Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,878,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The City vs City forum is a good place to ask about two cities in two different states, since when you ask in one state board, you're going to get a biased sample.

Columbia is much more "cosmopolitan" than much of SC, just as Raleigh is moreso than much of NC. You can't judge every city in a state by the geography. Raleigh and Columbia used to actually be very similar, in many ways but Raleigh has exploded with growth more than Columbia has, good or bad.

OP, the most balanced response is this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 AM

91 posts, read 153,681 times
There's not much "movement" in the Columbia forum. I figured I would get a bigger response here, which is why I posted. I think I already knew I wanted Raleigh, but for some reason it helps to have different views/opinions, and not necessarily from someone close to me. My family would want me to stay in NY, and my husband is always on board with "whatever I want to do." You know what they say, people are more likely to write a bad review of something than a good review, so to read everyone say how much they like the area really helps with my decision!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,745,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you get an opportunity to, Greenville is a much better place than Columbia to live!
When talking about NC and SC, you need to specify which Greenville?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:49 PM

6,650 posts, read 5,547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
When talking about NC and SC, you need to specify which Greenville?
HAHA I went to Clemson so for me Greenville is always Greenville, SC

Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,857 times
Please don't move to Columbia, Raliegh is far, far, far superior. Hospitals, education, activities, etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 PM

7,816 posts, read 4,529,887 times
Looked at both. Came here. That is all.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,978,591 times
My niece lived in Columbia, we live in Charleston area and we have friends in Chapel Hill so have visited the Triangle many times.

The differences I came away with are that the Triangle is more progressive (in this case I mean more forward-thinking vs political progressiveness, although there's that too), less "old-boy network" (that might be a Charleston thing, not sure if Columbia is like that), better roads in the Triangle area, more courteous drivers, and much better health care.

My niece doesn't like Columbia much. She says there's "no culture" there. I can't verify either way. We had a fun time during her wedding week, but were only there a short time.

The weather is different - SC has intense heat and humidity May-late Oct, but no snow and rarely ice storms. The temps are cooler in the winter, but the humidity is less in NC. You shouldn't have to worry about hurricanes in NC. We had to evacuate this year in Charleston and it's expensive and a royal pain. My niece nearly lost her house in the last storm prior when the dam threatened to break. You may be a little closer to the beach in Raleigh vs Columbia, not sure.

The Triangle feels more "Cosmopolitan" to me than Columbia. Just my sense based on my short time in both areas.

I'd pick Raleigh in a heartbeat.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Columbia, at it's core especially, feels way more urban and gritty than Raleigh . I'd argue that outside of Charlotte's core, there isn't a city in NC that "feels" more urban and gritty than Columbia, aside from Greensboro, maybe. Raleigh looks pristine, often feels incredibly" "suburby " and devoid of character compared to Columbia. Raleigh really is slowly becoming faceless and devoid of identity. And it's by design. I have a feeling that's what you might be going for, so have at it.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Columbia, at it's core especially, feels way more urban and gritty than Raleigh . I'd argue that outside of Charlotte's core, there isn't a city in NC that "feels" more urban and gritty than Columbia, aside from Greensboro, maybe. Raleigh looks pristine, often feels incredibly" "suburby " and devoid of character compared to Columbia. Raleigh really is slowly becoming faceless and devoid of identity. And it's by design. I have a feeling that's what you might be going for, so have at it.
What do you mean by "gritty" and is that necessary for an urban area? I don't really see any character in Columbia either.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What do you mean by "gritty" and is that necessary for an urban area? I don't really see any character in Columbia either.

Columbia's unique topographical features just naturally give it character. Its a river city with palmettos and it has a variety of architectural stylings in its residences around downtown and the fringes.

It's not all 12 story lofts lol

Gritty meaning. ..the wear and tear on the "face" of parts of the city. ..something you'd see in much bigger cities.

Raleigh is becoming so predictably posh everywhere. Outside of the historic neighborhoods, everything is starting to feel like a sanitized, "facelifted" carbon copy. Columbia's roots are still visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary