Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 AM

242 posts, read 149,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
You're right, there is mention of an existing tunnel. I'm not exactly sure where it is or why it was even built, as based on the description it wouldn't be connecting anything. I guess maybe it was built proactively when Cary Towne Blvd was widened in anticipation of future development. Looks like there's no consideration of actually using it, and rightly so, based on the photo.

17-REZ-14 Fenton Mixed Use Development Rezoning - Town of Cary, North Carolina
I would guess it would be close to where the plan has the proposed trail crossing CTB, pretty close to I-40. I can't think where there is that much a grade really anywhere else. Going to keep my eye open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 AM

4,292 posts, read 5,939,826 times
It's likely just east of where Walnut Creek passes under Cary Towne Blvd. That's where the planned Walnut Creek Greenay was supposed to be routed. Fenton isn't really interested in anything to do with that piece of the original routing, especially since it's not on their property. And if a bridge is built, I imagine the original plans will be revised to take advantage of that.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 AM

3,367 posts, read 7,727,735 times
Is there anything going on with extending the Walnut Creek Greenway into Cary?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 AM

43,020 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Unfortunate choice of names. Now we may have two Fentons?

Who could find THAT confusing?

The Fenton is a pet-friendly apartment community in Cary, NC.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Thats great. So essentially, youre sitting at Bond, see the menu...walk over to Pro's, place the order, and Pro's gives you a #, then they come find you and deliver. Accurate? Thats great that they all work hand in hand, only thing better would be for the Bond folks to take the orders directly, but while convenient for the patron that would be tough on Bond. Good for them, glad they are all working together to build the community, exactly what that little downtown area needs.
Granted the weather was perfect last night but that whole area was packed when we drove through around 9:30. It was nice to see.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:04 AM

164 posts, read 142,644 times
At Thursday's Town Council Meeting the Fenton mixed use development rezoning hearing was continuted to the November 16 meeting.

17-REZ-14 Fenton Mixed Use Development Rezoning

Repeating the link because of the extreme amount of detail on the proposed project and it's impacts.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:16 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Granted the weather was perfect last night but that whole area was packed when we drove through around 9:30. It was nice to see.
We were there last night and it was packed for sure but manageable. Bond had a special event going on in addition to the regular crowd.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,824,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
On another subject, light rail, rapid transit, bus rapid transit have all be frowned upon if it's anywhere near RDU airport.
Why? They lose parking deck revenue.
This is an urban legend. And this is a fire that is being intentionally stoked by anti-transit ideologues in order to poison the general public against rail transit in our area.

The reason no rail plans get near RDU airport is because light rail would have to make an four-mile detour from the rail corridor in order to get there, and the detour would traverse nothing but unpopulated wetlands and industrial warehouses smack in the middle of the noisiest part of the flight path, so there is no potential mixed use development. Building this line would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and the only people who would use it are airport employees (who are important transit customers, but there aren't enough of them to justify a rail link!)

At any rate, there is no justification for rail transit to the airport in the triangle, for at least 50 years or so - and even then, it would only make sense in the context of having an already established, multi-line rail system that connects to numerous destinations and is relied on by a significant portion of our population.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:07 PM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,687,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Building this line would cost hundreds of millions of dollars and the only people who would use it are airport employees
I'm not sure that's entirely true. People traveling into/from RDU would use it. I'd love to take a train from downtown Durham/Raleigh/Cary to the airport and not have to park and worry about a car.

I recently flew into Denver's airport and took the train from their airport to downtown Denver's Union Station which is a roughly 40 minute train ride. Here's a map of their rail network, I rode the entire length of the A line twice:

People would use this if it was available, but the cost is just so prohibitive.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,824,192 times
Yes, but remember that Denver had an established, multi-line rail system relied on by a significant portion of their population before they pursued a link to their airport. Their first light rail line opened in 1994; the link to the airport opened 22 years later in 2016. They didn't insist that the connection to the airport get built FIRST THING, which is what those who have been poisoned against rail transit here by this argument are demanding.

The general public flies, what, MAX ten times a year. The business traveler who flies more often is usually on an expense account, so what motivation do they have to not (1) take Uber, which offers door-to-door service and is more expensive (but hey- expense account!) or (2) Drive and pay to park in the deck (again, expense account!)

You have to build a transit system for people who would ride it every day - at least to start with, anyway.

Please take a look over my post history. I am generally not one to promote conspiracy theories. But this lie about RDU and a rail system has been repeated so many times that it has somehow become fact in the minds of the public, to the point where any time I talk about rail transit with anybody, even generally progressively minded people, they repeat it almost out of reflex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary