Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:46 PM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,340,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep all those grills going, seems like a really silly idea logistically to have like 20 grills fired up and trying to manage food on all of them.
Kamado grills are really efficient in their use of charcoal. I can cook for 18 hours on mine at a low-and-slow temperature of 225 degrees, and for 6-7 hours at 350-375 degrees. Higher temperatures for searing steaks, etc., will burn through charcoal a lot faster, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,690,187 times
I thought most of their food was good, if not excellent. Their prices were not terrible, either.

The iPads are following a trend that you'll find increasing as time goes by. Honestly, I would rather pay at the table than have a server I don't know take my credit card away for processing. Just too many opportunities for fraud.

I could have guessed they were in a bit of trouble when they cancelled their lunch service.

I hope they can recover. Sounds like they need a better manager who is more adept in managing their finances, however.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 AM

6,817 posts, read 9,023,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
That Tilted Kilt location seems to be cursed. Many restaurants have come and gone from that corner over the years.
I think with Hooters down the street, Tilted Kilt didn't compete very well. You had Carolina Ale House in the middle for people who wanted food without the skimpy clothing.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 AM

4,256 posts, read 4,684,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The iPads are following a trend that you'll find increasing as time goes by.
Some McDonalds in Europe have converted to placing your order at a kiosk near the front door and paying for it at the kiosk. When the order is ready you pick up your tray or takeout bag at the counter. I suspect most fast food restaurants in the U.S. will be that way within 10 years.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:09 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,493,099 times
We went to Tilted Kilt one time. I have no idea what I ate. Actually kind of embarrassing.
Not really the area for an alternative to Hooters, eh?

Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,561,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Some McDonalds in Europe have converted to placing your order at a kiosk near the front door and paying for it at the kiosk. When the order is ready you pick up your tray or takeout bag at the counter. I suspect most fast food restaurants in the U.S. will be that way within 10 years.
I would expect that for fast food but for higher-end dining options, you would expect some level of service (in addition to the iPad ordering).

Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
We went to Tilted Kilt one time. I have no idea what I ate. Actually kind of embarrassing.
Not really the area for an alternative to Hooters, eh?
It's tempting to try Hooters since it's so close, but not sure what my coworkers would think if they saw me leaving.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,239,666 times
A few thoughts about Kamado:

1. It's abig space. Meaning big $$$ up front to upfit the space and they needed a lot of customers to cover those expenses.

2. iPad ordering kind of reminds me apof airport dining (see iPads there all the time). Not really sure how that added to the experience at Kamado.

3. The Name: it doesn't really indicate the cuisine. Most people I mention the restaurant to assume it is a Japanese steak house.

I'd like to see them make it, but it is going to be a challenge with that debt. Hopefully the space will see success in the future.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Would it make a difference if they opened for lunch during the week, hmm? Or does that concept not work with people who only have 60 or 90 minutes for lunch? I took a look at their menu, but I wasn't that interested. I just felt, meh.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:45 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
I've been there several times. The food was great when they first opened but was hit or miss after. Ipad ordering didn't bother me. Service was fine, wait times fine, food was good most of the time. The inside of the restaurant is one of the nicest I've ever seen. I also own a kamado style grill which I enjoy a lot. I really hope they can get their stuff together and pull through. It's a really cool concept and they did have good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary