Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

I remember when we were doing our research a couple years ago, Holly Springs was all the rage and got a ton of mention here as a solid place to move to. I don't feel like these days it's getting the same attention, am I just imagining things? If the former, what are the contributing factors? I know traffic has been a major complaint there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Lost some of its luster due to increased prices for sure. It used to be cheaper than Cary and Apex. Now, not so much...especially when considering it has the worst commuting times in the state http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...-commuter.html

On top of these long commute times, you are often paying for the privilege by using the 540 toll to go to RTP. My wife and I conservatively figured it would cost us 2K/year for us to commute into RTP from HS. This for a "short" commute of 30 minutes each way (I guess short vs taking Hwy1 to I40 or up 55).

Also, it lacks a town center or downtown, like Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina or Wake Forest, to give it some sense of soul, character and community. I don't get the sense it is a real town with any history; just pure sterile suburban sprawl that is now suffering significant traffic issues from poor planning and hyper-growth.

It's only trump card, more house for the money, has been played.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Holly Springs is bustling! A lot of new developments with all kinds of amenities. Shopping centers that are not at all crowded with attractive stores and restaurants. Downtown is small but sweet, with a library. Biggest problem now is growing pains with the traffic in some areas, but that is being addressed. New schools being built too.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I think it lost some of it's luster as prices rose. It's still pretty popular for young families but the commute can be brutal.

Old 11-04-2016, 02:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Too expensive for what the commute is and will be. If you don't need to commute it's very nice. I hear the traffic is an absolute bear even within town, though.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I remember when we were doing our research a couple years ago, Holly Springs was all the rage and got a ton of mention here as a solid place to move to. I don't feel like these days it's getting the same attention, am I just imagining things? If the former, what are the contributing factors? I know traffic has been a major complaint there...
Anywhere that is "all the rage," especially with the Long Island crowd where they apparently hop in the car and move to NC based on whatever is the "all the rage" NC city du jour and then invite everybody they know to move down with them, is going to quickly become oversaturated with people flocking to it, and thus overcrowding issues such as traffic and school crowding quickly become issues.

If traffic is your concern, avoid anywhere that is "all the rage", because 1000s of others will have gotten the same message and beaten you to it.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:21 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Anywhere that is "all the rage," especially with the Long Island crowd where they apparently hop in the car and move to NC based on whatever is the "all the rage" NC city du jour and then invite everybody they know to move down with them, is going to quickly become oversaturated with people flocking to it, and thus overcrowding issues such as traffic and school crowding quickly become issues.

These people flocking here may bring bodegas since they, according to your sources, only exist up there.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Holly Springs is very popular, but the specific neighborhoods you might be looking at, don't have the same level of "refinement" that you might be looking for. For example, my aunt is buying a new house at the Manor at Salem Village. But the entrance to the neighborhood is very bad, crossing a RR crossing and past a school. Also, some of the trains that go by there are VERY loud. The neighborhood is not selling even half the speed of what a west Cary subdivision would sell at (new construction). I think Salem Village Manors are having a difficult time selling but they sure don't make it seem that way when you go there to visit.

It will take 10 years or more for these places to "catch up" to Cary-type areas if that's what you are looking for.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I was unaware that it was ever "the rage."

I have known it as a nice place to live. Particularly if you want a less expensive home and you don't mind the commute.

But, never as a highly sought-after location.

I think the prices are rising and that makes it less desirable because....location.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was unaware that it was ever "the rage."

I have known it as a nice place to live. Particularly if you want a less expensive home and you don't mind the commute.

But, never as a highly sought-after location.

I think the prices are rising and that makes it less desirable because....location.
That may be a slight exaggeration, but it was definitely recommended and mentioned far more frequently a couple years ago in relocation threads. It was mentioned enough that we actually were very interested in it until we saw it in person.

It could have to do with whatever search terms I was using at the time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary