Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM

186 posts, read 659,507 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend an honest and reliable mover to move us from Los Angeles/Southern California to the Raleigh area? Also, if you have any price information that would be great. We're moving a three-bedroom home, without a huge a mount of stuff. Some names we've heard already include:

United
Mayflower
Beacon
Bekins
Allied
Atlas
Broadway
ABF/U-Pack

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

94 posts, read 315,438 times
We will be doing the same move. Answers to one of my questions may be informative to you. All the Best! PODS or ABF U-Pack?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM

134 posts, read 607,036 times
Smile Mayflower for us

We're moving from the Silicon Valley area in a month and we're about to sign on with Mayflower. United wanted to charge $500 just to box our plasma TV where Mayflower included it. To cut it short, United was almost 1K more than Mayflower but of course, cheaper isn't always better. After researching with BBB, we're sending in paperwork for Mayflower this week to schedule. Good luck and see you in Raleigh!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 AM

26 posts, read 91,342 times
I made the move from LA six years ago, be aware that inter-state moving is very unregulated, and while movers from national companies do have someone to answer to, the are basically using the franchise network and name - it is not a guarantee of quality. I found this out with a very terrible moving experience: low quote, holding my stuff hostage until I paid more, bad trucks, broken items. There was no one to compain to. Check with past clients - ask for recommendations. See if your stuff will be on their truck all the way and who will unload it (professional movers vs day laborers). AND probably, get the "not to exceed" quote and stick with it. Consider insurance. Thankfully, it is over quickly and you can settle in.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,497 times
We used ABF and are so glad we did. You really need to have the stamina and the muscle to do it, but we saved ourselves a bundle. From Colorado to Durham it cost us $2200. Nothing broke, the truck was even a day early. I would recommend them for sure.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM

45 posts, read 178,812 times
Hi,

We just moved from Orange County about 6 months ago and used Arpin Van Lines. They were very professional and courteous. They came to our house packed everything, dismantled furniture, and packed everything in the truck. We received everything in perfect condition and the unpacking was also great. They would unpack to the nearest flat surface or you can unpack yourself.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM

108 posts, read 559,635 times
I would recommend ABF U-Pack...they drop a trailer, you pack it, they haul it, you unload it. No hidden charges, probably the most economical and the least chance for damaged/missing merchandise.

Lots of horror stories for all full-service carriers, the service level and end result seems to depend on that carrier's local office that moves you. Very little regulation by the government has fueled the problem. Researching a company beforehand is not a sure way to avoid problems....companies change names frequently to avoid a bad rap, especially the internet companies.

We moved from Northern California and had an absolute nightmare - the mover doubled the price after they picked up our goods, demanded cash at delivery, and we had lost and damaged goods totalling more than $7k. Had to get the Sherriff out at delivery and filed claims with every government agency possible. Luckily, we had insurance through our own company - but it was still very stressful.

Whatever you do, I recommend you do not use an internet only company, get plenty of insurance, and try to get a mover that does not consolidate shipments before hauling across country

Old 02-26-2008, 11:32 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
I am from Rancho Palos Verdes too

I just made the move and had a GREAT experience with Merit Moving Systems (United Van Lines agent) and John Horist. He's based out of O.C. and moved us from LA to Durham for a reasonable price.

If you need his contact info, let me know!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM

38 posts, read 145,466 times
Thumbs up Moving from LA - Need Mover Recommendations

ABF-UPack would be my recommendation. As someone previously mentioned, you pack (and unpack) & ABF does the driving. I had a neighbor who used them (2 trailers) when they relocated from CA to CO and had nothing but good things to say about the entire experience. So we took this under consideration and did our own research and found ABF is tops in it's field. We ended up using ABF-UPack (PODS) for our move from CA to NC. They were professional, responsive, courteous and most important reasonably priced. Good luck with your move!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
Allow me to interject also that ABF and PODS were almost as expensive as my full service quote. PODS was actually MORE.

Full service did not include packing (except for my bed)

I HIGHLY suggest you check out the moving scam forum - I believe moving scam dot com - google it at least, that's how I found Merit (united agent) and was comfortable with them due to all the positive reviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary