Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,254,235 times

Advertisements

I really want a stadium that would be seen from the above photo.

But, I am really warming up to my hypothetical on Capital Blvd. Especially if Capital Blvd and the railroad could be maximized for both moving people and getting a stadium as close to DT as possible.

Plus a stadium would clean out some of that riff raff businesses on that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:28 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,895,088 times
This is a really interesting opportunity for the Triangle. There is very stiff competition for the next few MLS spots though. I think there is almost zero chance that Raleigh gets either of the next two spots (#25 and 26-those will prob go to Sacramento and St. Louis), but I think we have a fighting chance for #27 and 28.

IMO to be competitive the stadium will need to be close to some other existing uses. Downtown Raleigh would be best, but as others have said I'm not sure there is a large enough parcel available. The Southern Gateway location would have been ideal, but I think the remaining land there is too small w/ the school taking part of it. Dix is interesting, but I'm not sure if the public would go for that. Affordable housing is a priority for the current administration in Raleigh and I have a hard time seeing it being possible to displace an existing neighborhood like some have suggested for Heritage Park. If I had to guess, I think the announcement of the location will be North Hills. It is already amenitized and assembling the right size parcel will probably be easier.

Wake Med makes some sense since it would be the most economic option, but I don't think a location there would be enough to convince MLS to award a franchise. It just isn't the type of facility MLS leadership wants at this point, and now there is enough competition for franchises that they can be picky.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:35 PM

6,651 posts, read 5,577,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
This is a really interesting opportunity for the Triangle. There is very stiff competition for the next few MLS spots though. I think there is almost zero chance that Raleigh gets either of the next two spots (#25 and 26-those will prob go to Sacramento and St. Louis), but I think we have a fighting chance for #27 and 28.

IMO to be competitive the stadium will need to be close to some other existing uses. Downtown Raleigh would be best, but as others have said I'm not sure there is a large enough parcel available. The Southern Gateway location would have been ideal, but I think the remaining land there is too small w/ the school taking part of it. Dix is interesting, but I'm not sure if the public would go for that. Affordable housing is a priority for the current administration in Raleigh and I have a hard time seeing it being possible to displace an existing neighborhood like some have suggested for Heritage Park. If I had to guess, I think the announcement of the location will be North Hills. It is already amenitized and assembling the right size parcel will probably be easier.

Wake Med makes some sense since it would be the most economic option, but I don't think a location there would be enough to convince MLS to award a franchise. It just isn't the type of facility MLS leadership wants at this point, and now there is enough competition for franchises that they can be picky.
North Hills would get a lot of push back from a traffic standpoint (and the fact that it isn't really planned to be thoroughly connected via transit). Ideally it should be somewhere on the proposed BRT or Commuter Rail lines.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 AM

142 posts, read 283,573 times
I live near the North Hills area. Where exactly would a stadium go there?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,748,165 times
Would have to be along St Albans somewhere heading back toward the Hilton. I don't see it happening, both for logistical reasons and the fact that the land is worth too much for a sports stadium. Way more money to be made putting office and apartments through there.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,318,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
MLS has a mixture of stadiums, some located in/near downtowns and other out in the burbs. Just look at the newest stadium, Avaya Stadium in San Jose, not near the downtown, it's actually right across the street from the airport.

Plenty of other examples of stadiums, not near the city/metro centers:

Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas
Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey (kinda close to downtown Newark, wouldn't want to walk between the two at night)
Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, Pennsylvania (one of the poorest cities in the entire Commonwealth)
Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah
Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado
Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois
Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas
StubHub Center in Carson, California

The new Banc of California Stadium will be next to the LA Coliseum, but definitely not downtown and the new Minnesota United FC Stadium will be almost halfway between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

I'm don't think a Wake Med location would be as much of a negative against getting an MLS expansion team as some people think. If they have the deep pockets to fund the stadium by themselves, I think MLS will look at that as more of a positive than where the stadium will be located.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:34 AM

142 posts, read 283,573 times
Related: NCFC owner Malik purchases NWSL's Flash, will relocate to start play this season :: WRALSportsFan.com

So it looks like Malik really is serious about making soccer a thing in the Triangle, which couldn't make me more happy! I wonder how this new development will affect NCFC.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 AM

307 posts, read 377,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
Related: NCFC owner Malik purchases NWSL's Flash, will relocate to start play this season :: WRALSportsFan.com

So it looks like Malik really is serious about making soccer a thing in the Triangle, which couldn't make me more happy! I wonder how this new development will affect NCFC.
Interesting, probably helps him out with a stadium as well because now he can have 2 teams playing in it.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,254,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post

Some extra info about this. The National Women’s Soccer League is the top US women's league. So that is good for us to have a team already in the highest division. There are currently 10 teams.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:03 PM

4,302 posts, read 5,980,994 times
Not a big surprise considering it was part of last month's announcement that they'd be bringing in an NWSL team within six months. Nice to see it moving quickly though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary