Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My Kids will be reassigned from one school to another almost every year in beautiful Cary, NC
Stability in my kids education is paramount to me, I will never move here 28 32.94%
I don't care about stability in my kids education, I will move here for the weather 11 12.94%
I can afford to put all my kids in private school so school reassignment is not an issue for me, I will move here 13 15.29%
These issues have made me think twice about moving to Cary NC. I am unsure of moving to Cary NC. 35 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times

Advertisements

mommiewrites--Moving out is one answer. Fighting the system is another. Both are valid--I won't cut down anybody who chooses either way. We've considered moving but a)the thought of trying to sell a house in this market scares me and b)we've only been in this house a little under 4 years and I really don't want to go through the hassle of moving again (lol).

So we're staying and I am doing what I can to help bring about real change. I think the place to start is educating citizens and parents on some of the truths and facts behind WCPSS's policies.

When we started in the magnet system I thought it was a WONDERFUL way to help fill underutilized schools in really poor, run down areas. Imagine my surprise when we got to our magnet and found that we couldn't afford to buy a house in the base area. People don't know that many of the magnets are NOT located in lousy areas. They are in some of the most elite, most expensive areas to live in Raleigh.

That's just one of a long list of half-truths that WCPSS spins and people unquestionably believe. I've got to say that I am a die-hard liberal who was one of the biggest supporters of WCPSS's magnet programs and diversity policies until I started really looking into it. I want so much to support these policies because they seem like they would work. But they don't deliver the goods and they harm ALL of us. Low income families, middle class, 'wealthy', etc. I don't believe in getting rid of the diversity policy or magnet programs entirely, but they are not working in their current implementation.

I could go on forever, so check out my blog, Voice for Equity in Wake Education. Just google it and it should come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
I don't understand your post. You say it is NOT growth that is the reason (the data agrees), but as long as we have growth it will happen? Growth is NOT the problem.
Love it when people take only part of a quote!

the rest of that quote was ' Because once the schools are all 'even' new developments shoot up- practically overnight-and the problems begin again. '

I'm going to try and verbalize this the best I can (even us writers fail with words sometimes!)

- Growth (in and of itself) is not the reason for reassignments- we all agree with that ( I think- at least, we all SHOULD agree on that)

- But it is a contributing factor

reason being...

new homes are built (separate debate in its own right). This causes new kids to go to *whatever* school it is..

so you have a school full of kids- getting fuller because of the new homes. MOst ofthese homes are reasonable affluent/upper middle class areas- certainly not FNR homes, in any case.

So the school system (in its infinite wisdom-HA) says well- that school is not 'properly balanced' lets shift them around...

NOw, it MAY have been *balanced* before the new homes due to the *last * redistricting, but now its not, and kids are moved again.

You see the circle? Until we stop building nice new homes, the population of schools will be constantly shifting, because of *politics*.

If (as we SHOULD) have community schools, it would be much less of an issue- regardless of how many new homes are built. Go to school where you live- end of story- new schools built only when the immediate population requires it.

Sadly, that's never been the case here. And its something that anyone who has spent their life here, is accustomed to (doesn't mean we like it, but we are USED to it)

I don't know how much sense that made- I AM on the side of community schools, but it just doesn't happen here. NEver has (for the most part) and *probably* never will....

Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post

That's just one of a long list of half-truths that WCPSS spins and people unquestionably believe. I've got to say that I am a die-hard liberal who was one of the biggest supporters of WCPSS's magnet programs and diversity policies until I started really looking into it. I want so much to support these policies because they seem like they would work. But they don't deliver the goods and they harm ALL of us. Low income families, middle class, 'wealthy', etc. I don't believe in getting rid of the diversity policy or magnet programs entirely, but they are not working in their current implementation.
While no one would ever accuse me of being liberal- I wholeheartedly agree! The policies DON'T work- they never have! Maybe in the 60's? I don't know...? The solution? I don't know? thats the great debate. I would rather see money funneled to lower performing schools, and get some awesome teachers and mentors in them than seeing kids (in all income brackets) sent to a school that is not near by.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
I currently live in a place that has community schools. Each city and town runs their own, and never the twain shall meet, know what I mean?

That has its' own set of challenges, shortcomings, and problems-some legal ones-and it isn't a cure-all. In fact, much of the talk here is how the big cities and surrounding towns DON'T share and won't share schools-it has lead to an amazingly polarizing effect. It is so totally the haves and the have-nots.

This poll, up top of the page ^^^ should have one more option-it should be...I know the issues and have decided that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM

58 posts, read 234,646 times
My husband and I moved to Wake County in October 2007 and one of the main reasons for our move was how we perceived the public school system to be. We promptly moved OUT of Wake County (just shy of 4 months later!) & we are very happy we did!

My advice - RENT first, BUY when everything settles down. If we hadn't rented, we'd still be stuck there.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:11 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molliemei View Post
My husband and I moved to Wake County in October 2007 and one of the main reasons for our move was how we perceived the public school system to be. We promptly moved OUT of Wake County (just shy of 4 months later!) & we are very happy we did!

My advice - RENT first, BUY when everything settles down. If we hadn't rented, we'd still be stuck there.

Just curious. Where did you move?

Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Just curious. Where did you move?

I'll give you one hint..... Charleston Job Market = Awful?

"Out of the frying pan and into the fire" comes to mind.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 03-01-2008 at 08:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,143 times
Default Thanks!

WOW WOW WOW!

I am FLOORED!

First, I am in the process of moving. And guess where I was planning on moving to? CARY! And guess why? Because of its reputation and school system...Thank you so much for providing a different view of facts and opinion.

I would have been SO dissapointed had this happened to my child!

ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
One technique worked for a county in MD hit with school issues by growth.

All residential building permits were suspended except age restricted 55+ communities. Let the schools catch up.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,352 times
How do the developers get the legal permits to keep building and building...and building.... when there are no schools for all the new kids? How does this work? Maybe this is not the thread for this but it seems wacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary