Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

I stopped by the City of Raleigh Waste Services office and learned they will not have any more of the $37 Pickel Barrel type rain barrels until sometime in mid-march!

I contacted the organizers of the Johsnton County Rain Barrel workshop where you make your own rain barrel for $35 but the workshop is already booked and they have a wait list for the next workshop which hasn't even been scheduled yet!

I don't feel like paying $99 a barrel. Anybody know of a reliable source to et a rain barrel for $40-$50? I have seen some of the ads listed on craig's list but most are either just as expensive as the stores ($80-$90) or the add seems kinda sketchy (I don't want to use a barrel that previously held paint or other toxic junk!)

Rain Barrel in Action!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
Default rain barrels

I also find it amazing that a piece of plastic is so expensive. I have looked elsewhere and no luck. It is what it is and you get what you pay for.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I stopped by the City of Raleigh Waste Services office and learned they will not have any more of the $37 Pickel Barrel type rain barrels until sometime in mid-march!

I contacted the organizers of the Johsnton County Rain Barrel workshop where you make your own rain barrel for $35 but the workshop is already booked and they have a wait list for the next workshop which hasn't even been scheduled yet!

I don't feel like paying $99 a barrel. Anybody know of a reliable source to et a rain barrel for $40-$50? I have seen some of the ads listed on craig's list but most are either just as expensive as the stores ($80-$90) or the add seems kinda sketchy (I don't want to use a barrel that previously held paint or other toxic junk!)

Rain Barrel in Action!
That one looks light enough. Let me know where it is and you can buy it from me for $40

Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
NRG I saw some for sale at the ACE hardware on Alexander Drive (RTP) yesterday - same strip mall as Food Lion. I don't know the price though - but it's the same rain barrel in your photo (I think).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Default Can't quote a price

I saw some at Dickerson's (a nursery) on my jaunt over to the endodontist's office in Chapel Hill.

Maybe a phone call could rule Dickerson's price in or out, as well as availability, for you.

Good luck, NRG. My husband is currently doing some research to see if he can't install some sort of tank in the backyard, that would be along the same principle of a rain barrel, but underground and larger? I think he's going to perhaps find it is cost prohibitive. I was intrigued by some of the water systems we ran across during this past year's Parade of Homes.

Sorry. . . don't mean to hijack your thread, as they call it.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
I also don't want to pay close to $100 for a rain barrel. The sell them at Whole Foods for close to that. And the town of Holly Springs sells them for about $10 less than that. So, the price from the town didn't seem much better than a store. Still waiting for the 50% off sale on rain barrels

Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
This week on Apartment Therapy (2/25) they posted a rain barrel tutorial. They said the tools cost them $30 & it took them one hour to put it together.

Apartment Therapy San Francisco | How To: Make a Rainwater Collection Barrel

Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
This week on Apartment Therapy (2/25) they posted a rain barrel tutorial. They said the tools cost them $30 & it took them one hour to put it together.

Apartment Therapy San Francisco | How To: Make a Rainwater Collection Barrel
I guess the lazy people that don't want to make one have to pay full price

Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM

21 posts, read 74,976 times
The rain barrels at ACE are $69.00.
Another option for saving water is a dual flush toilet retrofit kit that is offered by K&B Direct in Garner for about $50.00. Works on existing 1.6 gpf toilets. Call 919-329-9741

Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM

49 posts, read 152,107 times
We bought ours from a vendor working in the parking lot of Logans Nursery in Raleigh. I'm not sure how often they go to Logans to sell the barrells or how much they are asking these days. You might want to call Logans and ask who the vendor was and how to contact them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary