Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
So, the covenant was set up to sucker in users by a low introductory rate, then bend them over with planned increases every year.

This is how we treat our citizens when making contracts?

Protect is from our rotten legislators.
I would think CapitalBlvd would like toll roads since it controls growth along the road since people would have to pay to utilize the highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post

After the 2010 census, the General Assembly became a bit more accommodating of metros and it should get even more accommodating after 2020.
What's your thought process here?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 AM

86 posts, read 123,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
What's your thought process here?
I heard a long time ago that the NCGA had adopted an 'Equity Formula' that spread out the Highway Fund to all the counties somewhat equally. The law was in effect until the 2010 Census where it was changed back to a system that divvied up the funds by population and expected growth.

I don't know what the 'official' rule is now, but I'm sure it's going to keep going in that direction. FWIW - I do a lot of work for the State and it certainly seems that the major metro areas are the ones with the money to spend.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 AM

812 posts, read 832,043 times
I think of it as a "new house-sprawl" tax. All I know.....too rich for our blood.

$2.75/trip x 2 (round trip) x 5 days (work week) x 44 weeks/year (off 8 weeks for holidays, PTO, work from home, etc) = $1210/year.

It seems many people say "meh" to this cost but to us it is a chunk of change. Twelve hundred bucks is a nice vacation, home improvement project or property tax installment; and, unlike the toll, these things add value to our lives in the form of fun experiences, home equity or city services respectively.

The real kicker is that the wife and I might well have to use the toll road separately most of the year so the $1200/year commuting cost could easily about double for us. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.... $2400/year x 5 years = $12,000.....that is "real money".... maybe a nice down payment on a new/newer car.

And again, that toll fee is money down the drain......I don't think I'm getting anything in return... other than the "joy" of having a 35 minute commute vs a 45-50 minute commute. Just not worth it when there are still many decent affordable options closer in that still allow for a much shorter (10-20 min) and free commute. Now, if those houses in Cary were 500K for 1000sqft tear down, like they are in some metros, then I might put more value in the toll.

Obviously, judging by the increase in 540 traffic and the growing pains of HS and FV, many people DO find the time/value/money cost worth it to have a slightly newer-larger (though maybe smaller lot) house than they might be able to have closer in (Cary or Apex).

Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
I think of it as a "new house-sprawl" tax. All I know.....too rich for our blood.

$2.75/trip x 2 (round trip) x 5 days (work week) x 44 weeks/year (off 8 weeks for holidays, PTO, work from home, etc) = $1210/year.

It seems many people say "meh" to this cost but to us it is a chunk of change. Twelve hundred bucks is a nice vacation, home improvement project or property tax installment; and, unlike the toll, these things add value to our lives in the form of fun experiences, home equity or city services respectively.

The real kicker is that the wife and I might well have to use the toll road separately most of the year so the $1200/year commuting cost could easily about double for us. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.... $2400/year x 5 years = $12,000.....that is "real money".... maybe a nice down payment on a new/newer car.

And again, that toll fee is money down the drain......I don't think I'm getting anything in return... other than the "joy" of having a 35 minute commute vs a 45-50 minute commute. Just not worth it when there are still many decent affordable options closer in that still allow for a much shorter (10-20 min) and free commute. Now, if those houses in Cary were 500K for 1000sqft tear down, like they are in some metros, then I might put more value in the toll.

Obviously, judging by the increase in 540 traffic and the growing pains of HS and FV, many people DO find the time/value/money cost worth it to have a slightly newer-larger (though maybe smaller lot) house than they might be able to have closer in (Cary or Apex).
I bet a lot of people look at it like "oh, it's just a couple bucks, I spend that on coffee". But you're right, it adds up quick. A lot of people probably barely take it into consideration when it comes to their housing budget. $100 bucks a month on a 30 year mortgage is a good amount.

Gotta have that granite and stainless though!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I would think CapitalBlvd would like toll roads since it controls growth along the road since people would have to pay to utilize the highway
No, not building roads can choke off stupidly long commutes and discourage more transplants and bribed employers from relocating to NC.

Rail, not roads, is the only lasting answer.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 AM

812 posts, read 832,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I bet a lot of people look at it like "oh, it's just a couple bucks, I spend that on coffee". But you're right, it adds up quick. A lot of people probably barely take it into consideration when it comes to their housing budget. $100 bucks a month on a 30 year mortgage is a good amount.

Gotta have that granite and stainless though!

True, I guess to the people living in the McMansions of 12 Oaks or Woodcreek the toll is "chump change".

The funny thing is, you can find affordable sfh closer in (10-20 minute toll-free RTP commute; 10-20 minute toll-free DT Raleigh commute) and still have touches like the granite and stainless appliances... we do Our house is under 3000sqft though. Maybe it's the "small town feel"... LOL (that ship sailed long ago for HS and FV).

Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
No, not building roads can choke off stupidly long commutes and discourage more transplants and bribed employers from relocating to NC.

Rail, not roads, is the only lasting answer.
So the answer is pay for a rail system that we already can't afford (don't think that recently passed bond will do much of anything rail wise), by not growing our population and insuring more companies don't relocate here? Do I understand you on that?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:44 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post

Just do what my co-worker did. He bought one of those license plate signs that hides his plate from the camera off eBay.

Nope not joking. Guy makes $150k/yr and is too cheap to pay a toll once a week.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:47 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I think we see it the same way. 540 across North Raleigh took forever. But the back room deals accelerated the western arc of 540 by at least 5 years and possibly 10. Of course we will never know exactly when the western arc of 540 would have been built without tolls.

After the 2010 census, the General Assembly became a bit more accommodating of metros and it should get even more accommodating after 2020.
Since the republicans took control of the General Assembly in 2010, they have virtually declared war on NC's metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary