Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times

Advertisements

Unless you are senior exec level they aren't gonna bother

There are tons of ridiculous non competes out there and courts generally don't enforce non competes that do crap like rob your ability to work

In North Carolina you are an at-will employee and can leave or be fired for any reason they can't wave a stupid contract that impinges your ability to find a job

Now if you were taking trade secrets to another company a court might look at that

I wouldn't worry about it and just take this as a reminder of our pervasive wage slavery and that the working world is full of idiots and oppressors and maybe vote for Bernie

It's not worth your time

Is Your Non-compete Agreement Enforceable? | HR Examiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 25,538 times
~~~ Clarification ~~~

O.P. again here.

Thank you very much for the responses so far. They are much appreciated. It's interesting to find out others' perspectives.

However, I'd like to clarify that what I'm looking for here is a recommendation for an attorney. I am hoping that someone who knows a good lawyer (or a good law firm) will see this and give me the name of someone I can call.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:24 AM

273 posts, read 911,953 times
Depending on the city you live in you can Search on the internet and find a personal injury or employment attorney in your location/city. Avoid the firms in and around RTP itself as they usually deal exclusively with the Employer and not the Employee. Ask the receptionist on the phone whether or not the firm works with the Employee. Alternatively you may want to work with a Contracts Attorney. You also didn't mention your salary --so if you are protecting a $500M salary you may want to go with the big 5 law firms, or just a person or small firm if you are in the $200K and under zone....it all depends. Fees may range from $250 up. I had one attorney once who charged by the page. He was good.

At this stage you do not need someone with litigation experience, just employment experience or contracts experience. I sent you a direct message with a recommendation.

Good luck.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I've had to sign a non-compete at every company I've worked for however them proving it's a direct competitor is usually where it falls apart. If you're not comfortable I'd contact an employment lawyer and be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars for them to review it for you. Not cheap but worth it. I will DM you a name to use.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 AM

332 posts, read 398,163 times
You should definitely talk to a lawyer. That non compete is probably not enforceable but I have read NC state law favors employers. Also contracts are supposed to be balanced so you should receive some sort of compensation/bonus in return for signing a contract that will potentially limit your income down the line.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 8,160 times
If they presented a new contract after you already joined the company, tell them this particular bit of legal handiwork was not on the table when you agreed to come on board for x salary amount and ask them if they want to renegotiate the terms of employment after the fact?

A colleague of mine went through this exact thing, be aware it ended up in an ugly situation for him but he also got a very nice payout from the lawsuit than followed (enough to completely pay off his mortgage in fact).

Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM

169 posts, read 540,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I remember reading somewhere that non-compete's don't hold up in court. I have no idea the truth of that.
I've heard similar that those non-compete forms aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais3dByWolv3s View Post
~~~ Clarification ~~~

O.P. again here.

Thank you very much for the responses so far. They are much appreciated. It's interesting to find out others' perspectives.

However, I'd like to clarify that what I'm looking for here is a recommendation for an attorney. I am hoping that someone who knows a good lawyer (or a good law firm) will see this and give me the name of someone I can call.
All...

Give attorney names.

OP? We love to discuss issues here on the local forum.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Right, what we're telling you OP is unless you *should* be worried about this (which, if you should be, you would be, IE you're a CxO or board member with justification for a true non compete) you're wasting your time. But if you want to go to an attorney and pay them to look something over that will never be enforced, used, or looked at again after you sign it, go for it.

If you still want to set your money on fire, Maginnis Law in Raleigh has good reviews and they do employment work.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais3dByWolv3s View Post
~~~ Clarification ~~~

O.P. again here.

it's going to cost you rather significant money ($500-1K minimum for real expertise), and your first ? has to be "does your firm represent my company?"

If you earn > $100K a year, you're right to have an attorney with employment law experience review it. However, I've been personally told by local employment attorneys what has been posted - that non-competes are hard to enforce and have to be industry-specific/job-function specific.

If you want to proceed, just say the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: