Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My Kids will be reassigned from one school to another almost every year in beautiful Cary, NC
Stability in my kids education is paramount to me, I will never move here 28 32.94%
I don't care about stability in my kids education, I will move here for the weather 11 12.94%
I can afford to put all my kids in private school so school reassignment is not an issue for me, I will move here 13 15.29%
These issues have made me think twice about moving to Cary NC. I am unsure of moving to Cary NC. 35 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
DO high schools get re assigned?

When a new high school is built, doesn't Wake County just take the 9th graders? This is how I have always understood it to be.

When I search for my clients...I always see the comments that 10-12th graders go to XXX high school but upcoming 9th graders go to the new XXX high school.

Has anyone had something different happen to them?

Vicki
Unfortunately Yes. A few years back when Panther Creek opened our neighborhood was split. Some were staying at Green Hope and some were going to Panther Creek. Good thing they reversed it.

But for other neighborhoods with Green Hope and Panther Creek they took the 9th and 10th grade and sent them to Panther Creek. So children spent 9th grade at Green Hope for one year and the rest of the three are carried out at Panther Creek.

Unfotunately, I know atleast one family in my area that has children at Green Hope and Panther Creek. Now that is tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
Default Give me a break

Show me an area that doesn't have "educational issues" other than rural areas......

Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,509 times
There is no option for this scenario:

I will move to an established neighborhood in Cary, NC where the school assignments have not changed for more than five years. Future re-assignments are unlikely since this part of town is mostly built-out and the residents cover the socio-economic spectrum.

I am not suggesting that a resale home in an older part of town with a diverse population is the right choice for everyone moving to Cary. Still, it is an option that was ignored by the poll.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Unfotunately, I know atleast one family in my area that has children at Green Hope and Panther Creek. Now that is tough.
This is just a little misleading. Green Hope IS in one direction, and Panther Creek, the other, but neither HS is any great distance from the other. It would be a hardship for a parent driving between the two, what with all that kids want to do, and be involved with, in HS.

I solved some of the driving issues, by giving gas money to others who drove and would be willing to give my daughter rides to and from events, practices, classes, when I couldn't. And I tried to return such favors.

Generally, when a NEW HS opens, it may only have 9th and 10th graders, and unfortunately, 9th and 10th graders will be moved from one school to another. Depending upon just how critical space, personnel, and other issues might be, 11th graders will be allowed to stay at the current HS so they can finish-out their SR year. Unless all 11th graders are being moved, too, the new HS really cannot accommodate the 11th graders, curriculum-wise.

In the case of opening a new HS, a school system will generally try to make it as easy a transition as possible.

On a lighter note, you should TRY being a teacher, or other personnel, at a new school. Some of the poor kids come, kicking and screaming the whole way.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
I apologize. I think I over-simplified the dilemma of having two kids at two different schools. I can well imagine the scheduling nightmare for parents who have to be at two events at the same time, or for siblings who want to support one another at sports or cultural events, or whatever.

At least, the dilemma won't be forever, Pollyanna says.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
nla

10 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post

I will move to an established neighborhood in Cary, NC where the school assignments have not changed for more than five years. Future re-assignments are unlikely since this part of town is mostly built-out and the residents cover the socio-economic spectrum.

I am not suggesting that a resale home in an older part of town with a diverse population is the right choice for everyone moving to Cary. Still, it is an option that was ignored by the poll.
You must be kidding, no such thing.
Example: http://www.keeplocalschools.org/movinghere.pdf (broken link)

Regardless the growth and planning fiasco (where seems they don't listen and don't care). From my experience with the schools and wake county schools personnel, they are doing great job and making sure no one left behind. Also, any school in Cary will be good school.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:03 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
DO high schools get re assigned?

When a new high school is built, doesn't Wake County just take the 9th graders? This is how I have always understood it to be.

When I search for my clients...I always see the comments that 10-12th graders go to XXX high school but upcoming 9th graders go to the new XXX high school.

Has anyone had something different happen to them?

Vicki
It is my understanding when a new high school opens, the first year it will have grades 9 and 10. The next year it will have 9, 10 and 11. Finally, 9,10,11 and 12. Obviously, some of these kids are being pulled from other schools.

A few years ago, wasn't there a *big stink * when some kids were moved either in or out of Millbrook and/or Wakefield?? Parents were very unhappy b/c their rising 10th graders were being reassigned and we not grandfathered in.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post

This can also work in North Raleigh too.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
"3 years"??? Ha! In the 30 years that I've lived here, we've always complained about the overcrowded schools and the overcrowded roads! Why stop now???

Vicki

I went to Douglas Elementary in Raleigh- it had trailers

Carrolll MIddle- trailers

Sanderson AND Millbrook...trailers

Graduated in 96.

Overcrowding and redistricting is NOT a NEW issue. Please stop acting like this is the first generation to experience it!

Franklin county is currently planning out redistricting for the upcoming school year. The last time they did it was maybe 4 years ago (not sure, but sounds about right) Am I complaining- NO! there are MORE people here! It makes SENSE!

ughhh

the horse has been dead for a long time now, folks. You can stop beating it, cause it 'aint goin nowhere!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I went to Douglas Elementary in Raleigh- it had trailers

Carrolll MIddle- trailers

Sanderson AND Millbrook...trailers

Graduated in 96.

Overcrowding and redistricting is NOT a NEW issue. Please stop acting like this is the first generation to experience it!

Franklin county is currently planning out redistricting for the upcoming school year. The last time they did it was maybe 4 years ago (not sure, but sounds about right) Am I complaining- NO! there are MORE people here! It makes SENSE!

ughhh

the horse has been dead for a long time now, folks. You can stop beating it, cause it 'aint goin nowhere!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary