Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My Kids will be reassigned from one school to another almost every year in beautiful Cary, NC
Stability in my kids education is paramount to me, I will never move here 28 32.94%
I don't care about stability in my kids education, I will move here for the weather 11 12.94%
I can afford to put all my kids in private school so school reassignment is not an issue for me, I will move here 13 15.29%
These issues have made me think twice about moving to Cary NC. I am unsure of moving to Cary NC. 35 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
That's ironic and humorous for me because one of the main reasons given for not installing air conditioning in our town's recent $60 million high school/elementary school renovation is that the schools are not in use during the summer. So all that computer equipment swelters and the library books are exposed to high humidity and mold probably thrives as well. And though we don't have YR school here, many camps and other summer programs DO use the school buildings.

And I'm pointing the finger of criticism here at our school district, NOT the YR program of Wake County.
It's a bit warmer down here in the summer, if you didn't know.

And I know it gets warm in Massachusetts in the summer, but in the 100+ years of public education in Massachusetts I haven't heard of widespread problems with library books and mold because of a lack of pervasive air conditioning throughout buildings. Easier and cheaper to just put A/C in the library, if need be. Nor have I heard of such problems with computers; my own computer and large TV did just fine without air conditioning last summer (too lazy to install the mammoth window units in the rooms where the computer and TV resided).

There were camps run in some of the school buildings where I lived as well, and they used window units if needed, and all was well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc4us View Post
Saturn,
Didn't you relocate to the area?

Should I stay in NY unemployed or follow my job to the triangle?

When I move into town will I be less welcomed than you?

Should I have less of a voice than you?

I am new to this post and sad to say that I feel there some who do not welcome us newcomers to the area.
Yea, yea, stay out you interlopers!

- geoff (native since June 2008)

Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
All the YR schools in Durham have waiting lists and it's tough to get into if you move into the district mid-year or if your child is beyond Kindergarten for elementary and beyond 6th grade for middle.
I don't know how it works in Durham but in Wake County it used to be that many people tried to get into YR..this was back when they were magnet schools. Now that they are Mandatory you still have some people who are denied (as far as I know there are no waiting list...you are either accepted or denied and if you are denied you re-apply next year if you so desire). The reason that people are denied though is not due to lack of space it's due to the fact that they people applying are the wrong demographic. The Diversity policy trumps everything else. The current administration would rather a school run at 50% capactiy than for it to have the "wrong" F&R ratio. So just because people are turned away don't mistake that for thinking that there are more people that want YR than there are spots...they just make too much or too little to fit into the socioeconimic experiment.

I think that some people may think that I'm all agains MYR but I'm against it for my family and I'm against it as a forced policy. I think all families should have a right to choose what's best for their families, their children and their lives.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 19,992 times
Default things have changed

This thread is much less important now as due to the economy, people are not moving to Wake county as much; they can't sell their houses up north! I'm going on 4 years here and have 3 kids in the system, all 4 grades apart. I have not had any issues with the schools at all.

C'mon folks, if you don't want to see schools open, close or change ever, just make sure you are in a stable population area. It's that simple. The town I grew up in during the 60's had growth, opened a second high school to accomodate the extra kids, and today the second high school is a middle school. Things change!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 15,151 times
We are checking out the NC area from Winston-Salem to Greenville and everything in between. I have homeschooled & am currently in a great charter school in MI. Financially, private schools could work, however, we have six kids and that is a lot of money. What I have read really concerns me. Quality,safety & convenience in education are ALL important. Cary was rated a great place to live for families- was the article in the magazine wrong? What about the other areas mentioned above?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
PLEASE....don't base your decision to move to any area based on how it was ranked in a magazine!!

(btw....this is a reality check for the many people on this forum who claim that there aren't people who really find out about Cary or the triangle from those magazine articles)

Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 AM

I didn't say I was moving to the area based upon a magazine article. We are moving for a variety of reasons: career, weather, and colleges. We are looking at a number of areas: Winston-Salem through Greenville. That's just for starters. We have a few other states in mind. So, PLEASE...I don't need attitude. I came across an article and read it. What I am looking for is honest and friendly information. It may not be positive, and that is OK. I thank anyone who takes the time to reply.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBofMI View Post
We are checking out the NC area from Winston-Salem to Greenville and everything in between. I have homeschooled & am currently in a great charter school in MI. Financially, private schools could work, however, we have six kids and that is a lot of money. What I have read really concerns me. Quality,safety & convenience in education are ALL important. Cary was rated a great place to live for families- was the article in the magazine wrong? What about the other areas mentioned above?
The article is correct. There are other towns and cities in the triangle area that are great too. Come on down for a visit sometime.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBofMI View Post
I didn't say I was moving to the area based upon a magazine article. We are moving for a variety of reasons: career, weather, and colleges. We are looking at a number of areas: Winston-Salem through Greenville. That's just for starters. We have a few other states in mind. So, PLEASE...I don't need attitude. I came across an article and read it. What I am looking for is honest and friendly information. It may not be positive, and that is OK. I thank anyone who takes the time to reply.
oh...i'm not trying to give you attitude at all. It was more of a "caution" not "you are stupid for this". Sorry if that's how I came off.

Cary is nice....but articles in magazines parading about how great a town is usually use a lot of "fluff" so you shouldn't rely on them too much.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

I admit I still have a lot of "homework" to do. I am reading "year round" school. Does this apply to some or all? And if not all, what are the percentages. I'm assuming parents choose the "year round" schools and those must have long "breaks". Please inform me. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary