Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times

Advertisements

N&O is not worth paying for. Hell, it's barely worth looking at for free. Same goes for Triangle Business Journal. Garbage all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
While we DO need good journalism more than ever, I've watched the N&O slowly slide into obscurity over the last 17 years as a subscriber.

The main reason, at least for me? The fact that they have gone away from having a lot of local reporters. After McClatchy acquired the N&O Publishing Company in 1995, the focus has been more about cost control than strong local reporting. Open this morning's paper, and you'll see a lot of "local stories" from reporters who are anything but local.

Unfortunately, there really isn't enough money left in the journalism game to warrant a strong local base of reporters. But it's shocking that the nation's 10th most populous state (and soon to be #8) does not warrant additional local reporters in the state capitol.
Yeah, that's happening all over and it's so awful. It's particularly awful for journalists of a certain age who are more than willing to make a transition to digital but are not wanted there (over 40? no thank you unless you're an established superstar already). Every one of the print journos I knew and worked with is now doing something else, except for the sportswriters who are still doing well (but it hasn't been easy and they're in a niche). In NJ, more layoffs are coming and it doesn't even seem possible.

So with that I subscribe and hope for the best, because we need local reporting (think Flint water crisis, Bridgegate) and hey, you never know.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
All of the Carolina Panthers coverage was handed over to Charlotte writers, but I can't argue with the rationale for that. What percentage of stories about Raleigh and Wake are being written in Charlotte or out-of-state?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:13 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
While we DO need good journalism more than ever, I've watched the N&O slowly slide into obscurity over the last 17 years as a subscriber.

The main reason, at least for me? The fact that they have gone away from having a lot of local reporters. After McClatchy acquired the N&O Publishing Company in 1995, the focus has been more about cost control than strong local reporting. Open this morning's paper, and you'll see a lot of "local stories" from reporters who are anything but local.

Unfortunately, there really isn't enough money left in the journalism game to warrant a strong local base of reporters. But it's shocking that the nation's 10th most populous state (and soon to be #8) does not warrant additional local reporters in the state capitol.

Agree with all of this. Its a bad newspaper that doesn't deserve money. No way on earth I'm paying to view their stories online.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
The fundamental issue is that like many brick and mortar retailers, newspapers haven't figured out an effective means to cut over to digital only. If they could shed their costly physical infrastructure the model would work. I pay for content all over the place but only when I deem it worth my money.

The younger generations are going to figure it out because they are unencumbered by the "that's the way we've always done it" mentality. And as we are learning at an accelerated rate, it's dangerous for us to live in a world absent reliable and objective reporting.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:27 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The fundamental issue is that like many brick and mortar retailers, newspapers haven't figured out an effective means to cut over to digital only. If they could shed their costly physical infrastructure the model would work. I pay for content all over the place but only when I deem it worth my money.

The younger generations are going to figure it out because they are unencumbered by the "that's the way we've always done it" mentality. And as we are learning at an accelerated rate, it's dangerous for us to live in a world absent reliable and objective reporting.
Totally. I WANT to support these papers, often, but the content they provide simply isn't "premium" vs what's out there. It's insulting for them to charge, really. They are in real trouble, and it's a good point about the "that's the way we've done it" mentality and the impact there. Will be interesting to see how these papers shift or die in the coming years.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Totally. I WANT to support these papers, often, but the content they provide simply isn't "premium" vs what's out there. It's insulting for them to charge, really.
I agree with you on both counts. I got a mailing for a promotional rate subscription years ago and signed up. The problem is that the people they contract to deliver the paper would drive by and throw it (from their car) in my driveway - except most times they missed the driveway and it landed in the gutter. Made it real nice when it was raining!

I called and complained but after the third time I cancelled.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I just subscribed to the N&O (online only — definitely do not need another piece of paper coming in this house) for the first time in years. I think they actually did a great job covering the NCGA's special sessions and all that brouhaha. I know a couple of journalists and I want to support them.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
I got a 1yr deal Sunday only for 50cent a paper. Not much to read but I use newspaper for all kinds of tasks: spread on counter under cutting board when slicing melons, whole beef tenderloins from Costco, or frying chicken, it covers table when cleaning handguns, pushes down messy trash in kitchen can, I make sheaths for kitchen knives that I carry on vacation to ill-equipped kitchens, I put paper between my non-stick skillets in cabinet. Oh and I get a coupon or 2 now and then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary