Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

First post here... planning a move up to Raleigh from SoFlo (but originally from Brooklyn, NY).

Found some relatively good priced homes in the Cedar Hills Condo Complex.

We are a family of three with a one year old son. We see that the Condos are zoned to a relatively good public school.

The condos are also on the edge of what I understand is a growing real estate zone (Midtown).

So what gives with the prices for these condos?

Trulia lists that immediate area as "low crime."

Is that a flop? Should we not move there with our little one?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I wouldn't be terribly fearful of the area, but I also would probably be more interested in one of the townhome style units, rather than one of the flats.
If you are financing, make sure the complex is FHA warrantable, or that your lender has alternate options if it is not.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Thanks so much for your response!

We are actually looking at a townhome unit.

Why do you mention the FHA warrantable option?

Also, are you familiar with Walden Pond condos? How do these two complexes compare?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM

Also, I now see that you are a real estate broker... do you envision this area increasing in value as the surrounding area has?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:19 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontgomeryN View Post
Thanks so much for your response!

We are actually looking at a townhome unit.

Why do you mention the FHA warrantable option?

Also, are you familiar with Walden Pond condos? How do these two complexes compare?
If FHA will not back the mortgage, the unit becomes less liquid, i.e., a bit harder to sell.
Often, that is due to low reserves, or to a very high Non-Owner Occupant to Owner-Occupant ratio.
We owned a couple of condos in Driftwood Manor, at similar price points. Over 75% rental units, and could not get conventional financing at that time.

I think you will find that there is a high rental base in Cedar Hills Condos.
Ask about any assessments for repairs to the properties, or other infrastructure work.
Already, the dues are in the $200/month range.
And, make sure that any unit you buy is available for immediate occupancy, and not under lease that you cannot get in for months.

I guess I like Cedar Hills better than Walden Pond. Surroundings and location.

Note that neither complex has had appreciation in value, if appreciation is part of your plan.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 PM

188 posts, read 151,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontgomeryN View Post
Also, I now see that you are a real estate broker... do you envision this area increasing in value as the surrounding area has?
I see the midtown area not getting any cheaper anytime soon, but my guess is that you won't see wild appreciation on these units, probably ever.

I looked up one unit online, the price struck me for too good to be true given the interior, it appeared to have granite counters, stainless appliances and generally looked in good shape. The exterior of the complex in general looked in bad shape to me in the photos I saw, which of course could be an indicator of a do-nothing HOA, or a HOA membership that just doesn't want to spend to keep the place up.

And, while I'm not claiming to be knowledgeable about these matters, as a buyer I would think that in order to see big appreciation that takes advantage of the location, the exterior complex and grounds would need to be upgraded to "North Hills standards" at some point, and that's not likely to be cheap on a complex from 1972, so I would think the HOA dues would need to rise substantially. And, if it's inhabited mostly by renters and folks concerned more with the price of rent, it seems less likely a major reno like that would be voted in.

So my guess would be you're either left with non-upgraded property that can't appreciate, or upgraded property that appreciates but result in higher fees, and unlikely a single family home you won't be able to choose between aside from perhaps getting involved in the HOA board and influencing the matter, if that's even possible.

I doubt you'd have too much to worry about crime there, other than maybe occasional car break-ins or the stuff that can happen anywhere. You could probably only get a feel for what potential neighbors are like by visiting and spending some time walking around.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:52 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
My parents live near there. It's not a bad area, but it's not great either. Like someone else said, there are a lot of rentals.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 PM

230 posts, read 255,646 times
I would not move there with my child. I don't know if this is still the case, but shady business used to happen there years ago. They are zoned for a fanastic elementary school though, but that could change by the time your child starts Kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: