Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:33 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,243,234 times

Advertisements

NCFC was always aiming for the 2nd expansion race. Our Stadium isn't shovel-ready yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 4,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
NCFC was always aiming for the 2nd expansion race. Our Stadium isn't shovel-ready yet.
Exactly. Also, MLS will not stop at 28 - will most likely go to 32 eventually. Have to play the long game.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,028,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Seems to me that with 4 finalists and 4 teams available down the road, that those will be the 4 expansion teams?
Nah they would have said that. Very likely that these 4 were the most qualified in the short term. There may have been cities bids that they liked better but werent in as quick a position to be ready for the first two teams. Could be lots of reasons why some of the other cities may be a better option but just not for right now.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:08 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,294,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Seems to me that with 4 finalists and 4 teams available down the road, that those will be the 4 expansion teams?
Maybe, but not necessarily, I guess it all depends on which two they pick first and which two are left for the next round.

Sacramento and Nashville have stadium deals ready to go, Detroit was going to build a new stadium downtown, but now wants to use Ford Field and share it with the Lions, after doing some renovations.

In recent years and with the success of the Seattle Sounds and Atlanta United FC both playing in NFL stadiums, MLS has lessened their stance that every team needs/is required to have a soccer specific only stadium.

I will say this, whoever wants to knock off the remaining two teams after this round of expansion, be it the Triangle or Phoenix or whoever, will have to come up with a pretty amazing plan/deal. And don't forget there is always relocation, which might be happening very soon with the Columbus Crew moving to Austin. If that does happen, I hear Columbus might be added to the group of cities wanting an expansion team, of course that is dependent on stadium financing and building a new venue.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 AM

9,143 posts, read 14,727,212 times
Honestly, MLS would be pretty dumb to pick all 4 expected expansion teams now since they expect it to be a few years before the next 2 are announced. Things can change in that amount of time and for a group so concerned with very specific demographics and freshness, you want that decision to be based on the latest data.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:38 AM

806 posts, read 601,815 times
Not surprised. I read average attendance for NCFC is around 6k. You need another 15,000 fans and complete season sellout if there's going to be an MLS team here.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,250,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe, but not necessarily, I guess it all depends on which two they pick first and which two are left for the next round.

Sacramento and Nashville have stadium deals ready to go, Detroit was going to build a new stadium downtown, but now wants to use Ford Field and share it with the Lions, after doing some renovations.

In recent years and with the success of the Seattle Sounds and Atlanta United FC both playing in NFL stadiums, MLS has lessened their stance that every team needs/is required to have a soccer specific only stadium.
Could the local bid group work something out with one of the college football stadiums? Carter-Finley has the best parking situation, but would an upgrade at the fields in Cary work? Asked by someone who knows nothing about soccer.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,294,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Could the local bid group work something out with one of the college football stadiums? Carter-Finley has the best parking situation, but would an upgrade at the fields in Cary work? Asked by someone who knows nothing about soccer.
That's an interesting thought. Currently Cincinnati, one of the cities that made it to the "Final 4" in the next round of MLS expansion, with two being chosen, have a USL team, FC Cincinnati, that plays in Nippert Stadium.

That stadium is on the University of Cincinnati's campus where the Cincinnati Bearcats play football. The stadium had to be modified to fit a soccer pitch, which the soccer team paid for, but their long term goal is to build a 20,000 soccer specific stadium, if they get an MLS expansion team.

I feel the reason Seattle and Atlanta work in playing in NFL stadiums, is because they obviously have great fan bases that can fill a stadium greater than 20,000 plus both teams are owned, either fully or partially by the NFL owners in their respective cities, so sort of an "all in the family" if you know what I mean.

With that Detroit bid, I heard that the Ford family (owners of the Lions) will have a minority stake in a MLS team, if they get awarded one.

While Carter-Finley could be a great temporary stadium, I feel an MLS team wouldn't want to share with the University or vice versa, plus they would want a stadium that had individual seats and not bleachers.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM

806 posts, read 601,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRCS View Post
Exactly. Also, MLS will not stop at 28 - will most likely go to 32 eventually. Have to play the long game.
29 and 30 are LA and most likely Miami. They already have 4 strong contenders with the fan base they need right now...so that's 32. Garber put Charlotte ahead of Raleigh when he talked about expansion during the MLS All Star game last summer and they are further behind Raleigh in getting a stadium.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM

9,143 posts, read 14,727,212 times
I think they’d just improve the current soccer park instead of going to Carter Finley. At least there will be SOMETHING near it in a few years. Carter Finley is a big never in that department.

But, I’m fairly sure they will stick to Downtown and try to keep pushing their plan for a new stadium as MLS really seems to want to be in downtown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary