Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting and funny - hahaha funny - that a WI organization gets involved, and that any local parent (maybe a WI native and former member?) contacted the WI group to raise a kerfuffle about tis in the first place.

I seriously doubt Apex has some higher concentration of LDS folks, or that their ranks increase because school chorus groups perform at their festival.

And lastly, it seems to me that if these students in the groups were REQUIRED to participate as part of their grade or future choir involvement, that would indeed be wrong and seen as endorsing. Merely allowing a group to perform, and thus advance their skills and practicing performing in front of a group of people large and small, that doesn't strike as endorsing to me.

Some folks would be surprised at the bands, choirs, etc that go perform at individual churches without fanfare. And not even hymns or other religious music!!1!1!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

And lastly, it seems to me that if these students in the groups were REQUIRED to participate as part of their grade or future choir involvement, that would indeed be wrong and seen as endorsing. Merely allowing a group to perform, and thus advance their skills and practicing performing in front of a group of people large and small, that doesn't strike as endorsing to me.

Imagine if the choir was "allowed to perform" at a Muslim ministry/outreach event. Would that still be no big deal to you?

Old 12-20-2016, 06:29 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Not an ensemble musician, huh? Ensemble performances start to fall apart when individual members start opting out. At best, the balance suffers. At worst, you lose critical elements like percussion and rhythm.

What good is a performance if many of the pieces are missing?

Old 12-20-2016, 07:09 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,573,191 times
It's simple having a school group perform at a religious event forces families who don't believe in said regions to single their child out and put them in an awkward situation of not going. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who think all religions are something to be avoided. And then their are those who participate in another religion in the same situation.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,579,597 times
Quote:
I find it interesting and funny - hahaha funny - that a WI organization gets involved, and that any local parent (maybe a WI native and former member?) contacted the WI group to raise a kerfuffle about tis in the first place.
The fact that the Freedom From Religion Foundation is based in Wisconsin is not relevant to the issue. It is a national organization, not a Wisconsin group.

The American Red Cross is based in Washington DC.
The American Cancer Society is based in Oklahoma City OK.
The Sierra Club is based in Oakland CA.

The point is that any organization has its main office in some city, somewhere. That fact does not anchor their interest to that city or that state.

Note: I am not now, and never have been, a member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
The fact that the Freedom From Religion Foundation is based in Wisconsin is not relevant to the issue. It is a national organization, not a Wisconsin group.
And according to their website, there is a chapter in Cary.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:44 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
How sad so glad the enlightened liberals saved our children from participating in an event where someone mentions Jesus. I'm not sure what the expectation is of where a choir can participate if not church affiliated events maybe basketball games????
How would you feel if you or yours were made to sing songs that mention Allah? Or HaShem? Or Satan? I'm good with keeping religion out of public schools and institutions.

And don't get me wrong, I think religion is wonderful. But I also think it's extremely personal and no one should ever be put in a position where it's forced upon them, like, say, in their classroom.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:47 AM

3,667 posts, read 6,560,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not an ensemble musician, huh? Ensemble performances start to fall apart when individual members start opting out. At best, the balance suffers. At worst, you lose critical elements like percussion and rhythm.

What good is a performance if many of the pieces are missing?
It's a different story if participation is voluntary and, going in, you know it will involve some religious material. But if you're required to participate, like in a school choir, that's something else entirely.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
How would you feel if you or yours were made to sing songs that mention Allah? Or HaShem? Or Satan? I'm good with keeping religion out of public schools and institutions.

And don't get me wrong, I think religion is wonderful. But I also think it's extremely personal and no one should ever be put in a position where it's forced upon them, like, say, in their classroom.
Exactly.

Constitution is good with jeeping religion out of public schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary