Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 AM

595 posts, read 676,518 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about planting some hop rhizomes this spring for homebrew use. I'm in the early stages of research but I was wondering if any of y'all had any success growing your own down here and if so, what variety? I believe Cascade has a reputation for being one of the hardiest so I was thinking about growing some of those. One can never have too many pale ales. I'd like to grow 2-3 types. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
not optimistic between heat and humidity there is a reason they're not grown here >.<

Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 AM

26 posts, read 51,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
not optimistic between heat and humidity there is a reason they're not grown here >.<
Might it be more an issue of yield instead of a flat out inability?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There's a little place near Saxapahaw that grows hops. I don't know anything about it except I pass it when we go to a friend's house. It's called Three Horses Hops.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Yea, I know the climate is certainly far from ideal. I'm approaching it more for fun than anything else. My bro in law had quite a nice harvest of cascade and I think Columbus up in Richmond for several years. (Hardwood Brewing does a Local IPA each year. They provide rhizomes to locals and have them bring in the cones at harvest time. Anyone who participates gets invited to a party when they release it. Always found that to be a cool idea.) James Spencer also had some luck in Arkansas, so I figured I should be able to grow something.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There's a little place near Saxapahaw that grows hops. I don't know anything about it except I pass it when we go to a friend's house. It's called Three Horses Hops.
Thanks for that! I'll reach out to them and see if they have any suggestions.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:49 PM

347 posts, read 521,726 times
North Carolina Hops Project

Old 01-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Thanks! There's a lot of great info here.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Beat me to it.

I visited the Lake Wheeler hop farm probably 5 years ago and was able to speak to one of the administrators of the farm. The hop plants at that time were. . . how should I put it nicely. . . pathetic. They only had an acre or two, with a number of different varieties, and many were barely a few feet off the ground.

I have some experience growing hops, but not in NC. I used to grow Cascade (you are correct that they are one of the more resilient) when I lived in north TX. The weather there is drier, hotter, and you get a bit more daylight as there are no 100' pine trees for shade. My 3 plants would grow to over 15 ft tall and I would harvest at least a paper lunch bag of hop cones per plant per season.

Your problem here will be mostly the humidity. It will promote mildew. Find some place with lots of sun, and lots of airflow. Don't jam them into a corner up against a house. Also, they spread by using rhizomes, so try to contain them somehow so that they don't spread into other areas of your garden.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:55 PM

436 posts, read 670,494 times
Big Boss Brewery has grown them yearly in the past - haven't been by in 2 years but assume they still do. Perhaps a call to them will give info? Whatever variety they planted grew prolifically. I've also seen them in several gardens around Raleigh and they seemed to be doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary