solid green ball with yield.

NC historically didn't allow many lefts outside of the protected phase.

So the flashing yellow is an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary