Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:46 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

I feel that Holly Springs is a bust waiting to happen. There is a growing trend of people living either in cities or desiring an urban feel - Holly Springs has no semblance of a downtown area and is just subdivision after subdivision and suburban strip malls along the bypass. Right now, it's doing fine but once the economy starts going downhill and the population stops growing as fast as it has, I'm curious to see what happens to Holly Springs. Cary and Apex are clearly more desirable than Holly Springs IMO overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:51 PM

190 posts, read 200,175 times
a lot of IMO in this thread. This is great, but I am not sure how it can help OP.

If anyone has data on the population growth in Apex vs Cary vs Holly Spring, then we can talk.

From the United States Census bureau:

Cary population growth from 2010 to 2015 18% to reach 159,769 with a Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2010-2014 at $301,600
Apex population growth from 2010 to 2015 21.4% to reach 45,585 with a Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2010-2014 at $265,500
Holly Springs population growth from 2010 to 2015 27.1% to reach 31,377 with a Median value of owner-occupied housing units, 2010-2014 at $236,000

Cary is in another dimension looking at the population size. Apex and Holly Spring are comparable.

Now to really compare the rate of growth we should compare Apex growth when the population was at about 31,377 that is before 2010. This data is however not available on the Census web site.

With the data available and assuming Apex has still a population growth potential unrestricted by land availability or other zoning laws, Holly Spring is attracting more people than Apex. The reason might be cheaper housing (median value) or at least the cons of Holly Spring vs apex are priced at less than $29,500K discount. If the cons were price at exactly $29,500K the population growth would have been identical.

Having stated some facts and possible interpretation of those facts, the debate about IMO or hypothesis statements can continue

Old 11-05-2016, 03:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I've been on this forum since 2006 and I'm still here in Raleigh. Trust me, there are still plenty of people moving into Holly Springs and the other suburbs around the Triangle. Not sure why certain places aren't mentioned here as much. I also recall Clayton getting a lot of mentions back then, but now not so much. That doesn't mean it isn't a popular place. Still plenty of people moving there too.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:43 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
Concerning suburbs, and if we are going by percentage increase from 2010 till now, then Rolesville (52%) has been the most popular by far. | News & Observer. If we are going by the raw numbers, then Cary, at around 20K new people, has been the "rageiest".

Old 11-05-2016, 06:39 AM

190 posts, read 200,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Concerning suburbs, and if we are going by percentage increase from 2010 till now, then Rolesville (52%) has been the most popular by far. | News & Observer. If we are going by the raw numbers, then Cary, at around 20K new people, has been the "rageiest".
Good points from ncrunner77, depending on what data you are looking at you will come up with different ranking. I would argue to compare growth at about equal population size to see the trends among comparable cities. Now comparing raw figures such as new people will give a current macro view influenced by city size.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Yes it's still all the rage. Just look at the housing and commercial going in, plus NC540 isn't completed yet. The new stuff going in is going to make traffic worse obviously. I live on the north side, so I don't deal much with the Avent Ferry Road mess, but when I do it is very frustrating. I think the town is working slowly to help make it better.

Last edited by zinner; 11-05-2016 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-05-2016, 08:09 AM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Yes it's still all the rage. Just look at the housing and commercial going in, plus NC540 isn't completed yet. The new stuff going in is going to make traffic worse obviously. I live on the north side, so I don't deal much with the Avent Ferry Road mess, but when I do it is very frustrating. I think the town is working slowly to help make it better.
Slow has always been the problem for HS to make projects work. Never thought of HS as a rage place to be in all honesty. It's an extension of other Towns that has grown by the nature of the beast.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:46 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
The malls in Holly Springs are hardly strip malls. They have lots of 'big' stores plus many specialty stores, eating places, and a movie theater. The town is encouraging businesses to move in, such as vaccine manufacturer, medical, and hopefully more. The town council is very forward thinking.

BTW I don't live in HSp but go thru there frequently.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:02 PM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I remember when we were doing our research a couple years ago, Holly Springs was all the rage and got a ton of mention here as a solid place to move to. I don't feel like these days it's getting the same attention, am I just imagining things? If the former, what are the contributing factors? I know traffic has been a major complaint there...
Well, I live here and yes, it is bursting at the proverbial seams. I live in the NE corner of HS, bordering on Apex, Raleigh and Cary, depending on which way I venture. I do most of my tasking in Cary...I find the big box stores have better selections there and I try like crazy to avoid traffic going towards 55/Holly Springs village (where all the new shopping centers are). At the wrong time of day, the traffic is miserable there. Some people call it growing pains. I see poor planning and problems. I feel some of that on my side of town if I get stuck on Sunset Lake Road or Holly Springs Road (each of which is one lane and will most definitely need expansion but commuting from this location leaves options vs. 55 to 540 only. I love 540! I am all over the triangle all the time. Holly Springs is a beautiful place as are most areas around Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. We fell in love with the tree lined streets in our neck of the woods and relatively affordable house compared to other places. If you have young kids, this is a great place to be. We are middle aged and just love being around all age groups.

I am here three years. Prices have gone up. Homes in our neighborhood have sold in a matter of days this past spring and summer. If they linger, they are overpriced.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:39 PM

168 posts, read 350,088 times
I know a number of people that sold their homes in popular Cary and Apex neighborhoods to move to
HSP. Seems like everyone is headed that way. I hate driving through there due to traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary