U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM

9,074 posts, read 18,640,673 times

Advertisements

I just checked the City of Raleigh website again and it now says that they are SOLD OUT of the Pickle Barrel type rain barrels.

Sorry... I knew they wouldn't last long but I thought they would have enough to at least be in stock for more than three hours!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up Update on the rain barrel project

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I noticed on the city website (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Garbage_and_Recycling/Cat-2CA-20071015-151721-Rain_Barrels_For_Sale.html - broken link) this morning that they were getting a limited delivery today (Thursday). Showed up first thing 7:30am and got my black pickle barrel rain barrel for $42.70 (They use to be $37, but the price has increased by $5 ~ I think becasue of gas/delivery costs). Not sure how many are left. I picked up two extra barrels for my two neighbors who both desperately want one as well. We are all too cheap to pay $100!

The Barrel Pick-up Location is:
400 West Peace Street
Raleigh, NC 27603

You can call 831-6890 to see if they have any in stock!

Looking forward to getting it hooked up this weekend so I can start collecting liquid gold!
Here are a few pictures of how I set up the Rain Barrel I got from the City of Raleigh last week:

60-Gallon Pickel Barrel with spigot and overflow connector

View of top of the barrel with the screen installed

The barrel stand I built using eight landscape pavers and a bag of pea gravel

Modified downspout with new flexible elbow positioned to drain into the rain barrel

The completed set-up (I painted the rain barrel using 3 cans of Krylon Fusion satin burgandy spray paint)

Now I just need it to rain tomorrow evening ........

Old 03-19-2008, 08:10 AM

144 posts, read 346,305 times
Default Setup questions...

So a couple of questions,
1. Do you have the barrel setup in every down sprout?. Black barrels around the house all over?.
2. How do you manage when there is heavy rain. Meaning when the barrel (or barrels) overflows?. Do you have them setup in such a way that the overflow from one barrel would go to another one etc. Or if one barrel is full then you physically move it to set another barrel in.
3. How do you get water out of it?. Do you put tubing in it so you can water like with normal hose or you have to get it in watering can and painfully pour one plant at a time?

I dont even have a house in raleigh but this thought intrigues me. This is the very first thing I am going to setup as soon as I buy the house.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM

1. Do you have the barrel setup in every down sprout?. Black barrels around the house all over?.

No, I only have one rain barrel. My downspouts are exposed (I don't have a fence) so I painted my barrel to match the style of my house so it would be more of an accent than an eye sore to the landscape.

2. How do you manage when there is heavy rain. Meaning when the barrel (or barrels) overflows?. Do you have them setup in such a way that the overflow from one barrel would go to another one etc. Or if one barrel is full then you physically move it to set another barrel in.

Barrels can be hooked together in a "Daisy Chain" but since I only have one that isn't an option. If you notice in the first picture I posted there is a spigot on the bottom and an overflow valve on the top. You can hook a hose to the overflow valve so it carries water away from the house once the barrel is full yet it keeps raining.

3. How do you get water out of it?. Do you put tubing in it so you can water like with normal hose or you have to get it in watering can and painfully pour one plant at a time?

Mos people elevate their barrels on cynder blocks to gravity feed the water out. You can then fit a watering can underneath the spigot to fill it up. With the barrel elevated you do creat enough pressure that you can hook a garden hose and it will flow out of the end of the hose up to several feet away. I wouln't spray persay but it will flow out and you can water your plants that way.

Some people even hook up "soaker hoses" to the spigot and let the barrel slowley drain through a soaker hose placed in their nearby flower bed.

There are lot of different ways to drain the barrel.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 19,137 times
Hey all,
There was a woman the the NC Flea Market back in last November, early December who sold rainbarrels. She was charging $75 a piece and had free delivery then. I tried looking in my emails for her name, but am striking out. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll look for her business card.

She told me that her son saw one that a neighbor bought and thought they could make them better/cheaper. Their barrels look just like the ones pictures in black and are well made. I bought one for my sister in law for Christmas! lol

Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM

401 posts, read 1,088,278 times
Page Road Garden Center also has rain barrels for sale. I think the price is around $80 ready to go.
They are located on Page Rd. (go figure) at the dead end of Globe Rd. (what Briar Creek Pkwy. turns into). Phone number is 806-5635.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:18 PM

132 posts, read 306,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

No, I only have one rain barrel. My downspouts are exposed (I don't have a fence) so I painted my barrel to match the style of my house so it would be more of an accent than an eye sore to the landscape.

Barrels can be hooked together in a "Daisy Chain" but since I only have one that isn't an option. If you notice in the first picture I posted there is a spigot on the bottom and an overflow valve on the top. You can hook a hose to the overflow valve so it carries water away from the house once the barrel is full yet it keeps raining.

Mos people elevate their barrels on cynder blocks to gravity feed the water out. You can then fit a watering can underneath the spigot to fill it up. With the barrel elevated you do creat enough pressure that you can hook a garden hose and it will flow out of the end of the hose up to several feet away. I wouln't spray persay but it will flow out and you can water your plants that way.

Some people even hook up "soaker hoses" to the spigot and let the barrel slowley drain through a soaker hose placed in their nearby flower bed.

There are lot of different ways to drain the barrel.

North_Raleigh_Guy - what a great piece of info ? We will definitely plan for this when we get our house here. Thanks for all the info and pics.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 PM

413 posts, read 826,267 times
I've seen rain barrells for sale at our Farmers Market in the past. Can't recall how much, but will look next time I go. I think, considering the drought and the renewed interest in conservation, that we will only see rain barrels increase in cost due to popularity and demand.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Looks like the popularity of rain barrels has subsided (at least for now)

newsobserver.com | Sales of rain barrels slow to a dribble (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1035395.html - broken link)

I'm still so very glad to have mine. It feels great using water I captured to use to water my plants whenever and as often as I want. I'm amazed at how much I can do with my 60-gallon barrel. I used a bunch last week and was pleasantly surprised to find the barrel full once again today upon my return from my trip down to Charlotte.

Simply Awesome!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 19,240 times
If anyone can find anyone selling arrels in the Durham area at a good price (below $100), please do share.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary