U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 986,415 times

Advertisements

I have read through the information on the Chapel Hill school website but just can't seem to find the answer. Here's my question...

Divorced couple with 2 children living in Durham (I am unsure of the custody agreement but they live with one parent most of the time in Durham). The couple decides that they want their children to go to Chapel Hill schools, so one of the divorced parents rents a house in Chapel Hill.

The children now attend a Chapel Hill school but the children still spend the majority of the time living with the other parent in Durham. They get dropped off at school in the morning by this parent but ride the school bus home to the Chapel Hill parent's house and then get picked up later by Durham parent.

I would say that the children spend at least 5 nights a week sleeping in the Durham house (or more).

Is this a legit scenario for kids to be in the Chapel Hill school? Do you think that the school would ever catch wind of this?

I can not report or question this due to reasons I can't disclose but to me-it seems like a sneaky way to have kids go to Chapel Hill school. It is my understanding that the domicile (place the children actually live) is the school district that they should be attending not the one that they spend a couple nights at and can take a bus to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:49 AM

606 posts, read 756,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
(I am unsure of the custody agreement but they live with one parent most of the time in Durham).
Stop there. You don't know. Perhaps they have shared custody. It can be perfectly legit.

Why do you care? Isn't life so much easier when we worry about ourselves? Do you feel someone is gaming the system? That may or may not be true, but be careful before starting drama over it because it's going to cause issues and the people that will be affected the most over it are those children and it sounds like they probably have enough to deal with already.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM

1,295 posts, read 724,801 times
Unless you have a copy of their divorce decree your observations don't matter.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:13 AM

2,657 posts, read 1,548,773 times
More common than you think and you don't have all the details. Sounds a bit fishy but since it doesn't impact you no need to worry about it.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 AM

5,138 posts, read 3,676,487 times
One of the parents is paying Chapel Hill taxes, so what does it matter? They're not getting something for free.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:27 PM

16,788 posts, read 25,858,657 times
Don't worry about it. One of the parents actually lives in Chapel Hill so I don't see the problem. You'll be much happier if you stop worrying about the ways in which other people are trying to get over on others.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 PM

Well there is a lot more to the story then I have written but thanks for your responses. And renters don't pay Chapel Hill taxes-maybe you could argue that taxes are built into the rent-but renters don't pay taxes. I would hate it for the kids if suddenly they were pulled from school because this wasn't legit but as you all have said it's not my concern. It's the parents concern.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:37 PM

5,138 posts, read 3,676,487 times
Quote:
I would hate it for the kids if suddenly they were pulled from school because this wasn't legit but as you all have said it's not my concern. It's the parents concern.
Would you really?

Old 11-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Would you really?
Actually yes I would-but thanks for asking.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:31 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Well there is a lot more to the story then I have written but thanks for your responses. And renters don't pay Chapel Hill taxes-maybe you could argue that taxes are built into the rent-but renters don't pay taxes. I would hate it for the kids if suddenly they were pulled from school because this wasn't legit but as you all have said it's not my concern. It's the parents concern.
Taxes are included into the rent, so yes, renters do pay taxes. Its not something one can argue, its a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or