U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: My Kids will be reassigned from one school to another almost every year in beautiful Cary, NC
Stability in my kids education is paramount to me, I will never move here 28 32.94%
I don't care about stability in my kids education, I will move here for the weather 11 12.94%
I can afford to put all my kids in private school so school reassignment is not an issue for me, I will move here 13 15.29%
These issues have made me think twice about moving to Cary NC. I am unsure of moving to Cary NC. 35 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM

489 posts, read 972,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtNC View Post
And that's the point. I think there are valid complaints about YR but I also think there are positives as well. For some the YR negatives will outweigh the positives and for others, just the opposite. I tend to think that YR takes more abuse not b/c it's worse intrinsically but more b/c people are not used to it.

I just tend to shy away from those that think that it's all horrible without any positives and those that think there are not any problems at all. The truth lies somewhere in between but the same could be said of traditional calendar schools.
I think that Single track year round schools can have some benefits but I think that you lose most of those benefits when you go to a multi track system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,626,594 times
In Durham the year round schools are magnets (so yes I recognize it's a different bag than year round schools in Wake). All the parents that I've met who have children in year round schools in Durham love it and all say how lucky they feel to have gotten into a year round school. All the YR schools in Durham have waiting lists and it's tough to get into if you move into the district mid-year or if your child is beyond Kindergarten for elementary and beyond 6th grade for middle.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:29 PM

7,220 posts, read 13,657,937 times
The cost of air conditioning is just not a valid point. The schools are air conditioned whether year round or traditional. They don't turn off the A/C when students are not there. They have employees that work year round plus books, magazines and computer and other equipment that doesn't just swelter all summer long.
I know some people would like to come up with reasons that YR doesn't work, but A/C is not one of them.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,837,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The cost of air conditioning is just not a valid point. The schools are air conditioned whether year round or traditional. They don't turn off the A/C when students are not there. They have employees that work year round plus books, magazines and computer and other equipment that doesn't just swelter all summer long.
I know some people would like to come up with reasons that YR doesn't work, but A/C is not one of them.
That's ironic and humorous for me because one of the main reasons given for not installing air conditioning in our town's recent $60 million high school/elementary school renovation is that the schools are not in use during the summer. So all that computer equipment swelters and the library books are exposed to high humidity and mold probably thrives as well. And though we don't have YR school here, many camps and other summer programs DO use the school buildings.

And I'm pointing the finger of criticism here at our school district, NOT the YR program of Wake County.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,588,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
In Durham the year round schools are magnets (so yes I recognize it's a different bag than year round schools in Wake). All the parents that I've met who have children in year round schools in Durham love it and all say how lucky they feel to have gotten into a year round school. All the YR schools in Durham have waiting lists and it's tough to get into if you move into the district mid-year or if your child is beyond Kindergarten for elementary and beyond 6th grade for middle.
Actually, Easley is year round, and it's a neighborhood school. I know because my daughter just started there a few weeks ago.... We really love our new school so far and the year round aspect was a bonus. Year round is the way to go IMO.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,239,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
That's ironic and humorous for me because one of the main reasons given for not installing air conditioning in our town's recent $60 million high school/elementary school renovation is that the schools are not in use during the summer. So all that computer equipment swelters and the library books are exposed to high humidity and mold probably thrives as well. And though we don't have YR school here, many camps and other summer programs DO use the school buildings.

And I'm pointing the finger of criticism here at our school district, NOT the YR program of Wake County.
You're in Massachusetts, right?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 AM

3,155 posts, read 6,626,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Actually, Easley is year round, and it's a neighborhood school. I know because my daughter just started there a few weeks ago.... We really love our new school so far and the year round aspect was a bonus. Year round is the way to go IMO.
Sandycat, thanks! I learned something new. Good to hear your daughter and your family likes Easley. We have preschool friends who just started Pearsontown a few weeks ago and they all love it too. And their parents are looking forward to their Sept beach trips when all the rest of the kids are in school but the beaches are still fabulous and cheaper.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,923,879 times
I had no idea that Durham County also has some year round schools! Another county to cross off the list

Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM

28 posts, read 33,425 times
Saturn,
Didn't you relocate to the area?

Should I stay in NY unemployed or follow my job to the triangle?

When I move into town will I be less welcomed than you?

Should I have less of a voice than you?

I am new to this post and sad to say that I feel there some who do not welcome us newcomers to the area.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM

8,999 posts, read 17,642,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc4us View Post
Saturn,
Didn't you relocate to the area?

Should I stay in NY unemployed or follow my job to the triangle?

When I move into town will I be less welcomed than you?

Should I have less of a voice than you?

I am new to this post and sad to say that I feel there some who do not welcome us newcomers to the area.
Don't let the posts here on the forum get you down. There is some great info on this Internet board but there are roughly 75-100 posters here at any given time while there are 100's of thousand of people in the Triangle. The types of reactions and opinions you get here are not necessarily the best representation and should be taken with a grain of salt. Good Luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary