Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM

63 posts, read 82,006 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving somewhere with real seasons, more beauty (Orlando is ugly as sin), etc. Looking in particular for a liberal area,where intellectualism is not a dirty word. Where being Christian doesn't automatically = creationist. We looked at New England, but honestly, we can't afford it. We're a single income family as I stay home with our soon to be 4 kids and homeschool them. Husband is in information security, and I know the research triangle is a tech hub, with good salaries but affordable housing.

I'm thinking, given that we want liberal, maybe even funky, and affordable, and since we don't need a good school district because of homeschooling, that Durham is the better area? Of course, that also would depend on where he can find a job (yes, we'd do that before deciding to move - don't worry).

But all other things equal, any areas that are not a good bet? Either unsafe, or not child friendly, or super conservative? Ability to be somewhat near a Catholic Church would be preferable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:04 PM

514 posts, read 601,928 times
Are you looking for a liberal Catholic Church?

Old 11-15-2016, 06:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,472,306 times
I homeschooled in this area for about 10 years and I also have four kids and I'm from Florida. My sister actually lives in Ormond Beach and my mom is in The Villages. :-)

I think you would be happy pretty much anywhere in the Triangle. There are certainly the Christian=Creationist sorts here, but there is plenty of variety among Christian beliefs. There is a very active Catholic Homeschooling group in the area as well. Cary Homeschoolers is another group that is very diverse group with lots of different religions and plenty of liberal people.

Keep in mind that the colleges and universities around here cater to homeschoolers. UNC Chapel Hill has a state of the art lab and classroom facility where they offer classes for homeschoolers from elementary to high school.

The Museum of Natural Sciences in Downtown Raleigh offers classes for homeschoolers. They also have a Teen Science Cafe where teens can hang out and listen to scientists talk on various subjects.

I really don't think you'll have a problem finding real science education or like-mindedness anywhere in the Triangle.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat about homeschooling in the area. I'm glad to help!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Are you looking for a liberal Catholic Church?
Well, the Catholic Church encompasses a lot of different types...consider me the type that focuses more on social justice issues.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,135,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Well, the Catholic Church encompasses a lot of different types...consider me the type that focuses more on social justice issues.
You'll do just fine in the Triangle! You might want to zero in on a location where after school activities for your kids would be easiest to support.
Lots of social justice opportunity in the Triangle with Raleigh being the state capital. Did you follow the Moral Monday protests?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You'll do just fine in the Triangle! You might want to zero in on a location where after school activities for your kids would be easiest to support.
Lots of social justice opportunity in the Triangle with Raleigh being the state capital. Did you follow the Moral Monday protests?
I did follow them!

My husband is now balking, saying that NC is more southern than Florida so moving there would mean moving to a more conservative place. I'm trying to convince him it is the Austin of NC, lol.

As for activities, good idea.

How is the traffic getting round there, if you aren't in rush hour? So if I was in Durham and wanted to go to a museum or whatever in Raleigh, is that a nightmare, or no big deal if it is say, the middle of the day?

Old 11-16-2016, 06:06 AM

Doe sit make a difference in liberal/conservative for Durham vs Raleigh? How about if we want an older more established neighborhood....maybe even somewhere you can walk somewhere (not all the time, but I grew up riding my bike to the corner store, to a local ice cream place, etc), or doesn't look cookie cutter? Can we find that for say, around $250 or so, in a 4 bedroom?

Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,580,318 times
I think you'd find what you're looking for in most of the triangle area. I would also suggest looking at Carrboro or Hillsborough as they tend to be fairly liberal and a lot of unc professors and employees opt to live there. We have friends who homeschool and live all over. The budget for a 4 bedroom home will put you further out or in a less desirable area most likely but not needing a particular school system or district should help with that. There are several realtors here who can probably point you in the right direction. Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,472,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Doe sit make a difference in liberal/conservative for Durham vs Raleigh? How about if we want an older more established neighborhood....maybe even somewhere you can walk somewhere (not all the time, but I grew up riding my bike to the corner store, to a local ice cream place, etc), or doesn't look cookie cutter? Can we find that for say, around $250 or so, in a 4 bedroom?
I think that 250k number for a 4 bedroom in a walkable area is going to be difficult to find, but not impossible. Areas that come to mind are Walnut Hills, Pirates Cove and Greenwood Forest in Cary. You're probably also looking at something that needs some updating in that price range.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,133 times
This area is becoming more crowded and more expensive every year as new residents come in requiring services.

The state government is very poorly run and, unless the present governor loses the election (still in recount), has presented a very bigoted influence toward minorities and those of moderate income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary