Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Advertisements

It looks like I'll finally get to fly from RDU to Europe without going through IAD! I'm heading to Hungary and Slovakia for a bike tour at the end of August and the tour company booked me on this flight both ways. Only four flights round trip compared vs. seven for my trip to Croatia (four flights coming home was grueling). The tour prices include airfare so I don't get a lot of choice on routing. I feel like I won the lottery this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
It looks like I'll finally get to fly from RDU to Europe without going through IAD! I'm heading to Hungary and Slovakia for a bike tour at the end of August and the tour company booked me on this flight both ways. Only four flights round trip compared vs. seven for my trip to Croatia (four flights coming home was grueling). The tour prices include airfare so I don't get a lot of choice on routing. I feel like I won the lottery this time.
Good for you! I think one of the hardest things about moving to a smaller metro area like Raleigh is the lesser availability of flights. We got so spoiled living in DC. There are nonstop flights almost everywhere! For someone who is a fearful flyer, that makes a huge difference. Sounds like an exciting trip!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Good for you! I think one of the hardest things about moving to a smaller metro area like Raleigh is the lesser availability of flights. We got so spoiled living in DC. There are nonstop flights almost everywhere! For someone who is a fearful flyer, that makes a huge difference. Sounds like an exciting trip!
Yeah, I used to live not even 15 minutes from Dulles so I definitely got spoiled. Frankly I was a little surprised I got the RDU-CDG flights, but I think Vienna/Budapest aren't expensive locations to fly to so that worked in my favor. For the Croatia trip I had to fly to Split, which is a much smaller city.

Sorry to hear you are a fearful flyer, my stepmother is the same way. I don't mind it, although I don't usually travel more than once or twice a year.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:07 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Yeah, I used to live not even 15 minutes from Dulles so I definitely got spoiled. Frankly I was a little surprised I got the RDU-CDG flights, but I think Vienna/Budapest aren't expensive locations to fly to so that worked in my favor. For the Croatia trip I had to fly to Split, which is a much smaller city.

Sorry to hear you are a fearful flyer, my stepmother is the same way. I don't mind it, although I don't usually travel more than once or twice a year.
Being a fearful flyer sucks! Especially since I love to travel! When we went to China, it was before there was a direct flight from DC. So we drove up to Newark, NJ so I could fly direct. I didn't want to take that extra flight from IAD to EWR for fear I wouldn't get on the second one!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Being a fearful flyer sucks! Especially since I love to travel! When we went to China, it was before there was a direct flight from DC. So we drove up to Newark, NJ so I could fly direct. I didn't want to take that extra flight from IAD to EWR for fear I wouldn't get on the second one!
Oh wow, that's really rough. i think my stepmother has gotten better over time, so maybe you will too. I know they used to drive from NY to FL because she didn't want to fly at all, but now they fly down every year.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
RDU-China nonstops are difficult. RDU-Beijing is right at the maximum range for a 787-8. RDU-Shanghai cannot be done with a 787-8. Larger aircraft with more range could be used, but then the question is selling a high percentage of the seats.

Also the existing 10,000-foot runway at RDU might not be long enough for a nonstop to China if the departure is on a summer afternoon. Apparently RDUAA intends to replace 5L/23R with an 11,500-foot runway just for that reason. But a new runway will take years to build.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:06 AM

I'll be on the Thursday 5:45pm flight to CDG. The plane is a 767-300 and looks to be pretty full. I've been so busy at work for the past 3 months that I'm actually looking forward to the 8 hour flight. I'll be in the Paris airport for a few hours, then after a flight to Vienna and an hour ride, I'll be in Bratislava Friday afternoon. So excited!

Hoping to report very positive experiences with the RDU-CDG flight!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
I'll be on the Thursday 5:45pm flight to CDG. The plane is a 767-300 and looks to be pretty full. I've been so busy at work for the past 3 months that I'm actually looking forward to the 8 hour flight. I'll be in the Paris airport for a few hours, then after a flight to Vienna and an hour ride, I'll be in Bratislava Friday afternoon. So excited!

Hoping to report very positive experiences with the RDU-CDG flight!
I'll be 24 hours behind you

Old 08-26-2018, 11:53 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Any suggestions for the best way to fly from RDU to Tokyo? Not expecting non-stop, that would be too much to ask. DFW, MSP, ATL, EWR, SFO, ORD, etc. may be likely connection alternatives.

Have not done this flight before, and before anyone flames me, Kayak, etc. and the like are both new to me and for weeks have coming up with $2k options for the coming weeks. I used similar regional sites like Kayak when overseas but often went to the ANA, UAL, NWA, DAL, SQ sites for purchase, but some of these are better than others and there must be other alternatives. Those are most of the airlines I'd consider.

Asking here because of the mention of China flights.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Thank God I am no longer flying, but used to go over from either ORD or SFO.

I suggest checking out the plane, and configuration, as a priority.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary