U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 AM

210 posts, read 509,660 times

Advertisements

I'm very familiar with the area, have seen the "old Cary", have seen the "new Cary. What you are seeing makes perfect sense to me as well as to many others. I do not think you bashed the area at all.

The housing prices have gotten out of control, WCPSS, no matter what anyone says, is a mess. If you go read different blogs, different posts, you can get all sorts of opinions, but the bottom line is what you are seeing, is again, what many others see. It doesn't make the schools bad from an educational standpoint, it's just not how you envision your kids growing up.

The builders are not necessarily greedy. But, like any business, you want to get the optimum price for your product. Based on market conditions, that optimum price is going to be coming down. Do your research, look at the recent newspaper articles in the Cary/Raleigh area. That is why it appears these incentives are being offered by the national builders. They need to move their product.

The area is not necessarily a bad area, just the areas you looked at, are not right for you. North Carolina is a beautiful state as a whole. It's my favorite. The south in general is a great place to work, play, and raise a family. I feel it provides a great quality of life.

Take another trip, seek out some new areas to look at. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 2,532,766 times
I went out with 3 realtors just to get different prospectives on the area. Can I write their names? Anyway while one was showing me a development(the woods at sunset oaks) they were telling me about this incredible deal and I should be jumping all over it. Long story short as I walked around the place and met the guy who originally contracted the house I was about to buy. He told me not to buy that house for 200,000 less then it was offered because of a massive fire inside while it was almost complete. He told me they didn't do a proper clean up or removal,etc,etc and moved him to a home site around the corner. Apparently they put up a dry wall over a light fixture that was on well you know what happen next. The point I'm trying to make is that the realtor did not know about this and the builder wasn't going to tell me about it because under NC you don't have to disclose the information. Well imagine the smell and the problems when the hot and humid summer comes, I glad I'm not going to be holding that bag!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 AM

3,131 posts, read 2,532,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiatorSprings View Post
I'm very familiar with the area, have seen the "old Cary", have seen the "new Cary. What you are seeing makes perfect sense to me as well as to many others. I do not think you bashed the area at all.

The housing prices have gotten out of control, WCPSS, no matter what anyone says, is a mess. If you go read different blogs, different posts, you can get all sorts of opinions, but the bottom line is what you are seeing, is again, what many others see. It doesn't make the schools bad from an educational standpoint, it's just not how you envision your kids growing up.

The builders are not necessarily greedy. But, like any business, you want to get the optimum price for your product. Based on market conditions, that optimum price is going to be coming down. Do your research, look at the recent newspaper articles in the Cary/Raleigh area. That is why it appears these incentives are being offered by the national builders. They need to move their product.

The area is not necessarily a bad area, just the areas you looked at, are not right for you. North Carolina is a beautiful state as a whole. It's my favorite. The south in general is a great place to work, play, and raise a family. I feel it provides a great quality of life.

Take another trip, seek out some new areas to look at. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Well said I agree 100%

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 AM

3,353 posts, read 1,676,557 times
I don't think the poster bashed it either, he was just venting. Or maybe I agree with him on some of his points. There are a lot of areas around here that aren't like that, though.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM

577 posts, read 1,282,003 times
Its good you checked it out and didnt go on what the area was like 4 years ago. And as far as people jumping on the band wagon and picking sides on whether the area is OZ or not is really not whats going on here. Some of us who grew up here and long timers have the advantage of seeing the area transform over time and not all of it has been good,and lets face it there already is allot of sunshine being pumped out on here. This board offers you a chance to get two different views which is really what the site is for. I dont think anyone on here thinks they will slow down the great sunbelt migration to keep the area as nice as it once was, its gonna continue to grow and become very congested and all the issues that come with it. So when a transplant moves here now they see what the area is now and really dont have the perspective of how fast its changed and become developed. If you plan to move here now you really need to face reality and try to imagine what it will look like in a year 2 years 3 years. Its all about common sense and knowing if you really want to deal with the explosive growth now and in the future. Some people like it crowded and think its great and otheres will justify their move by saying its OZ and some just lived in really crummy places and its just better here for them. Also Raleigh has a water supply issue its not just the drought, they have to come up with new sources to continue to provide for the population. The drought has just sped up the end result, all the rain has filled lake Jordon but falls lake still remains 8 feet low because of larger usage , Cary has done a good job with the water supply we started restrictions three years ago. This has been a issue in this area my whole life and it will continue to be and issue in the future. Good luck on your search.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM

8,893 posts, read 14,853,676 times
Big Mike: We thank you for your opinion. I can agree with you on the new cookie-cutter developements. The lots are too small and the houses tend to be overpriced. On the other hand, there is so much to offer in more established developements. Bigger lots, trees, and different style homes. I hope you got the chance to to see these. Maybe NC isn't for you either. That being said, it's important to research the area well before moving there. What one likes, the other may not. Good luck to you and maybe VA is what you're looking for.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,145,929 times
BigMike: Maybe you should try looking at established neighborhoods. I also agree with you about new construction. When we moved to NoVa in the mid-90's from Seattle, I was horrified by what I thought was cookie-cutter construction. So we sought out an established neighborhood. I also don't like the newer built up areas of Cary. Older Cary is nice, but I've not seen much about WCPSS that I like. So I started looking in other areas. People love Clayton (I've not seen it). I like Chapel Hill, Hillsborough and now, thanks to this forum, I'm starting to consider some areas of Durham.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 AM

275 posts, read 786,545 times
I totally agree that realtors around here do not seem to disclose thing like they should. In CA, you can get your sued bigtime. I agree that it does seem like you are going around and around in Cary...thats because you are! Cary was not for my family, not what we were looking for...nuf said.

But in all seriousness, I think you should look at established communities. I see that you looked in Sunset Oaks...I know exactly the house you are talking about because I saw it cooked! But what you really should have looked at is the S. side of Sunset Ridge...established, wooded large lots. Decently built homes...great community. The homes in many areas are not all lines up..with the exception of the main entrances. There are many homes on a street called Lake Edge with your price tag and a golf course or Lake in the backyard.

If its not right here for you, thats great...saves us all some grief. But I think you are looking in the wrong places for what you desire...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM

9,081 posts, read 18,849,323 times
If I had $500K-$700K to spend and I was looking for a newer high end home on .75-1.5 acres with mature trees, I would look at communities in the Falls Lake Watershed area of N. Raleigh. Such as the areas North of I-540 off of Six Forks Road, Creedmoor Road and Route 98. Some nice large homes on large lots. That area has limited commercial development because of the watershed protection regulations. A very nice area IMO. In particular I like the Ethan's Glen community.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...len-north.html

Old 02-26-2008, 11:24 AM

913 posts, read 2,113,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If I had $500K-$700K to spend and I was looking for a newer high end home on .75-1.5 acres with mature trees, I would look at communities in the Falls Lake Watershed area of N. Raleigh. Such as the areas North of I-540 off of Six Forks Road, Creedmoor Road and Route 98. Some nice large homes on large lots. That area has limited commercial development because of the watershed protection regulations. A very nice area IMO. In particular I like the Ethan's Glen community.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...len-north.html
If I am not mistaken, one of the hurricane player live there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary