Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,550,003 times

Advertisements

I'm really liberal (though I was called a neoliberal by a Bernie voter) - and I wish someone shot him. Was just reading this, though.

Apex teen suffered 46 injuries to face and head in machete attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 01:19 PM

347 posts, read 518,252 times
I'm surprised the tueller drill hasn't been mentioned in this discussion. A knife wielding attacker can cover approximately 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. If you're defending yourself or another person from this attacker, you had better 1) be resolute in your action 2) act quickly 3) don't miss. I honestly question the ability of the average pistol owner to make a lethal shot on an advancing attacker with a head full of adrenaline.

Video of the 21-foot rule

Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I'm surprised the tueller drill hasn't been mentioned in this discussion. A knife wielding attacker can cover approximately 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. If you're defending yourself or another person from this attacker, you had better 1) be resolute in your action 2) act quickly 3) don't miss. I honestly question the ability of the average pistol owner to make a lethal shot on an advancing attacker with a head full of adrenaline.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. That was an integral part of my CCW permit training.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,095,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm really liberal (though I was called a neoliberal by a Bernie voter) - and I wish someone shot him. Was just reading this, though.

Apex teen suffered 46 injuries to face and head in machete attack
I doubt this guy will ever see the outside of a jail cell.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:55 PM

22,621 posts, read 36,563,865 times
Quote:

No, no, no - there's no need for your silly calculations. There can also be no accommodation made for adrenaline and fear....everyone with a CCW will be a perfect calm shooter no matter the situation. It will always be "too bad" they weren't there when "whatever" happened.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,528,638 times
graphic images of victim:

Newly released photos show severity of machete attack | abc11.com

Old 01-17-2017, 06:48 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,661,186 times
Quote:

The difference here would be that someone would approach with gun drawn and aimed prior to saying anything. That 1.5 seconds would not need to account for drawing a concealed gun. However, point taken. 1-3 are right on. Once aimed you have to be certain and be prepared to fire.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,586,561 times
Gofundme has been set up for the victim:

https://www.gofundme.com/priyanka

It's really horrifying what she went through.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM

748 posts, read 1,371,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
My training included:

The Four Rules
  • All guns are always loaded. (Treat them so!)
  • Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot).
  • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Often posted at ranges, and it's on my Evernote! ;-)
How often do you practice shooting?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,661,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
How often do you practice shooting?
You should probably clarify based on what your goal for the question is.

Shooting is one thing. Practicing shooting from concealed carry is another and totally different.

I have never done the latter. I'm relatively new to handguns and recently applied for the CC class at the Wake county range. The thought of drawing and shooting from CC really has me thinking of the preparation involved to consider doing so. Standing and shooting at the range is no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary