Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
What is good at Sheetz? Anything stand out, or just decent gas station food?
Their cheese-curds stand out to me. (They probably hit the spot, at the right time ONCE, and stuck with me).

In general, their subs are good, and you can easily customize or "build your own".

IMO, they are good within the context of what they are. They are cheap, fast food, and compared to subway, or especially other gas-station food, they rate high with me. Also, great variety.

And they have the best Philly Cheesesteak in the area, very authentic. (I have no idea if they even sell a cheesesteak, just trying to keep it light.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Made to order sandwiches are their calling card, but the one time I ate there on road trip I had to stand in a hoard of people for 30 minutes waiting for my food, which was mediocre at best. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but I'm not making plans to try again.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:18 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Made to order sandwiches are their calling card, but the one time I ate there on road trip I had to stand in a hoard of people for 30 minutes waiting for my food, which was mediocre at best. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but I'm not making plans to try again.
Agree. Their food is not terrible, but many times, it's quicker for me to fill up and drive to McDonald's than to wait for them to make a sandwich or order of fries. Some sheetz I've been to has a touch screen at the pump so that you can order something while getting gas and by the time you're done filling up, you can pick up your meal. Not sure if this one will have a touch screen at the pump though.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Agree. Their food is not terrible, but many times, it's quicker for me to fill up and drive to McDonald's than to wait for them to make a sandwich or order of fries. Some sheetz I've been to has a touch screen at the pump so that you can order something while getting gas and by the time you're done filling up, you can pick up your meal. Not sure if this one will have a touch screen at the pump though.
I thought they got rid of that a few years ago after testing it out. They found it wasn't worth the cost.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
I thought they got rid of that a few years ago after testing it out. They found it wasn't worth the cost.
I believe this is correct.

And as for the efficiency, it definitely is not as quick as a drive-through. Opinions vary, but it's (IMO) better than a Subway and about the same amount of effort. When road tripping, it is slower than a drivethrough, but faster than a sit-down. Just about right if you need to stretch your legs and shake the cobwebs out. Especially if you want to wash it down with an energy drink, coffee, juice, or something you'd have to go in for anyway.

Not trying to sell it, just explaining the niche it serves for me.

Oh, and it's ideal for cheap-azz date-night with my sweetie. Not kidding!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
It varies greatly from Sheetz to Sheetz and when you go. Sheetz by the airport - went there one day coming back from Brier Creek area and DD starving - thought she was gonna have to snack on her own arm while we waited FOREVER.. Some stuff better than others. Their salad bowls are good but they can't be any cheaper with the amount of stuff they throw in. Their flatbreads are very good. They aren't that cheap though - I mean it is a gas station after all. You have to be careful what you start adding on. Good in a pinch. They are usually very clean and their prepackaged stuff like yogurt, cheese sticks, etc etc is good if you want a quick snack while traveling. DD loves their mozzarella sticks. DS likes their mac and cheese - but neither of them is picky about either of those food items LOL.

They have free wifi and places to sit down and eat which is good if you don't want to eat in the car.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
What is good at Sheetz? Anything stand out, or just decent gas station food?
I'm not a fan of their food but their coffee drinks smoothies, icees,and milkshakes are quite good. Wish they would run the all speciality drinks $2 like last winter .

Old 01-19-2017, 02:50 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Their cheese-curds stand out to me. (They probably hit the spot, at the right time ONCE, and stuck with me).

In general, their subs are good, and you can easily customize or "build your own".

IMO, they are good within the context of what they are. They are cheap, fast food, and compared to subway, or especially other gas-station food, they rate high with me. Also, great variety.

And they have the best Philly Cheesesteak in the area, very authentic. (I have no idea if they even sell a cheesesteak, just trying to keep it light.)

I've heard their burgers are good surprisingly. Maybe will jump in next time I see one.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
With my luck at McDonald's, I'd get my meal out quicker at Sheetz.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 01-19-2017 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
As far as Sheetz goes, I sometimes go over to the one on Hillsborough here in Durham. It's a nice change from the 15,000 Family Fare and Kangaroo Express stores. The food isn't "BEST QUALITY EVERRR!!!1!1!" but it isn't bottom of the barrel. I tried the sub sandwiches there but found the bread to be too doughy for my liking. I don't mind the burgers, and I really like their cookies that they put in the doughnut case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary