Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:59 AM

258 posts, read 671,682 times

Advertisements

I am retired...maybe thats why my times are different. I never go anywhere during those peak times... fark that Nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 04:57 PM

510 posts, read 896,982 times
I haven't been up to the Wake Forest/Rolesville area in years, so no opinion on it. I do live in Fuquay; been here since 2004. I am not happy how the growth has changed the town, and would not choose to move here now.
Not sure what your budget is and what type of house/property you are interested in. I would think your money would go further in terms of housing in Rolesville, but not certain. Traffic in Fuquay can be pretty bad, but that might not bother you if you work from home. It seems they are building houses faster than they build roads. They have added a few roads and plan to add a few more, and also plan to widen some in the near future, but they also have approved more houses. So I doubt there will be any relief. Like others said, you would have to come and visit both places to make a decision.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,980,346 times
FV parks and rec is just so-so, but Sunset Bluffs is right on the border with Holly Springs so you will be able to choose between the two for kids activities. You would probably be assigned to Holly Grove MS which is one of the better schools in Wake. FV is getting a new high school in the next couple of years, not sure if your kids will be too old to take advantage of that.

Both towns are a little "further out", although at 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh, this tends to get exaggerated on occasion.

You can't go wrong with either.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:41 AM

808 posts, read 824,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
FV parks and rec is just so-so, but Sunset Bluffs is right on the border with Holly Springs so you will be able to choose between the two for kids activities. You would probably be assigned to Holly Grove MS which is one of the better schools in Wake. FV is getting a new high school in the next couple of years, not sure if your kids will be too old to take advantage of that.

Both towns are a little "further out", although at 20 minutes from downtown Raleigh, this tends to get exaggerated on occasion.

You can't go wrong with either.

Concerning FV, 20 minutes? Maybe if you live on the northern edge of town and work in the extreme south part of Raleigh...with no traffic. Otherwise, central DT FV to central DT Raleigh is 18 miles and 30 minutes, w/o traffic, and over 40 minutes with traffic during typical commute times. Rolesville is less developed (less traffic) and maybe a little quicker... for now.

Living is eastern Cary, I'm 10 miles and 15 minutes from DT Raleigh, w/o traffic, and just under 20 during typical commute times. So, 20 minutes from central FV area to DT Raleigh...no way... unless you average near 60mph the whole way -which is impossible. Otherwise, houses there would be a lot more expensive.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,212,705 times
I often wonder the psychology behind people who state they live somewhere because they like the small town feel, and then proceed to exaggerate the commute to be better than it actually is. I see it all the time

Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,961,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I often wonder the psychology behind people who state they live somewhere because they like the small town feel, and then proceed to exaggerate the commute to be better than it actually is. I see it all the time
They know the tricks and back roads.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,980,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Concerning FV, 20 minutes? Maybe if you live on the northern edge of town and work in the extreme south part of Raleigh...with no traffic. Otherwise, central DT FV to central DT Raleigh is 18 miles and 30 minutes, w/o traffic, and over 40 minutes with traffic during typical commute times. Rolesville is less developed (less traffic) and maybe a little quicker... for now.

Living is eastern Cary, I'm 10 miles and 15 minutes from DT Raleigh, w/o traffic, and just under 20 during typical commute times. So, 20 minutes from central FV area to DT Raleigh...no way... unless you average near 60mph the whole way -which is impossible. Otherwise, houses there would be a lot more expensive.

Yes it takes longer from the south side of FV. Yes it takes longer during peak hour. Yes, it takes longer going to north side of Raleigh. Yes, it takes longer if you have a really, really long driveway.

I do it under 20 minutes quite often. Even less from the northern parts of town up towards Ten Ten. How often do you do the drive?
https://goo.gl/maps/cMcQ5EtmYwJ2

To translate to Cary speak, it takes about the same time as it would from Cary if you were coming from Cary Pkwy + High House intersection.
https://goo.gl/maps/PkmjwrxE31y

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 12-18-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,908,436 times
I agree with the travel times stated.

Even before Rolesville Bypass opened, it took 25 minutes to travel from Louisburg to Capital Blvd.

The distance signs you see on US-401 are measured to Downtown Raleigh, so Rolesville is about 12-13 miles from Downtown.

I always move at a decent clip going into Raleigh.

CULTURE SHOCK ALERT for OP coming from Connecticut to outskirts of Raleigh:

Tiny downtown centers in Connecticut have Tiffanys and Volvo dealerships.

Walmart and over-abundance of fast food joints at every corner will be the norm in NC.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:39 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,878,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
...Walmart and over-abundance of fast food joints at every corner will be the norm in NC.
Overblown statement.

Not entirely false, however.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM

35 posts, read 36,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I see this a lot about living in the towns around Raleigh. I think it is great to have a reality check. Thanks!

However, in my experience living in many places across America, these commute times aren't that crazy. Pretty average for a place as spread out as Raleigh and with as many people who live there. I live 18 miles south of Denver and to get to Denver via 470/25 takes 40 minutes easy. Almost twice that during rush hours or snow days. Getting to CA State Capitol in Sacto from Elk Grove 15 years ago was the same deal. I'd imagine it's worse now. The commute between Tacoma and Seattle is enough to grind your soul into gritty black paste. Ever see Austin traffic? Yikes!!

I only say this cuz I'm sure the congestion and growth is frustrating for Raleigh natives and longtimers. But for many of us suburbanites elsewhere, we've long accepted that trade-off of affordable housing for time on the road.

As a former drywall hanger I can tell you these must be good times for guys who swing a hammer for a living and there's nothing wrong with that. Helps the whole economy there when everyone is working hard and population is increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary