Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 03:01 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,686,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I hope your all well! Is it possible to fine a 3-4 bed single family home, within 20-35 mins to RTP commute?

I'm liking what I hear about Cary & Apex. I could be wrong, but I hear Holly Springs & Wake forest are a bit far out there when making the 5 day a week rush hour commute to the RTP.

My budget for a home is 200-260. Max. We prefer a home under 20 years old. Hopefully 3-4 beds, 2 baths and at least 2000 square feet.

Any info helps!

Have a safe & wonderful weekend!

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope your all well! Is it possible to fine a 3-4 bed single family home, within 20-35 mins to RTP commute?

I'm liking what I hear about Cary & Apex. I could be wrong, but I hear Holly Springs & Wake forest are a bit far out there when making the 5 day a week rush hour commute to the RTP.

My budget for a home is 200-260. Max. We prefer a home under 20 years old. Hopefully 3-4 beds, 2 baths and at least 2000 square feet.

Any info helps!

Have a safe & wonderful weekend!

Thank you

Yes, it is possible. You won't have a great selection, and getting one under 20 years old will be difficult.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:27 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times
The reason that there is so much growth in Holly Springs etc. is that there are extremely limited numbers of homes close in to RTP like you and many others would prefer. But keep your eyes open and get a good agent (like the ones who contribute to this forum) and you might be successful. A good agent will know about future transit planning and ways to be in the right place at the right time for when new roads and interstates are installed.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 AM

811 posts, read 828,053 times
An acceptable commute is a very relative thing as everyone has different standards/tolerances. For me, HS and Wake Forest are too much of a daily grind to RTP. Definitely Wake Forest is too far. About 30 minutes to RTP HQ without traffic, with traffic...a painful 45 minutes..... and getting worse with no relief in sight. Still, this is acceptable to some coming from larger metros like Atlanta, NY, Boston etc. Holly Springs use to be in the same boat. But then came the 540 toll road! Now, it is a very consistent and predictable 25 minutes using the toll.... Hooray!!! However, it will cost you -one of the most expensive toll roads per mile in the country. It is about 5 bucks round trip and I would conservatively figure $1000 - 1200/yr with holidays and other time off taking away some of the trips. For some people this is chump change.

With your budget, new build SFH is not going to happen so you are doing yourself a huge favor being open to resales -you'd be surprised how many paint themselves in the corner of new or nothin and then "complain" they can't find anything that fits their needs... anyways... I digress. You should look at older more established parts/neighborhoods of Apex and Cary with Cary being a little closer and more convenient to RTP. These will be the more eastern sections of the towns. We live off of North Harrison in Cary and it is a pretty consistent 15 minutes to go the 13 miles to RTP HQ in the morning when people slowly trickle into work. Different story with the evening commute back home when everyone rushes out of the office at the same time; it is 20 minutes back home in the evening... 25 minutes if there is a crash. Note, it has gotten significantly worse over the last 3 years. The 540 toll has not alleviated it (I40), as expected, because it is so expensive many people "down south", in HS and Fuquay-Varina, are still taking the old Hwy 1/440 I40 RTP route ...takes some close to an hour now in the evening to get home.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:18 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Agree with Mike. You will probably have to look at houses over 20 years old but you can find houses 20-30 years old in that range.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,751,879 times
If you open up to homes that are 30 years or less, you really start to increase your choices, which still are limited. If you have patience and are prepared to go to the high level of your range, it can be done. Be prepared to pull the trigger quickly if something hits the market.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
If you open up to homes that are 30 years or less, you really start to increase your choices, which still are limited. If you have patience and are prepared to go to the high level of your range, it can be done. Be prepared to pull the trigger quickly if something hits the market.
Yes. Decisive, and avoiding excessive haste.

Yup! What Fun!

Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM

811 posts, read 828,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post

I agree with this. Also, as Apex and Cary are more mature suburbs, they will have much more of this type inventory. Holly Springs, being newer, is more limited to stuff that is much newer and expensive or older and not in that great of shape (very small beat up 1950 brick ranches with no garage and trailers -paying 200K for the land mostly).

Every so often you get "lucky" with something like this: in Cary with 12 minute (toll) -18 minute (no toll) commute to RTP.....if you can stretch your budget a little (290K) and live with older (21 years old) and under 2000 sqft (1800). IMHO, this property, which went on the market today, will sell today - part of the be able to move fast thing that Dire Wolf mentions.

105 Grandtree Ct, Cary, NC 27519 | MLS #2100026 | Zillow

Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
1. get pre-qualified, because your stated price range will be very difficult.
2. start looking now by finding a user-friendly website that lets you use a geographic search (preferably you get to draw the map, based on your work location in RTP).
3. start tracking what comes and goes on the market, so as Mike and others have said - you're extremely prepared.
4. you didn't say whether you only wanted Wake County, but given the towns named, it sounds so - please update us.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:34 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
today, there are 6 homes for sale within 20 miles (20-35 minutes, and getting > 15 miles gets right to 35 minutes), in Wake Co, 2000 sqft, built since 1996.

In the last 90 days, 33 have sold, 8 more are under contract. Of those 6 for sale, 3 have been on the market at least 2 months, and in that price range - that's actually a long time.

of those that sold, you can expect to pay $250K, get 2,200 sqft, and the house is gonna sell in 2 weeks.

20 of the 48 homes involved are in Holly Springs, meaning past US1 south of RTP/Cary/Apex. If you're going to RTP, are you prepared to use the toll road to ensure the trip during normal hours is < 30-35 minutes?

Another 20 are in NE Raleigh in the Capital Blvd corridor. That's stretching your commute as well.

So, oversimplifying, there have been 4 homes in 90 days with a "better" commute (within 15 miles) and they're all sold. That's pretty slim pickins.

so step 2, at worst step 4, needs to be to find a Realtor to help you define the right search area, and the must-haves vs would-be-nice items. Homes aren't going to get a lot older, but going to 1980 built does open up 25 more - that's a 50% increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary