Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:58 AM

26 posts, read 21,522 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We're travelling to the Triangle area this March to see if we would like to move there this August. The other city under consideration is Austin, although for geographical reasons the Triangel area is currently winning. We want to check out possible neighbourhoods and I'd love your suggestions.

My husband and I are in our early thirties and have a 5 month old. We currently live in Dubai and we are British. We can both work from home anywhere in the states so commute is not an issue. We will stay in a serviced condo for the first 2 months and then a rented house for a year before buying if we like and want to stay in the area. Our budget for a rental is 2500 usd/month. We'd like approx 2000 square foot, 3 bedroom house in a friendly neighbourhood. Accesss to cycling paths and good running routes a plus. Other young families a plus. We'd really like somewhere where we could walk or cycle to restaurants and shops. We'd really like a community swimming pool. We'd prefer a vibrant, cosmopolitan area, although I understand that this is the Triangle, not Manhattan!!

I think I covered everything. Please let me know if you need any more info. Look forward to your suggestions

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Just out of curiosity, what visa do you have and how did you both do to qualify?

I ask because I have several family members who live in England and have UK citizenship. Over the years, one or two have considered immigrating to the US. In their situations, VISA'so were not obtainable.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:11 AM

E2 visa- investor visa. We have a property business in the US.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose123 View Post
E2 visa- investor visa. We have a property business in the US.
Thank you for your honest answer to my intrusive question. I'm most appreciative.

I'll leave others to reply to your other questions. As a senior citizen who doesn't bike or hike, I'd be of little help. But as one who has visited England over thirty times (and once in Dubai), if you keep your expectations of "cosmopolitan" in check, this is a great area. Quite a few British expats here - including one of my closest friends, who is involved with several British expat group.

Welcome.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Hi - I'm an Ex-Pat living in NC. We have a facebook group that you might want to join as there are over 120 ladies on there that will be able to give you answers/advise on this - search on FB for British Ladies Around Raleigh.
My English friends just moved from Abu Dhabi back to the UK last year - it's been a bit of an adjustment to them.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Amazing thank you so much DJKB!

Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I know a lot of British folks, too, but I think you all assimilate pretty well. It's not like there are neighborhoods full of British expats or anything.

Neighborhoods with pools are easy to find. The area is super family friendly and not super cosmopolitan — certainly no Dubai or London or Manhattan here.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Surely there are hundreds of UK expats in the Triangle.

https://www.meetup.com/meet-uk-briti...l-cary-expats/

BABC

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...community.html

Welcome to the U.S. and I wish you well.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose123 View Post
Amazing thank you so much DJKB!
If you've requested to join - check your "other" folder for a message...

Old 01-10-2017, 01:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
Out of curiosity - why Triangle? If I could work from anywhere I'd probably chose something on a beach or in the mountains.

There are many similar posts in this forum, make sure to search. One note - pools and biking paths might not be frequently found within a walking distance to the restaurants and cultural life. If you want both then you might have very limited choices.

Google Maps show the subdivision names, you can easily see what is near the shopping areas and then cross-reference the real estate listings. This area is family friendly in general. Note that you might not find kids just playing outside on the streets, but there is no problem finding playmates at numerous parks. Kids Together park in Cary is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary