Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 AM

459 posts, read 757,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
not me, I can walk there
Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:15 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If the store is connected to the mall proper, I wonder if they'll move Belk or JCP to the "back" and put IKEA in the "front" of the mall near Dave&Busters?
It's interesting to see what you think of the back and the front. I've always thought that the Walnut side (between Belk & Dillards) is the front.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In in fact the store goes to CTC proper, it will be interesting to see where the store goes and how they deal with egress and parking. IKEAs have a tendency to draw large crowds on weekends and dealing with transportation issues is paramount. If the store is connected to the mall proper, I wonder if they'll move Belk or JCP to the "back" and put IKEA in the "front" of the mall near Dave&Busters? An IKEA/D&B colocation synergy makes sense to me. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them build a parking structure on the property to deal with increased traffic, though the two times I went to IKEA in Charlotte the parking lot was nowhere near full. So, who knows?
I'm just going by the area shown on the rezoning conference request submitted by CTC's owner which shows the area I overlaid with the Charlotte store. The parcels did include the parking lots around the two empty anchors and going all the way back to the aquatics center so a deck could certainly be in the works, but given the traffic to the mall now and the size of the surrounding lots they don't need one (and decks cost $25k per space give or take), though all the people will not be able to park directly in front of the IKEA. If I'm trying to bring people into the mall to drive traffic to other stores and then be able to make more money off higher rents , having them park all around and Walk though is a plus, IMO.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,626 times
I wonder if the aquatic center is involved in any of the discussion (I would assume they are). While it isn't frequent, on weekends when they have large meets, they rely heavily on the mall parking lot around the old Sears and up to JCP on that side. I could see that being and issue when combined with Ikea traffic, depending on wherre the Ikea entrance and loading area end up being.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's interesting to see what you think of the back and the front. I've always thought that the Walnut side (between Belk & Dillards) is the front.
I used "front" in quotes because I know that Ikea will be interested in funneling their traffic from 40 to Cary Towne Blvd and that the JCP side would likely be the "front" in their world view.

IF CTC isn't willing to wipe out a significant part of the smaller mall stores to enlarge the footprint needed for an Ikea, the store will either push into the parking lot toward the aquatic center and/or toward the adjacent SFH neighborhood (which I suspect will be very vocal and highly resistant). I haven't been to CTC in a long time; what happened to the former Sears space or is it sitting empty? What about Macy's old space?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times
Just so everyone's clear on the area CTC wants to rezone:

Sears is currently occupied by Cary Towne Furniture, which opened last May and is currently in the final throes of going out of business. Macy's is empty as far as I know...it's been a while since I was over there.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If I'm trying to bring people into the mall to drive traffic to other stores and then be able to make more money off higher rents , having them park all around and Walk though is a plus, IMO.
IKEA would not be okay with making customers walk through the mall to get to and from their cars. They want their customers to have easy access because they're usually carrying large heavy bags and boxes. They WANT their customers carrying heavy bags and boxes. They want to provide easy access.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
IKEA would not be okay with making customers walk through the mall to get to and from their cars. They want their customers to have easy access because they're usually carrying large heavy bags and boxes. They WANT their customers carrying heavy bags and boxes. They want to provide easy access.
They would have both in the scenario.
There is plenty of exterior frontage on the existing buildings, and no reason to not provide easy access to parking and pick up.
And, the access from the mall is just a plus, a win-win for Ikea and CTC.

Just as I enter Belk's or Penney's from multiple directions, interior or exterior.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
They would have both in the scenario.
There is plenty of exterior frontage on the existing buildings, and no reason to not provide easy access to parking and pick up.
And, the access from the mall is just a plus, a win-win for Ikea and CTC.

Just as I enter Belk's or Penney's from multiple directions, interior or exterior.
I've never seen an IKEA with multiple entrances. The store is laid out as one big circle you have to walk all the way around with the food/checkouts/entrances on one side of the store. I'd be surprised if there was access from the mall.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I've never seen an IKEA with multiple entrances. The store is laid out as one big circle you have to walk all the way around with the food/checkouts/entrances on one side of the store. I'd be surprised if there was access from the mall.
Hmmm.. OK. I haven't been in an Ikea for many years.
Looks like a big project when considering a significant setback from the residential on Ivy Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary