Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

With the rash of break-ins in the Five Points neighborhood, my fiancé wants security cameras...anyone have any recommendations locally for someone that sells them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:40 PM

510 posts, read 901,100 times
best buy has some 720p camera systems.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
No idea of the quality, but I've seen the 4 and 8 camera plus DVR systems at BJs club. I imagine Costco or Sams would have them too if you're a member there. Might try Intrex computers also.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:55 AM

307 posts, read 377,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
No idea of the quality, but I've seen the 4 and 8 camera plus DVR systems at BJs club. I imagine Costco or Sams would have them too if you're a member there. Might try Intrex computers also.
Can confirm Costco has a couple different sets.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:02 AM
NDS

58 posts, read 65,409 times
This is more of a DIY suggestion, but I recently picked up some truly wireless (meaning they're battery powered so no cables at all) from Blink Home, and they seem pretty good so far. Also have integration now with SmartThings platform if you want to start setting up Door/window sensors etc as well. I have not field tested any of this stuff (knock on wood) in the sense of recording a break in.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Consider going with either Nest or Blink. Blink is very affordable and insanely easy to use (other than the base they are completely wireless). Nest offers better cameras and the option of online video retention, but they are wired and a bit more expensive.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I have a SmartCam from Costco, and a DropCam from Lowes...both around $100 a piece or less.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:11 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
This $40 solution works great: no monthly fees!

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wirele.../dp/B004P8K24W

The Day & Night Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-932L) is a video surveillance solution for your home or small office. The DCS-932L is a standalone surveillance camera that requires no special hardware or software, and can run independently even without a PC and it even includes sound & motion detection. Send e-mail notifications with snapshots whenever sound or motion is detected using just the DCS-932L and an Internet connection. You can even customize areas and volumes to monitor for motion or loud noises - helping you keep watch over entryways or sensitive areas of a room. Night time monitoring is possible with the built-in infrared LEDs which allow for night time viewing of up to 16 feet, enabling round-the-clock monitoring of a home or small office.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
With wireless cameras being as inexpensive as they are now, everyone should have them.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
This is more of a DIY suggestion, but I recently picked up some truly wireless (meaning they're battery powered so no cables at all) from Blink Home, and they seem pretty good so far. Also have integration now with SmartThings platform if you want to start setting up Door/window sensors etc as well. I have not field tested any of this stuff (knock on wood) in the sense of recording a break in.
+1 for mentioning SmartThings integration. I've been building up lighting automation and such at a place I own elsewhere and SmartThings seems to be a very robust platform. Plays well with Nest products, Phillips Hue, Amazon Echo, Schlage and a boat load of other components. Samsung (SmartThings lead dog as it were) has also been working hard to issue regular software updates to knock bugs out and integrate more products into the ecosystem.

Might be worth considering using a camera product where you can leverage some of that horsepower should you decide later to get into doing some smart home products or installation.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary