Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:15 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Do they care if you're there "long term"
Panera's a good choice but between about 11AM and 2PM they're really packed with people standing around holding food waiting for tables to open up. If you're taking up a table just to use your computer I suspect you'll make enemies of the employees pretty fast. Outside the lunch rush it would work, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 12:12 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
They don't seem to mind...at least in my experience. I have also worked from pubs and ordered a pint or two while doing so. Not sure what your field of work is or what hours you plan to work until but may be a good late afternoon option. Compass Rose in N Raleigh is a great place to do that as well as LBC. Ponysaurus in Durham can also work. I used all of those a lot in my previous job as a change of scenery when I knew I'd be working late.

Libraries are good bets. Also parks can be nice if the weather is.Truth be told though my favorite place to work from is my couch with a tv show on in the background.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Whole Foods can get pretty noisy. And I think their wifi bumps you after an hour or so as well.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:37 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Library is your best bet, if you know when you need to make a conference call book one of the small rooms. I used one last year when studying for a test, it was no problem to walk in and ask for one at West Regional.

I cannot stand when I am at Panera and some schmo is taking up a table that they've been nursing a re-fillable soda at for hours while people who actually paid for several meals are waiting for a table. McDonald's is a much better choice since there are rarely people waiting around for a table. It makes me crazy that Panera lets this happen.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
The various libraries do have rooms for rent, but according to the Meeting/Study Room policy they frown upon using them for "commercial" use. Also, the small study rooms are limited to an hour at a time.

Wake County Public Library Conference Room Policy

You may want to try something like LiquidSpace.

https://liquidspace.com/us/nc/cary

They have small, private office space starting at $10 an hour.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Maybe I'm weird, but when I was able to work remotely, one of the joys was being able to stay at home and work in my jammies. I don't get the whole thing of leaving the house to work alone in some public place.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe I'm weird, but when I was able to work remotely, one of the joys was being able to stay at home and work in my jammies. I don't get the whole thing of leaving the house to work alone in some public place.
I'd prefer to be home - but I have young kids. They're home every so often and it is pure and utter chaos. That's putting it nicely.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 AM

187 posts, read 345,201 times
I've worked from home for years. Usually, I'm perfectly happy and productive from my home office, but it can be isolating especially when you live alone. Sometimes it's just nice to get out in the world...even if it's to work.

Sometimes, I even have co-workers/friends who also work remotely come over to work or I go to their home. It's just enough to be "social" but not distracting.

I also like the locally owned coffee shops like Sola in N Raleigh (lots of options besides coffee) and the public libraries.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:32 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I cannot stand when I am at Panera and some schmo is taking up a table that they've been nursing a re-fillable soda at for hours while people who actually paid for several meals are waiting for a table.
I was trying to be a bit more subtle about it... but yeah what Twingles said. Especially when someone is taking up a whole 4 person table while I'm corralling my kids and balancing my food on a tray. Makes me want to dump my soup on their laptop.

After about 1:30 in the afternoon it's a great place to work, but during the lunch rush don't be "that guy."

Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I've also thrown around the idea of starting some sort of office "co-op", where you rent a small office (or sublease), get a bunch of people together to pay a monthly fee to cover rent, utilities, internet, etc, and the days get divvied up among the members.

Sort of like co-working, but without so many people, and without the social and networking aspect. Rent an office for $500/mo, get five people to contribute $150/mo, and everyone gets one day a week or something like that. Less expensive than co-working, and you get your own space.

Edit: Eh I guess it's not cheaper than some co-working http://www.caryinnovationcenter.com/rates/

Last edited by m378; 12-28-2016 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary