Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 AM

91 posts, read 153,525 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am just looking for opinions here. I have a job offer in Columbia SC, but I’ve never been to SC besides Myrtle Beach. I also have an offer in the Raleigh area. Both are pretty equal on the pro/con list as far as the position (nursing) goes. We lived near Fort Bragg for 2 years for a job, but visited Raleigh several times. My question is, if you were presented with the offers, which one would you take and why? I really feel like my decision will be based on a number of things including schools, neighborhoods, things to do, proximity to major shopping, and cost of living. Also, how well my husband will do in the job market. He has a Class B CDL, and will have his Class A by the time we move. We are coming from Upstate NY if it makes any difference. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,306,213 times
Raleigh is a thousand times nicer than Columbia. If you can afford it, I'd go to Raleigh.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM

514 posts, read 599,773 times
I spent 6 years in the Columbia area (my wife and I both went to SC) and have now been in the Triangle for about 7.5 years. Her mom, twin and one other sister still live there, so we go back fairly often. We have considered a move back once or twice but we prefer it up here.

The climate is much nicer up here. The few hours makes a big difference in humidity.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions, if you like.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,248,249 times
Some ball park cost of living information can be found online. These two really are in a different league. Raleigh is part of the Triangle with Durham and Chapel Hill, so in terms of cultural life, shopping and such is barely comparable to Columbia IMHO.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:55 PM

259 posts, read 241,972 times
Only thing I miss about Columbia is quick access to Little Pigs Barbecue. I would expect living in Columbia to be cheaper, but I personally wouldn't have any other reason to consider it.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:02 PM

I've always loved the Triangle area. We visited as often as we could until we left the Ft Bragg area (nightmarish, if you ask me!) We've been back in New York for over 2 years now, and I always told my husband I'd love to go back to NC, if we could live in the Raleigh area. Now that both of these opportunities have presented themselves, I've heard good/bad things about both places, so I've really got to dig deeper. The only thing that strikes me about Columbia, is that ive heard their crime rate is more than double the US average. I know crime is everywhere, but that's a little too high for comfort. I've also heard its super humid in the summer. Im aware of the NC heat, and also aware that schools close with even a forecast of snow, lol. Is it true you guys are getting a Wegmans? Coming from the North, that alone might bring me in!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,306,213 times
I've always loved the Triangle area. We visited as often as we could until we left the Ft Bragg area (nightmarish, if you ask me!) We've been back in New York for over 2 years now, and I always told my husband I'd love to go back to NC, if we could live in the Raleigh area. Now that both of these opportunities have presented themselves, I've heard good/bad things about both places, so I've really got to dig deeper.

The only thing that strikes me about Columbia, is that ive heard their crime rate is more than double the US average. I know crime is everywhere, but that's a little too high for comfort.

Not quite that high, but about 50% higher than the national average in 2014.

I've also heard its super humid in the summer.

Yes. Its surrounded by swamps, so its unbelievable hot and humid in the summer.

Is it true you guys are getting a Wegmans? Coming from the North, that alone might bring me in!

Yes, Wegman's has announced several stores for the Triangle.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...5-wegmans.html

Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,660,255 times
I lived in Columbia (actually, Irmo) for 5 years.

HOT, HOT, HOT!
Housing prices are a lot lower than in this area.
There's still a lot of backwards thinking down there. I visited co-workers out in the country and was told in all seriousness not to stop in certain areas because "they don't like blacks or yankees". Many many people followed up on introductions with "oh, you're a yankee eh?".

I did enjoy my time there regardless of the short comings so I'd suggest visiting both places to get a feel for the area. Overall, this area is a lot more progressive but housing costs are probably 30% higher here.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM

I've heard once you get past NC, there is a lot of closed minded thinking. C_Lan, any input on the conservative/church on every corner aspect in Columbia? I'm really leaning towards the Triangle, though. We plan on renting for another few years, and can afford up to $1200-1300 for the right place. I'm still excited about a Wegmans coming there! The locals will love it for sure, if they've never been. I'm looking for input on schools/neighborhoods. Id be working at the VA Hospital. My current commute is 45 minutes, and that includes dropping children off at school/daycare. I don't want to be in the country. Suburban would be fine.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:37 PM

6,647 posts, read 5,541,546 times
As a Clemson fan, I can confidently state that there is no redeeming quality about Columbia, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary