Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times

Advertisements

I have lived in some larger cities in my life. detroit, DC, and memphis to name a couple. I currently live in wilmington, NC. I am sure some of you have been to this area. how does the city of raleigh compare in size to the city of wilmington? I have always considered wilmington more of a town. does raleigh feel much larger than wilmington, or are the population numbers deceptive because of annexing? I know it's going to be much smaller than DC, detroit, and memphis, but does it have different sections that you might have to take a bus to? I feel I can get from one side of wilmington to the other side in 10 minutes by foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Raleigh, North Carolina (NC) (pop. 276,093)

Wilmington, North Carolina (NC) (pop. 75,838)

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

314 posts, read 1,036,750 times
Most similar to Memphis. Much larger than Wilmington but still not the "big city' feel you would get in downtown dc or detroit. Raleigh is a very spread out city. You definately need a car in Raleigh to get anywhere (downtown, glenwood, crabtree, north hills none are walking distance). busing from one side to the other would take an entire day. Public transportation is as good as non existent.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM

oh I know the population, but wilmington is ridiculous with the annexing. I live in the city, but trust me, I am nowhere near the city. they just like my tax dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

memphis is actually pretty big. population wise, it might even be bigger than DC. but you are right, memphis was pretty spread out. it being much larger than wilmington is encouraging. I see raleigh even has a grocery store, which makes it more of a functional downtown than raleigh. I have a car, but would like to be able to walk to the store if I really had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Most similar to Memphis. Much larger than Wilmington but still not the "big city' feel you would get in downtown dc or detroit. Raleigh is a very spread out city. You definately need a car in Raleigh to get anywhere (downtown, glenwood, crabtree, north hills none are walking distance). busing from one side to the other would take an entire day. Public transportation is as good as non existent.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
memphis is actually pretty big. population wise, it might even be bigger than DC. but you are right, memphis was pretty spread out. it being much larger than wilmington is encouraging. I see raleigh even has a grocery store, which makes it more of a functional downtown than raleigh. I have a car, but would like to be able to walk to the store if I really had to.
If you want to walk to things from where you live, you should look at housing between Cameron Village and the Glenwood South area of downtown (about 3/4 mile). Some of the highest 'walk scores' are found in that area. Go to Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods. and put in some addresses. Here's some scores from random addresses in the area. (note...these are not necessarily homes, just addresses)
800 W. Peace Street - 80 of 100
600 Glenwood Ave - 85 of 100
400 N. West Street - 86 of 100
Cameron St - 88 of 100

I agree that Raleigh will feel more like Memphis in scale to the overall metro area. Raleigh, however, is more intellectual and professional than Memphis and will have a populace that is more like DC's and NoVA.

Raleigh is fast approaching 400,000 in city limit population and, while it's still expanding on its edges, it's finally urbanizing some of it's first ring of suburban development and paying a lot of attention to its downtown. I think it's an exciting time to be in Raleigh. Wake County at about 850,000 is rapidly closing the gap on NC's most populous county: Mecklenburg.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 PM

this sounds good. DC really spread out before they decided to spread up. it make traffic horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If you want to walk to things from where you live, you should look at housing between Cameron Village and the Glenwood South area of downtown (about 3/4 mile). Some of the highest 'walk scores' are found in that area. Go to Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods. and put in some addresses. Here's some scores from random addresses in the area. (note...these are not necessarily homes, just addresses)
800 W. Peace Street - 80 of 100
600 Glenwood Ave - 85 of 100
400 N. West Street - 86 of 100
Cameron St - 88 of 100

I agree that Raleigh will feel more like Memphis in scale to the overall metro area. Raleigh, however, is more intellectual and professional than Memphis and will have a populace that is more like DC's and NoVA.

Raleigh is fast approaching 400,000 in city limit population and, while it's still expanding on its edges, it's finally urbanizing some of it's first ring of suburban development and paying a lot of attention to its downtown. I think it's an exciting time to be in Raleigh. Wake County at about 850,000 is rapidly closing the gap on NC's most populous county: Mecklenburg.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this sounds good. DC really spread out before they decided to spread up. it make traffic horrible.
Keep in mind that DC has height restrictions (by law, no building can be taller than the Capitol except the Washington Monument).

I wouldn't think that Raleigh has such a restriction.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
My 'vote' is city for sure. It has all the classic definitions of a city.

1. A center of population, commerce, and culture; a town of significant size and importance. Significant is a relative term, but above posters defined it in numbers and not all were relatives!

2. An incorporated municipality in the United States with definite boundaries and legal powers set forth in a charter granted by the state.

Just happens to be the NC State Capital 'city'. So it has that going for it!

So based on the above my 'vote' is its a city and a very important one to NC state!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Raleigh is not a big city such as Chicago or New York, etc., but it is inideed a decent sized city that has a downtown core, with a beltway/line and it has associated suburbs to fill in the gaps around the city. You're not going to confuse it with Chicago, but it's much closer to say a Pittsburgh than a Wilmington. So YES, Raleigh is a real city and you will notice a difference coming from Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary