U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 PM

9,068 posts, read 18,386,902 times
I feel that terms like uptown and midtown imply the area is set up on a city grid with blocks (Like Manhattan's upper east side, lower west side, or midtown Manhattan). Only downtown Raleigh is really set up that way. I could see referring to different parts of downtown Raleigh as "up" "middle" and "lower" relative to where you are on the city grid. But I could never think of North Hills as being considered "Midtown" in relation to downtown Raleigh.

I don't really care for the attempts to label areas of Raleigh with terms like uptown and midtown. It seems a bit misleading to me and I get the impression these terms are just used as buzz words for developers trying to promote the locations of their new properties and give their locations some panache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:10 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,273,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I feel that terms like uptown and midtown imply the area is set up on a city grid with blocks (Like Manhattan's upper east side, lower west side, or midtown Manhattan). Only downtown Raleigh is really set up that way. I could see referring to different parts of downtown Raleigh as "up" "middle" and "lower" relative to where you are on the city grid. But I could never think of North Hills as being considered "Midtown" in relation to downtown Raleigh.

I don't really care for the attempts to label areas of Raleigh with terms like uptown and midtown. It seems a bit misleading to me and I get the impression these terms are just used as buzz words for developers trying to promote the locations of their new properties and give their locations some panache.
ITA.. I know I'm the oddball, but I don't like midtown.. give me an old fashioned mall anyday, LOL.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM

2,552 posts, read 4,291,632 times
What is the problem in calling the areas North Hills and Crabtree. Gives it some history. Like Creedmoor road takes you to creedmoor, nc...etc.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 AM

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I noticed recently that my neighbors are receiving News and Observers with the "Midtown Raleigh News" sections in them. We always used to receive the "North Raleigh News" in our NandO. We're still in North Raleigh so I don't understand the change hahah.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:21 AM

Readers' Corner - Midtown Raleigh is news to readers | newsobserver.com blogs

It won't let me edit my post, but here is a funny article about my previous post!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 AM

7,929 posts, read 9,420,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

As Raleigh grew since the 1950's, it's primary direction of growth was North. If you look at a map of Raleigh, it becomes clear that downtown is actually "down" near the bottom of the map of the city. Now that Raleigh's city limits go all the way up to Wake Forest, it's a very easy sell to me that the first wave of northern suburban development now be identified as Midtown. It's pretty logical in that regard.

As much as I don't like the term "Uptown" for Charlotte, at least it is literally uptown from it's major direction of development. While Raleigh grew Northward, Charlotte basically grew to its South. Nonetheless, the uptown designation for Charlotte flies in the face of 99.9% of American cities that refer to their city centers as "downtown".

Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like the homes in North Hills?
To each his own. The quirky mid century homes in North Hills are some of my favorite homes in the city. If I ever wanted to live single family in Raleigh, renovating and tricking out one of these jewels would be my first stop. The problem with most of those houses is that the owners try to shove colonial style into a modern aesthetic home. I'd fill my house with Eames, Naguchi, Nelson and other classic examples from America's heyday of global modern design.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 10,347,093 times
Quote:
To each his own. The quirky mid century homes in North Hills are some of my favorite homes in the city. If I ever wanted to live single family in Raleigh, renovating and tricking out one of these jewels would be my first stop.
Word. Then again, I grew up in one of those neighborhoods and would adore to live there again--I keep hoping that the people who bought the house I grew up in will sell it to me one day...though I might not be able to afford it, now!

And I may be more sensitive than most with calling this area "Midtown", since I grew up there, when it was definitely "the very northern edge of town". I DO see a need for a distinction between "near North Raleigh" and "WAY North Raleigh", but I cringe whenever I see "Midtown", which always makes me think of Atlanta. Nothing agianst Atlanta, but the sprawl and traffic of that metro area is one thing we do NOT want to replicate here (though it's probably too late).

I usually refer to "the 27609 zip code" when mentioning my "home" area, though granted, that is little help to someone who doesn't already know the city.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:12 AM

3,155 posts, read 6,872,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The problem with most of those houses is that the owners try to shove colonial style into a modern aesthetic home. I'd fill my house with Eames, Naguchi, Nelson and other classic examples from America's heyday of global modern design.
What? You don't like the golden eagle in flight perched above your front door and on your mailbox and above your fire place and on your garage doors and above your bed and above your toilet and one on your dishwasher too.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
What? You don't like the golden eagle in flight perched above your front door and on your mailbox and above your fire place and on your garage doors and above your bed and above your toilet and one on your dishwasher too.
Nor do I like the new "eagle" that seems to be everywhere these days....and, what is the new "eagle"? It's those giant Texas stars that seem to be in every "Rooms to Go" living room and bedroom.
I am such a snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary