Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I was watching the news yesterday and they were showing small business owners in downtown Raleigh who said they were losing a lot of money because of the snow. One was a smoothie-type shop who said her business was down about 60% after the snow. Another was a yoga studio who said they normally have about 7 classes per day. Insteady they had none on Saturday, 1 on Sunday, and 2 on Tuesday. Another shop said they were at least grateful that there was some walking traffic in downtown or else they wouldn't have had much business at all. The longer the streets aren't plowed, the more the businesses suffer.
I've owned two businesses (both were sold). Not to be harsh, but this is something those business owners needed to consider in their business plans when they chose those locations.

Sorta like landlords need to realize they aren't likely to have their rental properties leased 100% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'd pay a toll to get my road cleaned :-D

In fairness, I think people in North Raleigh should have to pay a toll to get their streets clean. In Southern Wake County, it should be free. It would go a long way toward healing that wound called the Triangle Expressway and 540.

Really just having fun, I'm totally fine with our snow response here, and have come to accept that we in the south have to pay "toll reparations"....

Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've owned two businesses (both were sold). Not to be harsh, but this is something those business owners needed to consider in their business plans when they chose those locations.

Sorta like landlords need to realize they aren't likely to have their rental properties leased 100% of the time.
Yes, good point. But these were all downtown businesses. I'm guessing they are better off than businesses in the suburbs that rely only on driving traffic. I know Chapel Hill stated that they were putting a better effort into cleaning the sidewalks of downtown this year, and I'm wondering if it's because business owners complained. Of course, that may have affected how slow our roads are being cleared. Our street still hasn't seen a plow. And if our road isn't cleared in the next 4 hours from the sun/plow, then I cannot see how our kids will go to school tomorrow. Three inches of snow should not shut a city down for 3+ days unless that city is named Miami.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 AM

555 posts, read 500,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
"OMG the taxes are so much cheaper down there! I can finally afford that McMansion!"

that winter....

"OMG they do such a terrible job cleaning up snow and ice here!"
I elect this post best post I've seen in 2017 so far!!!

The OP might be a troll, but this post nails it on so many levels!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:18 AM

69 posts, read 76,564 times
Hahaha thanks for putting words in my mouth ^^^ One more, "Where can I buy some studded snow tires for my Volvo down here?"

Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
For the 1-5 days a year lost to snow/ice I'm perfectly okay dealing with it while keeping taxes low.

And on a related note, I was thinking yesterday what with all the pickup trucks down here, why don't more of their owners purchase a plow attachment? Where we moved from on Long Island, the vast majority of snow removal was from a private labor force who used their own personal vehicles with said attachments. I'd kick in $20 per snow fall to have my street plowed. If only half of my neighbors did the same we could easily raise enough money to make it worth someones time. To be sure I had this sized right I just Googled the cost of an attachable snow plow and it can run anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000. You could make that back in one decent weather event.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
For the 1-5 days a year lost to snow/ice I'm perfectly okay dealing with it while keeping taxes low.

And on a related note, I was thinking yesterday what with all the pickup trucks down here, why don't more of their owners purchase a plow attachment? Where we moved from on Long Island, the vast majority of snow removal was from a private labor force who used their own personal vehicles with said attachments. I'd kick in $20 per snow fall to have my street plowed. If only half of my neighbors did the same we could easily raise enough money to make it worth someones time. To be sure I had this sized right I just Googled the cost of an attachable snow plow and it can run anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000. You could make that back in one decent weather event.
A great many of the trucks you see here are 2-wheel drive, and unsuitable for plowing.
And, pushing heavy ice/snow is hard on a vehicle. It's easier to take a few days off, rather than plow snow.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

Those private plows were probably contracted by the town/city. You can't just call a plow guy and have him plow your public road.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:09 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Some of us are now talking about trying to set up some sort of private salting and plowing. This is because:

--three accidents today
--three accidents yesterday
--UPS currently trapped, driver very unhappy
--mail truck crashed
--One car hit by several different cars

Two inches of ice plus hills and shade does not make for a happy "it'll melt soon" experience...

Edit: we really need salt, not a plow

Attached Thumbnails
jan storm 2017-ups.jpeg   jan storm 2017-ice-tuesday.jpeg  

Last edited by NM posts; 01-10-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Y'all don't think this is just a regular trolling you? One post, complaining about snow removal, after all the other threads on the weather?

I think you're being snowed yourselves
First and only post? Seems suspicious. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary