Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 AM

68 posts, read 86,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So my sister just got her first teaching job after she graduates next week. She will be teaching at East Garner magnet middle(on Jones sausage Rd). She went there as a child and is super excited. She has not lived in the area as adult though and as her much older sister, I told her I would help her figure out an affordable apartments, where she will be safe. Her biggest obstacle will be her two cats, though. Does anyone have some suggestions as to where to start her search? I've always had great success on this forum for myself, so I figured I'd start here for her.

Budget: $600-$800(preferably lower end of that)
Pet friendly (cats)
Safe area
Garner or Clayton area or within 30 min commute. School starts at 8:15 (she will need to arrive earlier) out at 3:45 (probably will leave a bit later most days)
1 bedroom or studio, she would be fine with bigger if affordable
Doesn't have to be apartment, but we assume apartments are cheaper
Would be nice if some utilities are included, especially at higher price point

She is NOT interested in buying yet in her life.

Ok tell me any suggestions. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
Hi,
So my sister just got her first teaching job after she graduates next week. She will be teaching at East Garner magnet middle(on Jones sausage Rd). She went there as a child and is super excited. She has not lived in the area as adult though and as her much older sister, I told her I would help her figure out an affordable apartments, where she will be safe. Her biggest obstacle will be her two cats, though. Does anyone have some suggestions as to where to start her search? I've always had great success on this forum for myself, so I figured I'd start here for her.

Budget: $600-$800(preferably lower end of that)
Pet friendly (cats)
Safe area
Garner or Clayton area or within 30 min commute. School starts at 8:15 (she will need to arrive earlier) out at 3:45 (probably will leave a bit later most days)
1 bedroom or studio, she would be fine with bigger if affordable
Doesn't have to be apartment, but we assume apartments are cheaper
Would be nice if some utilities are included, especially at higher price point

She is NOT interested in buying yet in her life.

Ok tell me any suggestions. Thank you.
Has she considered a roommate that likes cats?

She could get a much nicer, likely safer, apartment if she could swing a roommate situation.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM

68 posts, read 86,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Has she considered a roommate that likes cats?

She could get a much nicer, likely safer, apartment if she could swing a roommate situation.
She would be open to it, if she was a more professional person and not a college student wanting to party all the time. She is a pretty clean person too, so that would be a must. How would she go about looking at those options, I am much older with a family so I have never had to look for apartments or roommates.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
Welcome to Garner! We love Garner! We live in the Brownstone Village area near Woodland and Timber Dr. There are a couple of houses I know that are rented here. Smaller homes but still might cost a little more unless a room mate is an option. Anyways hope that helps some.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
She would be open to it, if she was a more professional person and not a college student wanting to party all the time. She is a pretty clean person too, so that would be a must. How would she go about looking at those options, I am much older with a family so I have never had to look for apartments or roommates.
I would try Craigslist, first. Make sure that anyone she meets she does with someone else tagging along to help look for signs that the situation is legitimate and a good fit.

I used to teach, and young teachers are the most common roommate situations of professionals together that I've ever seen. You have to do SOMETHING to live on a starting teacher's salary.

I hope she finds something good!

Old 12-16-2016, 03:21 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
I've used craigslist exclusively for roommate living situations in the Triangle for the past 2+ years. First in Durham for 450 all utilities included, second in Carrboro for 400, now I'm in Raleigh for 450. 1 roommate each time, 1 was definitely a party roommate so if she just looks through the hundreds of ads she's bound to find something. 30 min commute, are you constrained to just Garner or Clayton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary